PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Stands

Lefty Red
10-21-2013, 11:40 AM
I live in an apartment and right now reloading with Lee Hand Press. Everything fits in a tool box and its ok. I want to get a reloading stand for a Lee Classic Turret Press. I have been looking at the Lee reloading stand and the Franklin one also. Are they worth it? Or any other ideas?

Lefty

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-21-2013, 11:47 AM
I have used a Black and Decker Workmate for decades now. Sturdy when set up, and folds down compact for travel. I am usually on a job 6 months to 2 yrs. It has logged several thousand miles with me. Right now I have my Dillon 550 and Star sizer on it.

w5pv
10-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Also a pipe stand/vise could be altered to fit your needs.The one with a chain clamp.It will foldup/

David2011
10-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Lefty,

I submitted this last night: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?216726-Looking-for-Organization-Advice-(Doing-Light-Work-in-Living-Room)

Post #15

David

JakeBlanton
10-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Depending upon the design of your kitchen counters, you *might* be able to create a small reloading surface that fit across it and clamped to the countertop on the front and back. This would work best with an island or a peninsula type of countertop. You would clamp the back edge flush with the existing countertop and let the front edge extend over the edge of the existing countertop so that you could bolt your press through it. You could even make it out of a single 2x12 which would be sturdier than even making it out of 3/4" plywood.

Lefty Red
10-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Wow! I never thought of the tool box idea. The the only problem is that I do not have an area to cut to size, but Home Depot will cut it and that might be the best option.

David2011
10-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Yeah, Home Depot could cut a piece to size from a 24x24 or 24x48. I used flat head (not straight slot but true FH screws) to attach the ply so they wouldn't be in the way. The shelf to put the powder scale at eye level was worth the trouble and can be cut with a sabre saw from a 1x8 up to a 1x12. The shelf was assembled with sheetrock screws before bolting the top in place.

I've done the 2-by over a kitchen peninsula as well and it worked fine- but be sure the counter top is well attached. A 2x6 was adequate for my Rock Chucker.

David

Lead Fred
10-25-2013, 07:03 PM
I have always used a portable press board topped card table.
All three of my presses are bolted down, and the rest of the gear is clamped down & removable on the third side of the table.
When Im down, I fold it up, leaving the presses to hang sideways off the table top.
When using Lee Classic loaders I use a 1x12 2 feet long as a lap bench.

dbosman
10-25-2013, 07:14 PM
I've done the 2-by over a kitchen peninsula as well and it worked fine- but be sure the counter top is well attached. A 2x6 was adequate for my Rock Chucker.

Amen to checking that the counter top is well attached.
I was working with a Rock Chucker clamped to the end of a peninsula one time and lifted the entire surface off the base when removing a snug case from the sizing die. A couple of Long deck screws fixed that, but it sure surprised me at the time.

LeftyDon
10-25-2013, 10:53 PM
I live in an apartment and right now reloading with Lee Hand Press. Everything fits in a tool box and its ok. I want to get a reloading stand for a Lee Classic Turret Press. I have been looking at the Lee reloading stand and the Franklin one also. Are they worth it? Or any other ideas?

Lefty

Take a look at the Harbor Freight site for their universal bench grinder stand (plus a couple of other stands) - cost is $33 (on sale for $30) and it has a shelf where you could add some extra weight if you find it is needed. If you don't have all the extras for reloading then take a look at the classic turret kit vs. just the press itself. About the only extras you'll need would be extra turrets and the double disk set.

Lefty Red
10-26-2013, 06:29 AM
I don't do kits. They normally have the cheapest low end item that you end up upgrading in the end. I am starting off with a more quality setup this time around.

I just picked up a NICE Craftsman toolbox that was clearanced out from $550 to $175! Co worker is buying the top box for $100! So my chest is only $75! And its got bearing rollers in the drawls and big deep ones as well. Now to get the top and self material located and cut.

Lefty

LeftyDon
10-26-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't do kits. They normally have the cheapest low end item that you end up upgrading in the end. I am starting off with a more quality setup this time around.

I just picked up a NICE Craftsman toolbox that was clearanced out from $550 to $175! Co worker is buying the top box for $100! So my chest is only $75! And its got bearing rollers in the drawls and big deep ones as well. Now to get the top and self material located and cut.

Lefty

If you buy the kit, about the only thing that' a not all that great is the balance. Maybe the Lee load manual too. But I like to collect manuals, just in case.

OBTW, regarding the Sears tool chest - if the top unit is all caved in, then it might be one of the two that I had to return due to Sears shipping it via UPS and without proper packing. In my case, I ended up with the base unit from Sears and the top from Home Depot (all from the same maker - different labels) Home Depot shipped it freight and it arrived undamaged. Ordered from them after the second one arrived at the local store since I didn't trust them to ship it to me directly. Same results. Then Sears had the balls to charge me restocking fees both times and would not return the fees even after I dealt with the VP of Customer Services. Fool me twice, shame on me. Won't be long before they join WT Grant and Ames in the do you remember xyz when they were in business listings. My family used Sears for everything, but I've given up on them unless others don't have it.

Lefty Red
10-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Nope, my chest was just discontinued. Its got huge drawls and is longer and wider that normal. I was sitting out on the store's floor!

Lefty Red
10-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Oh, and I have Lee's, Lyman's, Horndey, Sierra's, and someone else's manuals. I just picked them up, one a month or overtime pay this year.

Lefty

44Vaquero
10-26-2013, 02:24 PM
I have seen a set up like this mounted on a closet door. I have found most of the reloading stand ideas to be too small, with the exception of the B&D Workmate.

Lefty Red
10-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Nice wall mounted idea!

Well Hell! Tried to get the new tool chest into my apartment door and its too wide! By a good 4 inches! My door way, with everything taken off is only 34"! Only goo thing is I sold the chest to the maintence man for $150! So I am making money. but not progress!

Going tomorrow and look at put together tool benches at Sears and Rural King and Home Depot tomorrow.

I am REALLY leaning towards three 12x2s, 6' long, and stationed on two bottom cabinets. That way the top is removable and can be taken with me. Plus it seems like a simple design.

DEC505
10-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Lefty, would the work bench from Harbor Freight work for you ? Part # 93454. it is 60 " long with 4 drawers. $ 159.99 Hard to build for that.

celem
10-27-2013, 09:42 AM
I use a great workbench from Sam's Club. Might work for you depending on available space.
http://m.samsclub.com/ip/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086

Lefty Red
10-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Guys they are nice benches! The only thing that I don't like about them and just about everyone I have seen around here is the particle board tops! But you are right, I can't build that for what they are charging. And it might be worth getting them and then putting on a solid work surface.

About twenty years ago, my mother's husband had bought a reloading "cabinet" from Midway. It was just a 3'x3.5' cabinet with two shelves underneth. He got a sheet of 3/4" plywood and cut a nice top for it. I think he got it shipped for $99! I used it til just three years ago.
http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/rcbs/products/ultramount-for-rcbs-rockchucker-rc1-rc2-supreme-pro2000
I am liking this mounted on a 12x2 and C-clamped on my table top.

Lefty Red
10-27-2013, 09:57 AM
I really like the Harbor Freight bench! and I have two store within 1.5 hour drive!

JakeBlanton
10-27-2013, 01:41 PM
http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/rcbs/products/ultramount-for-rcbs-rockchucker-rc1-rc2-supreme-pro2000
I am liking this mounted on a 12x2 and C-clamped on my table top.

Those stands are for getting the height of your press to what *may* be a more comfortable height for you. It's going to depend upon the existing height of your table / counter on whether that is the case. Also, that mount is 12"W x 11.5"D x 9-5/8" H. A 2x12 is 11.25" wide, not 12" wide, so would not attempt installing this mount on a 2x12. Depending upon the placement of the mount holes, it *might* actually fit, but those holes are going to be pretty close to the edge of the 2x12 and it won't be that sturdy.

I would try just mounting the press to the 2x12 directly first and see how that works out for you.

Cut the 2x12 long enough to go across the table / counter top plus enough of an overhang so that the press can be installed on the overhang. Use a large pair of C-clamps on the far side to clamp that end of the 2x12 to the counter top. You might need to put a board under the counter top so that the C-clamp isn't touching the bottom of the counter top and damaging it. Use another large pair of C-clamps on the front side of the 2x12 at the front edge of the counter top to hold the 2x12 to it. You also might need the protective pieces of wood underneath it. At this point, you should have a 2x12 going all the way across from front to back plus about a foot or so sticking over on the front for mounting the press. Place the press there and mark where the mounting holes need to be. Determine the largest size bolts that will fit through the holes on the reloading press with no wobble room and get the required number plus washers and nuts. Put large diameter washers (e.g. fender washers) (or heavy metal backing plates) on the bottom side of the 2x12 so that the nut distributes it's force over a larger area.

You might want to be careful about using this on a free standing table instead of a counter top since the legs on many tables are not very sturdy with respect to side loads. It's all going to depend on what you have available from a structural stability standpoint at your apartment. If it is particle board, it might not be very structurally sound. Particle board is only good for vertical loads.

I have seen the 2x12 technique used on a living room coffee tables but it was on a solid wood coffee table that was VERY sturdy. The short legs plus the side pieces that supported the drawer made it quite a bit more resistant to side loads than a dining room table might have been and it was sturdy enough that you could have easily put 500+ lbs on it without it seeming the least bit compromised.

Since you said that you are in an apartment, it is going to depend upon what your landlord will allow you to do. If he won't allow you to do much more than hang pictures on the wall, you're not going to be able to mount a table against the wall. If he would allow 4 hole through the sheetrock and into the wall studs of maybe 1/4" or 3/8" diameter, you can mount a horizontal piece of 2x6 with lag bolts and then create a folding reloading top that mounted to this 2x6 with door (or gate) hinges (with bolts going all the way through the wood instead of just screws and the hinges mounted on the grain end side of the top).

LeftyDon
10-27-2013, 01:54 PM
My reloading bench is the H.F. wood working bench. I bought it when we moved to NY state a couple of years ago. The top is made from 1" hard wood and I bought a bunch of plastic hole plugs at the hardware store to plug the holes in the top intended for stops used in conjunction with the wood vise located at the right-hand end. A future project is to reinforce the top with a piece of 3/4" plywood or maybe a 2x6 or 2x8 glued and screwed to the bottom side of the top in the area of my Lee turret press that's mounted to the Lee quick change system metal plate. I wanted to reinforce the mounting area and am using the metal plate to spread the load over a wider area. However, the bench is working just fine, as is, so far. I did use Titebond III wood glue all the joints when assembling the bench to be sure that it wouldn't come apart. Harbor Freight is just like Sears, never buy anything there that's not on sale. Got mine for about $125 on sale.

W.R.Buchanan
10-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Lefty: as mentioned early on, a B&D Workmate with a 2x3' piece of plywood clamped in the vise jaws is a sturdy and easy way to get up and running in a confined space like you have.

I used mine for years and now my Bro in law is using the same board on his Workmate. He has his Dillon 550B mounted of one side and his Rockchucker on the other. This piece of plywood has been in continuous use as a Reloading Station since 1976.

It cost $12 for the plywood board and 4" strip to screw to the bottom to use for clamping, and the WorkMate was about $40 at the time.

They are still under $100, and can be used for a lot more than just holding your reloading tools. They work pretty well as a gun vise too.

Randy

nicholst55
10-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Depending upon the design of your kitchen counters, you *might* be able to create a small reloading surface that fit across it and clamped to the countertop on the front and back. This would work best with an island or a peninsula type of countertop. You would clamp the back edge flush with the existing countertop and let the front edge extend over the edge of the existing countertop so that you could bolt your press through it. You could even make it out of a single 2x12 which would be sturdier than even making it out of 3/4" plywood.

Be careful trying this! I broke a kitchen counter top trying something similar. Just make certain that you use a large enough piece of wood to spread the stress over a large area.

Lefty Red
10-27-2013, 07:52 PM
I think I have found a winner! I didn't know how it was used til you added pictures! :)
Lefty

BruceB
10-27-2013, 08:51 PM
At this very time, I am "shopping" (on line) for a suitable bench to set up in my soon-to-be apartment. Lowes', HF, Sears and WalMart all have reasonable-looking benches, at prices far less than the cost of building an equivalent from scratch..

I believe I may have either Home Depot or Lowes' cut a piece of synthetic-faced (i.e.: washable) plywood to fit the top, or maybe get a metal shop to cut a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet to size for me.

Another option that occurs to me is using inexpensive, plain ceramic tile, which would be almost unbreakable. The only drawback I see to that, is that special drill bits would be needed for mounting equipment....but durable? in spades!!!

JakeBlanton
10-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Another option that occurs to me is using inexpensive, plain ceramic tile, which would be almost unbreakable. The only drawback I see to that, is that special drill bits would be needed for mounting equipment....but durable? in spades!!!

Ceramic tile breaks pretty easily if it is not supported correctly. It works great when you have it mounted with mortar on a concrete floor, but on anything that flexes or if it is not fully supported, it can break.

With the 2x12 design I previously posted, it can create some flex / stress in a counter top and if your counter top is stone (e.g. granite), you might very well crack it. I was thinking of the laminate type counter top when I posted it since they have quite a bit more give in them.

Without seeing what the OP has for an apartment with respect to counter tops, construction quality, and available area, we're just guessing on what might work for him.

LenH
10-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Lefty Red, as to your post #19. I have a Dillon 550B and used it for years with the strong mount mounted to
a 2X10 and clamped to a work table in the kitchen. When done I put the cover on the press and stored it in a closet.
Sometimes you do what you have to do.

Ehaver
10-29-2013, 01:47 AM
Piece of 2x6, mount press to that and a powder measure, use C clamps to clamp it to the kitchen counter or dinner table. when you are done just un clamp and put it away.

I currently use a folding table as a work bench. its about 5x3 foot.

JakeBlanton
10-29-2013, 03:01 AM
The "strong mount" is not going to make your press any sturdier and in fact could make your press less sturdy due to the additional height allowing you to have more torque to twisting motions. The strength of your mount is going to be dependent upon the weakest point in your mounting system. The only reason to use the "strong mount" is if you need more height and your mounting surface is so weak that you need to distribute the load a bit. If you are just using a piece of plywood for a mounting surface, I could see how you might need to distribute the load a bit, but if you are using something as massive as a 2x12, I don't see that as an issue. The only issue might be how close the front set of holes might be to the front edge of the 2x12, but that would be an issue for a piece of plywood also. Since this is a turret press and as such, you will only be operating on a single case at a time, I don't foresee you needing to generate enough force for the location of the front bolt holes to be an issue.

Mike 56
10-29-2013, 03:08 AM
I built this reloading stand years ago i have loaded in almost every room in my house, motels, tent, RV, shooting range but mostly in my garage next to 6 foot folding table it's sturdy and lite you can make it any height you want comes a part fast and easy and is cheap to make. http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/portablereloading/index.asp

Lefty Red
10-29-2013, 04:36 AM
Thanks everyone. I think the B&D Workmate is the winner for me, now that I have seen it in pictures! Its the simplest, quickest, and priced right.

I do like the Surplus Rifle's portable bench, and have saved the PFD file for future use.

LEFTY

grumman581
10-29-2013, 01:44 PM
I built this reloading stand years ago i have loaded in almost every room in my house, motels, tent, RV, shooting range but mostly in my garage next to 6 foot folding table it's sturdy and lite you can make it any height you want comes a part fast and easy and is cheap to make. http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/portablereloading/index.asp

When I bought my first press off a guy on Craigslist a few years back, he had a reloading press stand very similar to that made by Frankford Arsenal that he tossed into the deal.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/images/catalog/155024-main.jpg
http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/frankford-arsenal/catalog.asp?product=Portable-Reloading-Stand

It worked, but not as sturdy as I would have preferred. It easily disassembled, so it could be stored in a small area. Of course, the fact tht it could be easily disassembled just made it less sturdy. It was good enough for when I got started though. These days, I am more likely to just use it as a very small table to hold my beer.

Mike 56
10-29-2013, 04:26 PM
That is a nice looking stand to bad it is not sturdy enough. My homemade stand is very sturdy I used two layers of 1 1/8 plywood the top is 1 foot x 1 foot and the bottom 36 inches round.

mold maker
10-29-2013, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=LeftyDon;2448206]My reloading bench is the H.F. wood working bench. I bought it when we moved to NY state a couple of years ago. The top is made from 1" hard wood and I bought a bunch of plastic hole plugs at the hardware store to plug the holes in the top intended for stops used in conjunction with the wood vise located at the right-hand end. A future project is to reinforce the top with a piece of 3/4" plywood or maybe a 2x6 or 2x8 glued and screwed to the bottom side of the top in the area of my Lee turret press that's mounted to the Lee quick change system metal plate. I wanted to reinforce the mounting area and am using the metal plate to spread the load over a wider area. However, the bench is working just fine, as is, so far. I did use Titebond III wood glue all the joints when assembling the bench to be sure that it wouldn't come apart. Harbor Freight is just like Sears, never buy anything there that's not on sale. Got mine for about $125 on sale.[/QUOT

That bench is on sale now for $139. and you can find 20-25 % discount cupons for additional savings.

W.R.Buchanan
10-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Lefty: now that you've figured out how to mount your tooling, you need to get off your **** and get that Marlin Guide Gun so we can start loading some ammo.

Randy

grumman581
10-30-2013, 02:29 PM
That is a nice looking stand to bad it is not sturdy enough. My homemade stand is very sturdy I used two layers of 1 1/8 plywood the top is 1 foot x 1 foot and the bottom 36 inches round.

It's as sturdy as it needs to be to get the job done. It's light weight and portable. I'm not really concerned with the portable aspect of it, so I would have preferred it to be a bit heavier so that even on a carpeted floor, it wouldn't wobble.

Where do you find 1 1/8" plywood? The thickest that I've ever seen in any of the building supply stores is 3/4".

Mike 56
10-30-2013, 03:09 PM
You can find 1 1/8 plywood at any lumber supply here in Ca they use it for subfloor.

grumman581
10-30-2013, 03:13 PM
You can find 1 1/8 plywood at any lumber supply here in Ca they use it for subfloor.

Must be one of the earthquake requirements. I've never seen it around here. 3/4" is used for the subfloor as far as I know around here. If they needed more, I suspect they would just put a double layer of 3/4" and rotate them 90 degrees.

Mike 56
10-30-2013, 03:17 PM
No it's cheaper they put the joist 4 foot on center.

grumman581
10-30-2013, 03:34 PM
No it's cheaper they put the joist 4 foot on center.

I don't think they used 4 ft centers on subfloors around here even when they were using 2x12s for the subfloor. 2 ft centers are the widest that I've ever seen and 16" centers are common in some of the older *well built* homes. I knew one old house very close to the coast in Gulfport, MS who built his house with the studs, rafters, and joists on 12" centers. This house survived Camille and Katrina with only superficial damage to the siding in a couple of places where objects had been blown into it.

MacFan
10-30-2013, 04:41 PM
This is what I use so I can move my Lee turret press from room to room. It's a Harbor Freight universal grinder stand, it was 29 bucks on sale before a 25% off coupon.
I welded wheels (also Harbor Freight) to the backs of two legs so I can tilt the stand back and roll it around.
Works perfectly for my needs.

grumman581
10-30-2013, 05:15 PM
This is what I use so I can move my Lee turret press from room to room. It's a Harbor Freight universal grinder stand, it was 29 bucks on sale before a 25% off coupon.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85868

I welded wheels (also Harbor Freight) to the backs of two legs so I can tilt the stand back and roll it around.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85869

Works perfectly for my needs.

Considering the weight of most grinders, I would think that this might be sturdy enough.

Of course, you need another one to hold your beer...

Lefty Red
10-31-2013, 07:14 PM
Well I ordered the B&D Workmate today, should be here next week. In the mean time, picking up a sheet of plywood tomorrow and cutting it to size. Will post pics when done, but doubt its going to be a good looking as the original.

Lefty

W.R.Buchanan
10-31-2013, 10:09 PM
Lefty: just make sure when you screw the 4" wide piece to the bottom that you use screws that don't poke thru the top. Also it's not wrong to radius the corners a little.

Now did you get that Marlin Guide gun yet? Times a wastin'.

Randy

Safeshot
10-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Menards in Indiana has the "Tool Shop" brand folding (clamping top) workbenches (small) that can be used as a good portable loading bench with a proper solid top (which can be removable) added. Diagonal braces added on each side make it even better. It can also be used as a portable "Shooting Bench". Not the greatest, but very handy, portable, usable and fairly light. I have used one for years and it is still "useable". Just an idea that might be what is needed. Safeshot

Lefty Red
11-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Lefty: just make sure when you screw the 4" wide piece to the bottom that you use screws that don't poke thru the top. Also it's not wrong to radius the corners a little.

Now did you get that Marlin Guide gun yet? Times a wastin'.

Randy

LOL! Guide Gun is in layaway and wil be mine in 90 days! Earlier if I sell my SBH. :)

Lefty Red
11-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Safeshot

I looked at those and really didn't like them. I think Home Depot had something like the B&D too, but didn't like the plastic feel it had. For $65 shipped, I got a B&D Work Mate. No regrets.

Lefty Red
11-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Well, made it down to Paducah to see what Harbor Freight had. Their work bench was ok, but their wood working table is it! I am going back down the end of the month when its going back on sale. For $159, you can buy the wood to build it!

But til then, will set up the Workmate. Like it was stated earlier, I will use it for a gun working vise as well.

Lefty

LeftyDon
11-04-2013, 01:34 PM
The H.F. wood working bench is what I use for my reloading. Works great and buy on a sale or with a 20% off any item coupon. A couple of assembly suggestions. One, glue (I used waterproof Titebond III) and use the supplied screws if you aren't planning on taking it apart during a move. Two, get some plastic hole plugs at your hardware store for the holes in the top. I think it's the next size larger than 1/2", but it's been a while since I bought them for mine. Three, the top is only one inch thick and you could glue and screw a 2x8 or thick plywood under the area that you'll mount your press. I've not done that yet and it is holding up, but I'm also using the Lee quick mount plate and screwed down it down from the top and with large washers under the nut on the bottom side. Lastly, reloading press will cover some drawers if mounted on the front and the Lee quick disconnect allows me to store a few rarely used items in the blocked drawers.

Lefty Red
11-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks Don! I will get that done!

jonk
11-04-2013, 04:21 PM
I built one for my summer house and got one from harbor freight (cheap version of the Black and Decker one) for my apartment. The only thing that was a downside for the apt one: too light. I solved that by hanging a few heavy weights (100 pounds total or so) from it but it's far from ideal. Thinking I might need to make another....

Norbrat
11-04-2013, 06:44 PM
But til then, will set up the Workmate. Like it was stated earlier, I will use it for a gun working vise as well.

Lefty

Here are the parts I made to use my Workmate as a gun vice.

The orange "pegs" to fit the holes in the table top are electrical conduit; turns out they fit perfectly.

And I've drilled through the front piece of timber and have a dowel to hold the timber up when you loosen the vice, otherwise the timber falls away and you have to catch the front of the rifle.

Lefty Red
11-04-2013, 07:49 PM
I built one for my summer house and got one from harbor freight (cheap version of the Black and Decker one) for my apartment. The only thing that was a downside for the apt one: too light. I solved that by hanging a few heavy weights (100 pounds total or so) from it but it's far from ideal. Thinking I might need to make another....

All of the HB stands were too light and fragile IMHO.

HATCH
11-04-2013, 08:33 PM

Thanks for this post.
I am gonna move my star to that and set it up automated. Free up my bench.