PDA

View Full Version : .308 load for hunting?

Ruckmanite
10-21-2013, 09:56 AM
What .308 cast mold do you guys recommend for deer hunting? I bought the Lee 150 and get good accuracy with it and Unique, but was concerned about its quality for taking game? What say you experts?!

shredder
10-21-2013, 11:14 AM
I have the same boolit and it blows up milk jugs with impressive authority at 100 yards when pushed to 1950fps in my 30-30 cast of half wheelweights half dead soft. I think a heavier boolit may perform better at slightly longer ranges.

For me within 100 yards the little lee 150 is proving to be a great candidate for hunting. Accuracy and bore fit, muzzle velocity and impact range. Those are my criteria for selecting a hunting boolit. I need an accurate load with a game capable boolit (flat nose) at a suitable velocity and range. I have a 1.5 inch capable load at 1950 looking for broadside shots on 200 pound whitetail within 100 yards or so. This load is, in my opinion, just perfect in this niche.

Years of comparisons have shown me that the milk jug test is a fair predictor of game performance. If your boolits sail through a 1 gallon plastic milk jug full of water with the cap on at 100 yards and just let the water out, you should likely not be hunting with that load. I want that jug in shreds, 6 foot high water burst! Flat nose is your friend on game.

Dthunter
10-22-2013, 01:31 PM
I shoot the Lyman 311299 (200grain). Gaschecked

Imr4831.

2347 fps average. A hard hitting load indeed!

Heading out this week to hopefully smack a muley doe and whitetail doe.

Hope to see a decent whitettail buck along the way!

Dthunter
10-22-2013, 01:34 PM
I have the same boolit and it blows up milk jugs with impressive authority at 100 yards when pushed to 1950fps in my 30-30 cast of half wheelweights half dead soft. I think a heavier boolit may perform better at slightly longer ranges.

For me within 100 yards the little lee 150 is proving to be a great candidate for hunting. Accuracy and bore fit, muzzle velocity and impact range. Those are my criteria for selecting a hunting boolit. I need an accurate load with a game capable boolit (flat nose) at a suitable velocity and range. I have a 1.5 inch capable load at 1950 looking for broadside shots on 200 pound whitetail within 100 yards or so. This load is, in my opinion, just perfect in this niche.

Years of comparisons have shown me that the milk jug test is a fair predictor of game performance. If your boolits sail through a 1 gallon plastic milk jug full of water with the cap on at 100 yards and just let the water out, you should likely not be hunting with that load. I want that jug in shreds, 6 foot high water burst! Flat nose is your friend on game.

Good to see a fellow canuck on this site!
Good luck on your whitetail hunt! They are big bucks there too!!!