PDA

View Full Version : casting question

badguybuster
10-21-2013, 09:52 AM
I know this is gonna sound silly but how do you resize cast boolits? I keep reading where ya'll are resizing them but I was under the impression that whatever they came out of the mold as it what they were sized at? Again, I do not cast my own....yet

Kraschenbirn
10-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Try a Google or Bing search for Lyman 450 and you'll find just about all the info you'll ever want on 'resizing' boolits.

Bill

w5pv
10-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Figure out the size you need and then acquire a sizing die kit from one of the several dealers.I like Lee products my self but sometimes they don't have the exact size you need and you may have to go to another manufacturer to acquire one.There is plenty of information on the web that you can use.Have fun.

bangerjim
10-21-2013, 05:03 PM
I have a set of 10 different sizing dies from LEE that I use all the time......B4 and after PC'ing my slugs. Gotta know your bore size first.

They work in a single stage press......most guys have one just for that purpose.

Very cheap..........less than $20 each.......and well worth it......a MUST HAVE!

All the supply houses sell Lee sizing kits, when they are in stock! This madness is getting worse! [smilie=b:

banger

super6
10-21-2013, 05:13 PM
I went the Magma Star way, I know, Money to burn... Just had to have it!

StratsMan
10-21-2013, 05:15 PM
As to the 'how' part of the OP question...

The links above provide information about presses and the dies for lubing and resizing. The user chooses which diameter to use, inserts the die, and the power of the press forces the boolits through the die, sizing them to that diameter. So a mold for 45ACP may drop at .454 or .455, but the shooter can choose whether to insert a die for .452 or .453.... same mold can be used for either size...

Driver man
10-21-2013, 05:23 PM
When you resize , you are forcing a boolit through a die which reduces it to the size of the die. You cannot resize up in size.

Sensai
10-21-2013, 05:46 PM
You cannot resize up in size.
Weeellllllll, you can size up a little bit. Then you can Beagle them if you need a little bit more. But that's a whole nother topic.:smile:

eljefeoz
10-21-2013, 07:04 PM
I know this is gonna sound silly but how do you resize cast boolits? I keep reading where ya'll are resizing them but I was under the impression that whatever they came out of the mold as it what they were sized at? Again, I do not cast my own....yet
Hi Badguy,
I had your questions a few months ago and what I learnt was:
1. FIT is king. The cast bool it has to be just the correct size for your particular gun.
2. Depending on your mold and alloy you use, the cast projectile can and will vary in diameter.
3. to achieve the the best fit, seat the gas check, wipe off the excess lube , the best way is to run the cast projjies thru a sizing die.this is similar to a reloading die, fits on a standard reloading press, works the same way.
4. Say your mold is dropping 0.287" projectiles for a 7x57 and you have previously determined your barrel/ throat etc and found that the correct fit required is 0.285"
5.So, you buy a Lee 0.285 sizer die, mount it on your press, and push the 0.287" cast bool it thru it( similar to pushing a case into a decappping/sizing die) difference is, the CB passes completely through the sizing dies and emerges on top and Voila, you have a 0.285" CB that's just right for your gun.
Can be done faster than it took to read/ type this. For a hands on demo, try ,what else? YouTube

Cheers