PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Jig

Sasquatch-1
10-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Has anyone used the jig in this video for trimming 40 S&W for jackets? How did it work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu7XHWKuGpk

Cane_man
10-21-2013, 11:31 AM
that looks really nice, no i have not done this but i think i will make one like it later this Winter to trim 9mm to make 180gr 40SW... i would try to clamp the jig down somehow it looks a little 'loosy goosy' to me

Sasquatch-1
10-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Actually I believe the jig is screwed to the saw. Or you could make it like a saddle where it would fit over the plate snuggly.

sprinkintime
10-21-2013, 12:30 PM
that looks really nice, no i have not done this but i think i will make one like it later this Winter to trim 9mm to make 180gr 40SW... i would try to clamp the jig down somehow it looks a little 'loosy goosy' to me

Cane man; I think the setup looks real good, I think you could hold a good tolerance cutting them off with this set-up, since he is pulling them back against a stop, just my opinion. Also using a carbide cutter would help in doing mass quanities . Sprink

deltaenterprizes
10-22-2013, 06:01 AM
Nice simple set up!

Forrest r
10-22-2013, 07:04 AM
That's a very nice setup for the 300 blackout but it wouldn't be able to trim 9mm or 40s&w or any other small cases. The jig is feeding the cases in from the wrong side for the smaller cases. There's too much space between the end of the saw (right side) & the guard.

The other thing I found interesting in that video was that the operator never stopped cutting to lube/wax the saw blade. I use nothing more than either an old candle or a bar of soap to lube the blade on my hf saw setup ever 10 cuts or so. Simply leave the saw running & hold the wax/soap against each side of the blade for a coupe seconds. The saw will cut thru the brass cases like butter when the blades lubed.

DukeInFlorida
10-22-2013, 09:26 AM
I had chuckbuster (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?10754-chuckbuster)make me a custom SET of spring loaded pop through fixtures, similar to the one made by another guy. The other guy's fixture was designed to do the 300 blackout trimming, but I saw immediate use for trimming the other calibers I use for swaging, 9mm, .40, 45 acp, 223, 5.7X28FN, etc. All the fixtures are pop through design, and install into a fixture plate with pins, and then a locking screw. Takes mere seconds to change from one fixture (caliber) to another. And, the fixture plate has an adjustable screw to allow for the length to get adjusted. So, for example, I can trim 45 ACP brass to virtually any usable length for making .500 magnum bullets. And, can swap out the 45 acp fixture in seconds, and be trimming 9mm cases to any length for making .40 bullets of any weight. Etc. It's an ingenious design. And, for the money, it was a wonderful way to trim all possible brass I use for swaging. The fixture plate fits the Harbor Freight chop saw.

You might check with chuckbuster, and see if he'll make you one for the various calibers you use. It's as easy to use as the cutter in the video, except its much more versatile. I had intended to make a video of the fixture in operation, showing the features, etc. However, my cancer treatments got in the way. Maybe when I get to Florida (two weeks), and get unpacked.

Sasquatch-1
10-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Do you have a picture of this jig or a link to see one?

I had chuckbuster (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?10754-chuckbuster)make me a custom SET of spring loaded pop through fixtures, similar to the one made by another guy. The other guy's fixture was designed to do the 300 blackout trimming, but I saw immediate use for trimming the other calibers I use for swaging, 9mm, .40, 45 acp, 223, 5.7X28FN, etc. All the fixtures are pop through design, and install into a fixture plate with pins, and then a locking screw. Takes mere seconds to change from one fixture (caliber) to another. And, the fixture plate has an adjustable screw to allow for the length to get adjusted. So, for example, I can trim 45 ACP brass to virtually any usable length for making .500 magnum bullets. And, can swap out the 45 acp fixture in seconds, and be trimming 9mm cases to any length for making .40 bullets of any weight. Etc. It's an ingenious design. And, for the money, it was a wonderful way to trim all possible brass I use for swaging. The fixture plate fits the Harbor Freight chop saw.

You might check with chuckbuster, and see if he'll make you one for the various calibers you use. It's as easy to use as the cutter in the video, except its much more versatile. I had intended to make a video of the fixture in operation, showing the features, etc. However, my cancer treatments got in the way. Maybe when I get to Florida (two weeks), and get unpacked.

Forrest r
10-23-2013, 07:58 AM
You guys are waaaaaayyyyy to high-tec for me. I found that a simple small machinist v-block & a couple other things I had laying around would easily get the job done.

A small v-block with a 40s&w case next to it.

I simply put the v-block in the saws hold down fixture & tightened the hold down screw. The cases to be trimmed sit in the v of the v-block.

I used a small sq of metal & secured it (2 self taping screws) to the side of the saw & drilled/tapped a hole in it for a bolt. The bolt acts as a stop & is adjustable so cases can be trimmed to any length.

A hacksaw blade was used to hold the cases on the v-block when cutting. Simply put a case it the v-block lift the hacksaw blade (held on 1 side with a riser bolt/pivot), place the hacksaw blade on the case & slide/push the blade to the left (holds the case against the stop) & lightly push down on the blade to hold the case in position.

It's very low-tech but it works.

scarry scarney
10-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Forrest

I like it, KISS! (Keep It Simple St**id or something like that)

Cane_man
10-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Forrest is the King of Kiss!!! dude knows how to get stuff done correctly, in a simple and cost effective way... i look at his stuff and go doh! that was right in front of my eyes why didn't i think of that...

Dryball
10-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Everyone here has great ideas but I think I may be a little thick-headed. I prefer simple but have to ask...for trimming cases with a taper (223, etc.) when using a v-block how do you keep the the front of the case elevated to make a cut square with the base?

DukeInFlorida
10-23-2013, 03:23 PM
I knew you'd ask. As soon as it gets unpacked in FL, I will do a video (now that I know how).
I don't know if chuckbuster took any pictures before he sent it back to me.

Do you have a picture of this jig or a link to see one?

Buckrun
10-23-2013, 07:26 PM
This is how I modified a Harbor Fright saw for my needs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJLTZWZ9_8

chuckbuster
10-23-2013, 08:56 PM
I knew you'd ask. As soon as it gets unpacked in FL, I will do a video (now that I know how).
I don't know if chuckbuster took any pictures before he sent it back to me.

Sorry no pictures taken but should have drawings etc. so the engineering part is done. Duke gets the video up go ahead and PM me here if interested.
Kevin aka chuckbuster

Forrest r
10-24-2013, 02:31 AM
Kiss, now that's funny!!!!
I always tell the misses "I shaved today just so I can get smacked by those sweet lips"

I don't do 300 blackout or other tapered cases, if I did I'd simply drill & tap a hole next to the v in the v-block for a screw/pin that could be raised/lowered (adjustable) to hold the tapered case level.

There's probably 1000's of ways to modify 1 of these little saws. They're an excellent tool for trimming cases quickly & producing a quality product.

Sasquatch-1
10-24-2013, 06:54 AM
I think I found a fairly reasonable way to trim the 40 S&W for jackets. I recently purchase one of the Lee 3 jaw chucks for holding the brass by the rim. This chuck goes in the drill. An old tubing cutter I had in a tool drawer, place over the case and flush up against the chuck gives me a very good length for a soft point or hollow point bullet. I guess the length of the jacket could be changed by finding other tube cutters that had less thickness to cut off more case or a washer glued to the chuck to retain more length to the case.

I was using the HF saw but could never get an even cut across the mouth of the case and had to even it up with the case trimmer. A lot of extra time. I will try to take a couple of pictures to show how it works.

I tried making a quick and dirty version of the jig that I posted at the beginning of this thread and still had the problem with the mouth of the case not being even.

midnight
10-24-2013, 07:20 AM
851968519785198I use a RCBS casetrimmer to cut off cartridge cases. I clamp the case in the shellholder which holds it square and move the whole case trimmer to adjust length. I think BT uses the same method. For cutting copper tubing I make an Aluminum block with a hole in it the size of the tubing with holes for stop pins to determine length. I'll post a couple of pics.

Bob

Sasquatch-1
10-24-2013, 10:16 AM
OK, Here is what I am using now.

These are the tools I use. Here are the sku numbers and names of the lee parts used.

Lee 3 jaw chuck SKU 90608 MSRP: $15.98

Lee Case Spinner Stud SKU 90607 MSRP: $3.98

The 3 jaw chuck mounted in drill

Tube cutter placed as close as possible to 3 jaw chuck

Final result.

No need to do any additional trimming so on to annealing.

Cane_man
10-24-2013, 10:18 AM
i know some guys use the RCBS Trim Pro to hold the .40SW cases for trimming with the HF special

Lizard333
10-24-2013, 12:38 PM
i know some guys use the RCBS Trim Pro to hold the .40SW cases for trimming with the HF special

This is what I use. I am thinking I am going to modify the first persons design to trim some 40 cases down.