PDA

View Full Version : how much is to much

daniel lawecki
10-20-2013, 11:34 PM
I paid my friend 30.00 dollars a hour today. He help but but he.s my friend I won,t say how much i made a hour. I,m a who I,m my friends go back 30yrs plus and I,m blessed so giving my friends money dosen,t hurt my. Is this wrong for being a person who has the income to help people? dan

smokeywolf
10-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Always tried to stick with the concept of "a fair days' wage for a fair days' work."

I suggest you imagine the situation reversed. If you were your friend and your friend was you, how much would you feel was a fair days' wage for the work you did.
Then maybe add a little extra, but not so much that he feels like he didn't really earn it.

smokeywolf

338RemUltraMag
10-21-2013, 09:21 AM
I would be happy with 30/Hr for most any work, but like said above, if you dont think it is worthi it then it isnt.

RED333
10-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Well since you asking here, something is wrong?
For me I dont pay friends in money, trade work, goods or what ever.
Now if it is money they need then it is a gift up front.

BrassMagnet
10-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Well since you asking here, something is wrong?
For me I dont pay friends in money, trade work, goods or what ever.
Now if it is money they need then it is a gift up front.

I concur.
I have even found occasions when a loan was appropriate. Here are the terms I have offered in the past to people in need:
Six months same as cash. If six months passes and times are still too tough, then it becomes 12 months same as cash. Now I add some additional restrictions. Here they are: I loan you cash. You pay back cash. I loan it as one payment and you pay it back as one payment when you can. I will never ask for it. I will never tell. I will never admit to loaning you money. I will never mention it. You do the same.
I never loan when someone asks for a loan. If I see someone in a short-term bind and they are preparing to sell a family treasure to stave off financial disaster, then it may be appropriate to offer my terms. I never loan more than I can gift and I never mention it again.
I learned as a young man you can destroy friendships with loans and I learned family almost always abuses the trust. These terms are for co-workers, acquaintances, and those others which you really should not loan to. Face it, it is probably against the rules to loan to them.

Alvarez Kelly
10-23-2013, 12:09 PM
I infer from your message that your friend was helping you with a money making job. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

With that in mind, I think offering someone pay for work is far better for all concerned than offering a handout, loan, or gift. I pay my casual, unskilled labor $10 an hour. I pay a carpenter friend $25 an hour. I pay my licensed plumber $80 an hour. I am happy with the value they provide, or I wouldn't be hiring them again and again.

Pay is generally commensurate with skills and/or efforts required. A skilled or semi-skilled helper working in a dirty or physically difficult situation should earn more than someone sweeping the floors inside a temperature controlled building.

That's my take on it anyway.

daniel lawecki
10-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Yes it was a paying job of mine and since it was a out of his trade I still paid him the wages he makes. So i,m sorry if I came across wrong I was very tired when I posted.

jmort
10-23-2013, 06:23 PM
No way to second guess a decision you made. Erring on the side of generosity is never a bad idea.

daniel lawecki
10-23-2013, 11:56 PM
jmortimer thanks some times at work we get free test products. So when I get cases of test products I pass them on to friends. I can,t say what companies or what products but they are always good products that people use.

CastingFool
10-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Years ago, I worked with the railroad "extra" gang. We got paid every two weeks. One friday, one of the guys asked me to loan him $5. and said he would pay me $7.50 the following monday. He was waiting for me the next monday, and handed me $7.50. This got to be a regular thing, and I don't remember how long this went on afterwards. I was curious but never asked what he did with the money I lent him, nor did I asked how he got $7.50 to pay me back.

jeepvet
11-01-2013, 06:40 PM
I agree with jmortimer. You can not go wrong with a little generosity. I also agree that loans are almost never a good idea. If you can not afford to gift the money, don't let them have it. Now, if someone is doing a job for you, a fair days wages for fair days work is the way to go. If the person is in need and you can afford to be generous, that is the loving action of a true friend or Christian brother. It doesn't matter if you call it "paying it forward" or "doing for the least of these", helping others is how we show we care, just like on this forum. As we rednecks say, You Done Good!

DRNurse1
11-02-2013, 07:52 PM
+1, Mr Lawecki. Good work, and paying for our friend's work up front is a good thing.

I notice that most folks will accept 'help' if they feel like they are earning it. In my neighborhood it is much harder to just give someone something you think they need, even if it is nearly worthless to you and clearly of value to them. So this was a win for both of you and I commend your effort.

**oneshot**
11-10-2013, 08:27 AM
I have a freind whom I hire to do jobs I can't do. I can't pay him by the hour as we tend to get sidetracked doing said jobs, but I do give him money and a tank of gas money on top of it. I have to hide the money in his truck while he's busy elsewhere or he won't take it. I tell him to call me when he gets home, or if he needs to stop for gas. I know he needs the cash.

Garyshome
11-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Pay them what you think they're worth. If it's not enough then give em' a 12 pack too!

Catsmith
12-05-2013, 10:16 PM
I never loan money to friends or coworkers. Too many times there are hard feelings down the road. On the other hand i will give to those in need. If they are uncomfortable with that i will biy something from them with the understanding that it will be in the gun safe until they want to buy it back. Usually it is something of far less value than what money they need. If they never buy it back so be it.

Back to the original question, your generousity is your business and your choice. Keep up the good work!

jonp
12-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Never loan money that you expect to see again especially to family. Always consider loaned money a gift.

I can't really think of a job I would not do for $30. Some people will not accept money as a gift or "charity" but will work for it if you have something that truely needs doing. I'm like that and so is my brother-in-law. In fact, most of my family is like that. If you saw someone in need of money but who would not take a gift then having work for them and paying them whatever you want is just fine.

My sister and brother-in-law hit a rough spot when he lost his job and she was laid off. They would not take money from anyone but since he is a good mechanic I had him do some work on a vehicle for me in his garage. I also had a few things sitting around and I asked him if he knew anyone that might want them and told him I wanted $X for them and set the price low. Anything over that he could keep. Since he is a good butcher also when I shot a deer I had him do the work. I told him that since I didn't have a freezer if he cut me up 5lbs of steaks and a roast I'd take those and the antlers and come back and get a steak when I wanted one. The rest was his.

Worked for both of us.

jonp
12-06-2013, 09:05 AM
i infer from your message that your friend was helping you with a money making job. If i am wrong, feel free to correct me.

With that in mind, i think offering someone pay for work is far better for all concerned than offering a handout, loan, or gift. I pay my casual, unskilled labor $10 an hour. I pay a carpenter friend $25 an hour. I pay my licensed plumber $80 an hour. I am happy with the value they provide, or i wouldn't be hiring them again and again.

Pay is generally commensurate with skills and/or efforts required. A skilled or semi-skilled helper working in a dirty or physically difficult situation should earn more than someone sweeping the floors inside a temperature controlled building.

That's my take on it anyway.

$80/hr?