PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99 Takedown Rebarrel???

358wcf
10-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Gents-- Bringing and old 99 takedown out of mothballs and injecting some new life in the old girl- She's a standard 22" 22HighPower Takedown, straight stock, and still shoots ok, as in 2" at 50yds with some old handloads with Hornady jacketed bullets at moderate velocity. Her finish is gone, her stock is in poor shape, and she needs to be rebuilt to be presentable for another 100 years-
Question is- how difficult or advisable would it be to simply remove the barrel and have it rebored to perhaps 30-30? I miked the OD of the muzzle and came up with .563"- I would really love to have it done up in 35-30 or 38-55, but don't know if there is enough steel there to do the job- I compare the muzzle diameter to my Winchester M94 in 38-55 and find it is only .585 which is not much more, is it? Best to stay with the 30 cal bore, I think-
Since JES likes to do only the larger bores, 33 and up, any recommendations on who to do the 30 cal rebore? I guess all I need to ship is the barrel?
Since the 22HP and 30-30 are the same case, this should work fine in the rotary magazine, shouldn't it? Any problems lurkings out there I'm not seeing? All recommendations are welcome, please-
Thankyou in advance--
Chuck 358wcf

codgerville@zianet.com
10-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Don't know if this will help, but many years ago, ( 1962 ), I had one that would keyhole at 50 yards. Really liked the thing so took it to a gunsmith I dealt with, he sent the barrel to P.O. Ackley and had it bored to 30-30. I had to do a little file work on the spool to make it feed, but it made a fine shooter. It got away from me in a divorce.

John Taylor
10-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Check with clearwater reboring @ Delta gun smithing. If I remember it will run about $250