PDA

View Full Version : .54cal Hawken BP Loads

olereb
10-20-2013, 07:51 PM
I have a .54cal Hawken rifle that I was hoping some of y'all would give me some proven/used loads for. I will be shooting plain lead round balls and for now just doing regular target shooting,i have plenty of Goex FFG powder on hand. Thanks a lot for any suggestions,so far I have been hearing around 80g FFG is a decent load without to much recoil.

fouronesix
10-20-2013, 09:24 PM
80 gr FF is as good as any and really the recoil of any sane RB load will not be bad.
One thing nice about BP is that you can experiment a lot without getting into trouble.
I've found that for target loads you can start low (maybe around 50-55 gr)- and work up in 5-10 gr increments and usually find the most accurate. What's really nice is when that "most accurate" load is also the cleanest. Doesn't always work that way but something to watch for. When changing from one load to another during the testing, it's a good idea to clean and swab so there is a consistent "base line" for each new load.

And it's not entirely the charge or granulation that determines most accurate either- there are a bunch of other things that come into play. Patch material and thickness, lube, ball diameter, amount of load pressure, the rifle itself, the sights, the shooter, etc. All those variables are not necessarily bad. After all, wouldn't be much if it there was no range time and no challenges.

Nikkisdad
10-21-2013, 08:14 AM
I use ffg goex, 90 grains with .530 ball & .010 pillow ticking patch = outstanding accuracy. I lube the patch generously seat the ball/patch with enough force to ensure it is seated on the charge. From the bench using a rear bag and front rest I have (when I do my thing correctly) have had them touching at 100 yards...is there anything better then that at that range? Try it....

mooman76
10-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Proven loads don't really mean a whole lot because they have not been proven in your gun. Start out with 55gr and work up in 5 gr increments to figure out what does your gun best.

IROCZ
10-23-2013, 01:41 AM
I use the 300 grain Lee REAL bullet with 100 grains of 2f Geox and it shoots great out of my .54 T/C Hawken. Cast from pure lead of course.