PDA

View Full Version : 40-65 Hiwall boolit

bullshot
11-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi Guys
New to the forum. Have a Cimerron 1885 Highwall in 40-65 Win. Looking for someone that can direct me to a mold that works well in this rifle or for that matter just the cartridge. It has a 1 in 18 twist. .400 bore ,.408 groove. I tried some bought 410 gr sized .410 which shoots 4in at 100 yds with 5744 powder. Rifle has Soule rear and a globe with spirit level front. Also tried same boolit with accurate 8700, much unburned powder and a group looking like buckshot at 20 yds. Any comments would be appreciated.
Bullshot
NRA Benefactor

looseprojectile
11-05-2007, 08:44 PM
I have the same rifle. Mine doesn't have $500.00 worth of sights:( I did put a Lyman peep on it though. I have tried 5744 , 4759 , AA 7 , 4895 , unique , Varget , lil gun , and trail boss.and some other powders and also tried card wads and filler.

I bought the RCBS 300 grain CAS mold from Buffalo arms. I get about the same results you do. Sometimes I get a good group going and the bore starts to lead.
If I back way down on the velocity to escape leading it does not shoot tight groups.
My problem has been I have too many new guns to load for and they have priority
until I tire of them. I will be getting back to the 40 65 soon and as soon as I come up with a good load I will post it here.

I was afraid I had got the wrong boolit. I got some 264 grain .406 boolits with the rifle and the previous owner was not impressed with the accuracy of those.
I have never tried them. Way too small in diameter.
I have considered getting the 400 grain mold to solve my problem. Maybe the soloution lies elsewhere. Am almost to the point of trying black powder.

Welcome to the forum

JeffinNZ
11-05-2007, 10:12 PM
group looking like buckshot at 20 yds. Any comments would be appreciated.
Bullshot
NRA Benefactor

I didn't think our man Buckshot looked THAT bad at 20 yards!!!!!:Fire::-D

looseprojectile
11-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Buckshot looks like------------ like buckshot!!! :castmine::-D

montana_charlie
11-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Any comments would be appreciated.
You said 'any comment'.

Your bullet weight seems to indicate it is about the right length for your rifling twist...even though you didn't mention the actual design number.

Are you confident your barrel has not become lead fouled?
What alloy are you using?
What velocity are you generating?

These are questions which should help someone help you...when the 'someone' with 40/65 experience shows up.

If you get to thinking about using black powder, send a PM to 'Rambunctious' for some advice. His wife, Linda, shoots a 40/65, and she placed pretty high at the last Quigley...higher than he did, actually.

She's also one hot-shot bullet caster...
CM

wills
11-05-2007, 11:52 PM
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/410-390-pb.jpg

nei handools

DonH
11-06-2007, 09:17 AM
I will preface my comments by saying that Dale53 can speak better to this issue than can I. That said, I have been shooting .40-65 in a Shiloh rifle for a number of years. The predominance of my shooting with the round has been with black powder so I certainly don't consider it to be "last resort". I have shot a fair amount of smokeless in the rifle including 4227, 4759 and 5744; nearly all of it with the RCBS 400 grain CSA bullet. When I, as well as others shooting the rifle, have done my part the rifle pretty easily shoots 2 moa and under at 100 yds and has done 1 1/2 to 2 moa to 400 yds. With 4759 and 210 grain jacketed revolver bullets it shot @ 2moa at 100 yds with the buckhorn-type barrel sight.
I don't know how much help my experience can be due to my loading having all been at BP pressure levels in this round. My Shiloh has a fairly tight fitting chamber so my loading routine is that once fireformed I no longer full-length resize until the cases start to chamber hard. I have alterenately neck-sized or not sized at all (taht with BP). BP is, of course, loaded to case capacity and compressed; smokeless has been loaded with a small square of toilet tissue as a wad to position the powder. Wads made of vegetable fiber or plastic .030" to
.060" thick are used over black powder. Bullets have been mostly lead/tin alloy ranging from 20-1 to 40-1 with 30-1 being preferred. Some alloy containing antimony has been used but more leading has occured with bullets of this metal. Lube is my own consisting of beeswax, tallow, a vegetable oil and lanolin. Bullets are seated to just touch the rifling. Cases are belled just enough to facilitate starting the bullet without damaging the base then "crimped" just enought o straighten out the bell.
The only real variation to the above routine is that full-length resizing is sometimes used with smokeless loads. My barrel is 1-16" twist so will stabilize the 400 grain bullet adequately. Your 1-18" barrel may like something a bit lighter on the heavy end. I have been told that both the 300 and 350 grain RCBS bullets work well as does the Lyman Snover bullet. Note: these are all plainbase bullets.

Hope this helps. Don't give up - and do try other powders!

bullshot
11-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the input guys
To answer a few questions. The rifle is new,maybe 100 rnds down the pipe. As I said the only boolits fired were purchased. Saeco mold 740, 410gr. Alloy is said to be 92% lead,6% antimony and 2% tin. The lube is Magma hard blue. I slugged the bore to be sure it is what it is supposed to be,and it is. Have had some other thoughts in that I'm uing Redding dies. If I full length the cases(Starline) the dies bring the necks to.406 then the expander opens the mouth a few thousands to accept the boolit but the remainder of the neck stays at .4006 and the boolit is forced through. I'm going to try a Lyman M die and see if that makes a difference .

looseprojectile
11-06-2007, 11:15 PM
The mold I have drops boolits at near .411. When run through my sizing die which I made out of a spare .357 die they are smooth .410.

I can size them and you can add your lube. Might try liquid alox.

These boolits have four grooves, one for crimp which makes the over all length of the cartrige just right. Also the grooves are quite small so should be excellent for LLA.
I have not tried LLA.