PDA

View Full Version : new casting technique I found out about (pics)

andremajic
10-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Ok, so this is called cuttlefish casting. It's an ancient technique used by the egyptians and greeks to cast jewelry and other objects.

I'm using this technique with a cuttlefish shell that is available at pet stores. They're used by parakeets to chew on. Next time you're buying some ground walnut shells, pick up a few. They're cheap.

Cut it in half with a hacksaw, then start sanding down the soft side on a piece of 80 grit sandpaper on a flat surface.

Get your object you're trying to duplicate and press it half way into one side of your shell, it's pretty soft, but can break if you put too much pressure, so easy does it. (You can also carve freestyle into it if you wanted to, but I'm not that great of an artist.) Next get some small ball bearings and smoosh them into the mould half way as well. These will be used as reference points when you rejoin the halves.

Next, carefully line up the halves and smoosh them together until you have no air gap between the two. This part is where you're most likely to crack the mould if you're not careful. Take them apart, and voila! (you can see the upper left corner is cracked. It will still be wrapped with wire to keep it together, so don't worry if yours cracks. As long as it doesn't go thru your pattern you're ok!)

Next, you're going to have to carve a sprue into the material so you can pour your molten metal, and a couple vent lines going out so that air can escape. I only had to carve into one side to do this.
Wrap it tightly with wire. If you don't the molten metal will leak out wherever the path of least resistance is.

Next hold it upright in a sand filled pot, or as I did, hold it in the vice. The only issue with the vice is that it tends to crush the mould, but it will hold together well whatever isn't bound with wire.
I melted some pewter to use with this in a ladle. The important thing to remember is that you just want to heat whatever metal you're pouring to just turn liquid before you pour. The longer it stays molten, the more it will burn the mould out. Cuttlefish is a very good heat insulator and takes quite some time to cool.

Go make a sandwich or something and let this have PLENTY of time to cool down. It won't cool as fast as aluminum or steel moulds do, and will take quite some time to solidify.
Then, unwrap the wire, and carefully seperate the halves. If you look closely, you can see the fractures where the vice cracked the mold, so this is only good for one use.
Success!
Now, if you carefully remove the cast object you can re-use the mold. If you're casting gold, silver, or something that melts hotter, the mold will burn too badly to re-use. It stinks like burnt bone, so don't do this in the kitchen!

After trimming off the sprue and vent line flash, you can sand/file and finish profiling. I did this as an exercize to see if it would be easy enough to cast some jewlery at home from scrap silver or gold. Since the pewter was so successful, next time I'll be using silver. The above pic shows 3 rings I have cast that are in different stages of profile and polish.
Hope this helps someone else. I know that I never knew about this technique, and was tickled pink to find out how easy this is!
If you buy a shell, go ahead and get 3 or 4 for just in case you make a mistake or break the mould

On the ring finger is my wedding band, the other is the ring I finished.

I'll post some more pics when the crucibles come in that can melt PMs.

Andy

markinalpine
10-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Great post! Thanks.

Mark [smilie=s:

w5pv
10-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Learn something new every day Thanks

smokeywolf
10-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks andremajic, well written post. I will likely try this at some time in the future.

smokeywolf

Duzy
10-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Really cool stuff.

woody13
10-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Wow thanks that was a good one. Now there is some use for the zinc I have.

dbosman
10-22-2013, 07:42 PM
If you should ever need a large box of cuttle fish bone, ask the local feed store to order a case for you.
I used to wholesale pet supplies. This was one product I repackaged and sold at a very nice mark up.

blikseme300
10-23-2013, 07:32 AM
Awesome post. I will pass this on to a friend who does jewelry as a hobby. We had so much fun together learning how to do spin casting using old used dental casting equipment.

Doc_Stihl
10-23-2013, 08:38 AM
That's a neat setup.
Before attempting to melt silver or gold you should read up on what it takes. I had a hankering for a silver bullet a while back and it was ALOT more involved than I thought. I was suprised to see the mold material and temp requirements are high compared to pewter.

filthygovmploye
10-29-2013, 12:09 AM
^^expecting werewolves???! hahah cool project idea no matter the reason

op, now just make some bullet molds!

andremajic
11-11-2013, 03:52 PM
^^expecting werewolves???! hahah cool project idea no matter the reason

op, now just make some bullet molds!

That's too easy, but it would get expensive to use 1 shell per boolit! Maybe you could do it lengthwise and have a six banger mould from two shells.
After the silver cools the shell is burnt out and not re-usable.

Andy

CastingFool
11-11-2013, 10:23 PM
I have used the lost wax method to make some rings for my wife and my mom. Your method certainly requires a whole lot less equipment. May have to try that some time. I still have a small chunk of silver in my shop.

John Allen
11-11-2013, 10:58 PM
I have also been thinking of doing some projects with pewter this just makes me want to do it now

douglasskid
11-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Wow!! something new to try. THANKS

andremajic
11-13-2013, 11:45 PM
My next project is some 1911 grips in either pewter or silver.

Still finding out what casting materiel will work best, but from what I've read, small parts can be done in plaster of paris and vermiculite mixed together.
I'm thinking that a little fire clay mixed in, or coating the inside of the mould might work best.

Another option is fine sand mixed with 2 part epoxy to make the female mould. Fire clay (bentonite) is mixed with alcohol and then sprayed on in a mist, and then set on fire to burn off the alcohol. This allows very smooth casting with high temperature alloys like bronze.

Andy.

Garyshome
11-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Those Egyptians had more than a few tricks up their sleeves.

nanuk
11-15-2013, 04:58 AM
do you have any concerns about the lead content in pewter causing health issues?

or does pewter contain no lead?

andremajic
01-08-2014, 03:54 PM
do you have any concerns about the lead content in pewter causing health issues?

or does pewter contain no lead?

Modern food service pewter doesn't have any lead in it.

Older or unknown source pewter may have lead content. You will need to know what it came from before deeming it safe.

If you're really paranoid, you can pick up lead test kits from the home improvement stores for a couple bucks.

Andy