View Full Version : Muffs versus plugs

roysha
10-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Seeing the Radians Ear Plug thread brought this to mind and I didn't want to hijack that thread so....

Many years ago when hearing protection first really became popular, I was told by people supposedly in the know, that muffs were far superior to plugs, either custom molded or just simple foamys, because of the noise being blocked that was transmitted to the inner ear via the bones of the skull.

Can anyone shed a little authoritative light on this subject? Certainly the plugs are easier to shoot with but loss of hearing is not really a good option for a little convenience.

Artful
10-20-2013, 06:38 PM
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/prevention/ppe/ear_prot.html

rockshooter
10-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Artful:- good reference, thank you!
Loren, retired clinical audiologist

wrench man
10-20-2013, 11:58 PM
They say what I've found in the "pros and cons" in the link, if you wear glasses (safety glasses for me) the muff aren't worth a ****! plugs are the way to go, muffs NEED to be completely against your head to work correctly.
My ear plugs are in and out of my ears several times every day, I prefer the silicon type, they are much easier to put in and stay clean as you don't have to touch them with your fingers.

paul h
10-21-2013, 03:11 PM
I use both, the more sound you can attenuate, the better.

Hardcast416taylor
10-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Growing up on a farm, doing alot of shooting as a young man, working in loud mechanical type jobs, 10 years in a grey iron foundry, involvement in loud sports. I always thought the ringing in my ears was a temporary thing, it wasn`t. I wore E.A.R. foam plugs for the last 30 years along with muffs if the noise level was real high. Today I am 65% deaf in my right ear and 60% in the left. Don`t think that the ringing in your ears after shooting with no protection will fade away tomorrow, it has already done ear damage and will only grow worse by your practice of no protection.Robert

w5pv
10-21-2013, 03:38 PM
It just gets worse(hearing) I wear both the plugs and the muffs.

dbosman
10-21-2013, 05:02 PM
I'll chime in here. As a kid no one knew about ear protection. As I got older it was a nuisance most of the time.
Too much was too much though.

I've been tested. While my hearing is excellent for some reason - I can't differentiate much.
Restaurants are generally not a pleasant experience because I hear everything everyone is saying at pretty much the same level.

Protect what you've got before it becomes a problem.

oscarflytyer
10-21-2013, 09:59 PM
muffs are better than plugs, due to bone transmission. THAT is assuming a perfect muff seal. If you are wearing shooting glasses - and you SHOULD BE! - then muffs are not nearly as good! W/ glasses, plugs are probably better. I wear safety glasses, and a lot of times I wear both plugs and muffs for handguns (mostly indoors). For rifle and shot gun (mostly outside) I use plugs - shoot skeet low gun and the DING! of the butt hitting the ear muffs unnerves me! Same on a rifle, I can't stand the muffs hitting the stock, the Ding, or the seal breakage I get when I snug up real tight to a rifle stock.

jameslovesjammie
10-22-2013, 08:21 PM
At the range, I use both. I've got hearing damage from work and play, and I want to save what I've got left.

bruce drake
10-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Exactly!I know I'll be using hearing aids soon enough. No reason to hasten that day!

At the range, I use both. I've got hearing damage from work and play, and I want to save what I've got left.

wch
10-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Years ago an MD that shot on our pistol team told me to use both the ear plugs and the muffs.
I still do.

500MAG
10-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Huh?..

John Boy
10-23-2013, 06:38 PM
People should wear a hearing protector if the noise or sound level at the workplace exceeds 85 decibels (A-weighted) or dB(A). I wear hearing aids in both ears. They have 3 channels and #2 cut out at 85 decibels ... ergo can hear at the range and have hearing protection also

Kull
10-23-2013, 09:35 PM
I wear both now. Totally screwed up and for years never wore anything during any activity I should of been wearing them.

Big Rack
10-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Look at that bird hard to believe he can hold a note so long isn't it? What'd you say, one more time? Ah to be young and not so dumb! My ears ring all the time between .357's with bare ears and Harley's with straight pipes. Sometimes some ones vocal pitch just seems to be right there where I just can't catch them. I find standard earplugs make my head feel full of water the "sonic valve" type seem to work, best for me though is the sonic valve ear plugs and electronic muffs I can still hear but the bangs sure get muffled.

Hardcast416taylor
10-24-2013, 01:56 PM
You can always tell 2 ex grey iron foundry workers by the way they are talking to each other. They have their mouth to the other man`s ear and are shouting, even in a quiet surrounding!Robert

atr
10-24-2013, 09:03 PM
I use both,,,,,I have already experienced some hearing loss due to work, play, military service etc. and I don't want to lose any more !

MT Gianni
10-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Ear plugs at work are rated from 26-33 db depending on the manufacturer. My muffs said 22, and I don't wear them anymore due to glasses and hats.

wch
10-25-2013, 06:16 AM
Huh?..

'Zackly.

marvelshooter
10-25-2013, 07:07 AM
I wore foam plugs under muffs for .22 gallery shooting for years. I recently tried some silicone plugs and soon realized they work so well that the muffs add nothing and now they stay home. Several guys wear the custom fitted plugs - not the DIY Radians - and claim they work well alone even shooting big pistols indoors.

Bullshop Junior
10-25-2013, 07:18 AM
From my experiance plugs work better. Muffs are easier. But plugs seal better. I was a dumb kid and with the amount of shooting and stuff I did as a kid I have hearing loss at 20 and it's not fun.

ubetcha
10-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Reading this post, I see a lot of people using silicone plugs. Where can one get them and under what name?. I my have to start using them if they work well with or without muffs. The club I belong to just rebuilt the firing lines and extended the roofs towards the targets to help avoid excessive muzzle elevation as to not over shoot the targets. Now it's louder under there than before. Extra protection will help.

country gent
10-25-2013, 11:22 AM
After years of being in press rooms listening to big stamping presses hammer, Farm Tractors running at full power for 6-10 hours straight, gun fire both indoors and outdoors, loud cars and motor cycles, lawn mowers ect ect my hearingis gone. My daughter has to really speak up now since her voice is in the tone range affected the most. I now wear both plugs and muffs. Under a covering or indoors the concussion is almost as hard as the actual noise levels. Th club I belong to is adding concrete floor and covering to the rifle ranges firing lines to include gravel boxes over head. The firing line is going to be centered under the covering. This will greatly increase noise and concussion levels when finished. Waiting to see what the 45-90 sounds like under it.

Garyshome
10-26-2013, 11:28 PM
If it's Hot i use plugs if it's cold muffs work really well. My hearing is all messed up from listening to loud rock music when I was younger.

daengmei
10-27-2013, 02:28 AM
We use foam and silicone both at work. Here is a couple silicone types that you won't get dirty (at least hand dirt, lol) and have a cord so they will stay around your neck when you take them loose or pull the cord out like you see on the bottom ones (same type corded in the bag). I don't like the neck cord. 3M is marked on one but they both are from EAR. Not sure where they come from but use Google or Amazon and look for "silicone earplugs". Lots of brands. I use the triple flange, the mushroom type are too loose and come out too easily. Dumbo maybe? I've also seen other silicone at Walgreens, CVA pharmacy, Wal-mart, even Lowes and Home Depot. Just about any place that sells high noise tools and equipment...saws, lawnmowers, drills. Even gun shops!

HighHook
10-27-2013, 03:30 AM
I CANT HEAR YOU, WHAT!!!

Especially at the range with all those muzzle breaks out there we use both.

WILCO
10-27-2013, 06:09 AM
I've worn the 3M Brand of ear plugs for many years during various activities. I've suffered no hearing loss due to their use and my most recent hearing test shows to that fact. Feel free to use them with confidence.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
10-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Empty .40 brass or 38 special brass when I get to the range and realize I left my plugs behind.

williamwaco
10-31-2013, 06:01 PM
I wear both and I can most definitely tell the difference.

Two is significantly better than one.

And - the louder the blast the more better it is.

canyon-ghost
10-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Howard Leight "Leightning Magnum" earmuffs: http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/leightning The good ones go above 29 decibels.

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max The max comes in large boxes.

waco
11-03-2013, 08:53 PM
:DI wear earplugs all day long at work. I'm used to them. It's all I wear when shooting. Still have great hearing at 39.:coffee:

CanoeRoller
11-03-2013, 11:44 PM
I wear both plugs and muffs, it is a noticeable improvement over just one or the other and if the ear muffs are not perfect due to my glasses, the plugs will help compensate for their lack of a perfect seal.

My Dad was pretty much deaf most of my childhood, it is not just for yourself you are protecting your hearing.

The only up side to a deaf parent is if you mumble correctly, and at the right time, the answer to the question is always, "What? What? Sure...Whatever!"

So the excuse to Mom was always, "Dad said I could."

JakeBlanton
11-04-2013, 02:39 AM
If you wear glasses, muffs do not work as well. Depending upon how noisy is the environment, I often wear both. If I'm just at a bar with really loud music, I just wear the plugs.

David2011
11-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Most of my exposure is at pistol matches so the noise isn't as bad as with rifles except for the open class guns. Over the years I've had 3 different sets of electronic earmuffs. The Howard Leight 'Impact Sport' electronic muffs are the best I've owned and also teh least expensive. I bought them after using a friend's set. They amplify low sounds well, shut off quickly and recover very quickly after the shot. Some makes take a few tenths of a second to recover which prevents hearing a bullet impact a steel plate or other target. I wear shooting glasses and the thin temples do not noticeably affect the sound suppression.

When hunting we use them so we can talk as necessary. They keep the ears warm and amplify the faintest whisper to intelligible speech while a deer or pig 100 yards away doesn't seem to notice. We've repeated this several times so I feel it's well tested.

I don't shoot heavy magnum rifles but they're adequate for a 16" .223 and a .22-250 that both bark pretty good. My 6.5x55 isn't as loud as either of the .22 bore rifles so they're completely adequate. Around other rifles at a range, especially near compensated/flash suppressor rifles, the molded-to-fit ear plugs plus the muffs are required. I haven't shot indoors for years so have nothing to compare there.

David

GARD72977
11-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Start shooting a Muzzleloader and ditch the hearing protection!

Crash_Corrigan
11-05-2013, 12:38 PM
I have a Ruger .30 Carbine Blackhawk revolver. I have never heard of a louder firearm than this one. It is absolutely ridiculous and wearing a pair of earmuffs and earplugs are pretty much required if you spend any amount of time shooting this revolver. It is accurate way beyond what I expected and easy to load for. The biggest problem is getting enough brass.

GLL
11-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Both ! Especially when firing .22 Rem Jet ! :) :)

Jerry

uscra112
11-06-2013, 10:34 PM
:DI wear earplugs all day long at work. I'm used to them. It's all I wear when shooting. Still have great hearing at 39.:coffee:

So did I. At 39. Now I'm 69. Huh? Whatsay, sonny?

yoter
03-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Prefer good quality muffs.

wch
03-21-2014, 07:10 AM
Years ago the NRA suggested using both plugs and muffs; that's what I do whenever it's practical.

MrWolf
03-21-2014, 12:31 PM
I was stupid like most and never bothered with ear protection. When my son was 16 and started shooting trap, I bit the bullet and bought both of us a set of the custom injected ear plugs that are moulded to your ear canal. They are not the best for trying to have a conversation but they really make a difference with the loud noises. He wanted a set of muffs so he could listen to music while shooting. He was wearing them one day when a guy at the range was shooting something with a bit more bark - he went right back to the molded ones and said they were way better so.. I still have problems hearing my daughter at times because of my younger stupidity.

bobthenailer
03-21-2014, 12:54 PM
I usually use both the plug & muff.

Larry Gibson
03-21-2014, 01:17 PM
I usually use both the plug & muff.

+1.

Wear both as when your hearing is gone.....it is gone........protect your hearing as much as you can. Ask me how I know......huh?

Larry Gibson

nicholst55
03-21-2014, 01:24 PM
+1.

Wear both as when your hearing is gone.....it is gone........protect your hearing as much as you can. Ask me how I know......huh?

Larry Gibson

I agree with Larry. After a career in the Army I spent a year working for the Air Force as a contractor. It was very enlightening to see how they approach things differently than the Army, including hearing protection. The Air Force actually measures the sound an activity creates (like shooting), and bases their recommendations for hearing protection based on the decibel numbers. Most applications where the Army recommends either muffs or (typically) plugs, the Air Force mandates the use of both. At any rate, I normally double up with hearing protection now, in a belated attempt to save what little hearing I still have.

c1skout
03-22-2014, 08:45 PM
I use both, depending what I'm doing. Muffs are all different in how they work with glasses. If you have thin wire frame glasses that hug your cheeks well and use muffs with a thick, flexible seal they can still work out. Pistol shooting I wear plugs and muffs. I usually only use plugs with rifles, my muffs all have large earcups that get pushed out of place when shouldering rifles.

DCM
03-23-2014, 08:03 AM
As others have said I use both.
This allows me to use thinner muffs when shooting rifles so they do not interfere with the stock & gives max protection when shooting handguns.
My hearing stinks already, I need to keep what I have left.

6bg6ga
03-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Years ago the NRA suggested using both plugs and muffs; that's what I do whenever it's practical.

I use both all the time

JSnover
03-23-2014, 08:44 AM
I found the plugs more comfortable and they don't interfere with glasses. The muffs win hands-down on cold days. My ears never get cold under those. Use both for max protection.

Mike Kerr
03-26-2014, 02:24 AM
I use both plugs and muffs on most occasions when shooting indoors. Outside I use which ever offers the most practical and effective protection. Both is definitely better for maximum protection. To bad I did not discover this fact until after I spent more than half a lifetime shooting with inadequate or no protection.

uscra112
03-26-2014, 05:14 AM
Awful lot of guys in the auto plants where I used to work had no clue how to insert the plugs. Gotta roll 'em up tight and insert 'em quick so they seal.

I've used EAR plugs since they first came out - in the '70s I think. Added muffs about year 2000. SIL got me a set of the electronic ones for Xmas 2-3 years ago. Would never be without 'em now, but I still use the foam plugs.

BTW according to the plant safety/ergonomics people at GM, the soft plugs do not work as well as the EAR ones. I presume they had data to back that up.

w5pv
03-26-2014, 11:51 AM
I am 70 plus a few years wear hearing aids in both ears and still don't hear worth a durn.I have to get an inturpturer to understand what my younger grand kids are saying and a lot of females.It is not fun so take care of your hearing once it is gone there is no recover.If it wasn't for the flutter and smell I wouldn't know if I passed gas or not.

Arisaka99
03-27-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm 18, and already have noticeable damage in my right ear. (I'm a lefty) From shooting without plugs or muffs. Usually it is just hunting or shooting .22's in open areas, but at the range or shooting anything bigger I usually use either plugs, muffs, or both. If I don't have to lend my muffs, I use both. My girlfriend gets pissed because when we're on the phone I'm constantly saying "huh? What?". I regret not wearing them now.

Jersey Joe
03-28-2014, 11:21 PM
When I'm instructing(shotgun), I use muffs so I can easily pull one side up and have a conversation. When shooting, molded ear plugs and if it's cold outside muffs on top. Indoor range, muffs and plugs.

Rick Hodges
04-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Both...always except when hunting big game.