PDA

View Full Version : H&R Handi boolit

Beekeeper
10-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Little bit of a repreive here so I can think about shooting.

I do not hunt so My question is about a target boolit for a 223 handi.
I have the Lyman 225646 and the BRP 47 grain molds.
Was wanting to know if there is a heavier boolit that would be better for target shooting?
Have fair luck with what I have but always looking to improve.

Have good powder library so any ideas accepted/

beekeeper

Mk42gunner
10-20-2013, 01:37 PM
No experience with a Handi in .223, but I will point you to the articles on castpics. There is a lot of information there that may help.

Robert

Beekeeper
10-22-2013, 09:29 AM
All well and good 43 gunner except I have read all the data in cast pics several times and have spent many hours expermenting with various boolits and powders.
I still have not gotten the results I was hoping for and sought a little expert advice here as everyone says " this is the place"
Aparently not but like always I will continue to muddle along.
So much for the wonderful expert help from cast boolits .
But not being one of the in group it is about what I expected . That should get me at least 4 or 5 hate e-mails or PM's like the last post I did

beekeeper

jmort
10-22-2013, 09:39 AM
What is your twist? I have a .223 Handi Rifle, and the twist is 1/9. Some are 1/12, and if so you can't get much past 60 grains realistically. It is the length, not the weight. Ideal weight is around 55 grains in a 1/12 barrel. I would try around 9 grains of unique, that should work with both of your boolits. 12 to 17 grains of 4759 would be worth trying as well.

And Heavy Metal has a 62 grain which would be great in a 1/9. I'm hoping to get one.

45-70 Chevroner
10-22-2013, 12:10 PM
I know what you are talking about. I made the mistake of expressing my opinion a couple of times and it's like you get blackballed or they just ignore you. I still like the board and still partisipate but don't ruffle any feathers. I have seen some outright word fights on here and it is from the in crowed. There are scientists, engineers, chemists and intellects on here and I can't compete with them in an argument or a discussion. I do know what works and what does not, but I have learned to just keep my mouth or words shut. I am very forgiving and love to read stuff from newbies and am willing to help. I have been a caster for over 40 years and I have learned a lot. It is not rocket science. Good luck. In answer to your question, check you twist. I have two contenders a 21" barrel and a 14" they both have a 1" in 12" twist and they won't stabilize any thing over about 55 grain.

Little Doc
10-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Beekeeper----
I have pulled all my hair out over a handi in .223.. tried several bullets and loads. so far what works best in my rifle is a noe 22560. it is a clone of the saeco 60gr. cast of lino or water dropped ww. Sized .225, 7.5gr greed dot. will shoot moa at 100yds and can bust clay birds at 200 with ease. Chrony says 10 average 2030fps
1-9 twist. Hope this is of some help. Good luck.
m

Beekeeper
10-22-2013, 02:00 PM
jmortimer,
Tried to contact HM2 via e-mail and was informed to call a phone number.
First call it rang for about 3 minutes with no answer.
Second call was told number disconnected and was no new number.
Stopped trying after that

Little Doc,
Have the Lyman 225646 which is almost the same as the NOE.
Have not tried it with green dot tho so will give it a try.

rhead
10-24-2013, 07:28 AM
I have had good results with the Lee 55 grain boolit in mu hornet with a 1 in 12 twist. I have not tried it in my 223.

goofyoldfart
10-25-2013, 02:24 AM
Beekeeper: If you want some really good help with the H&R 223, try going to www.GBO.gunloads.com and check with the H&R centerfire thread. These guys are some serious H&R loonies. I know as I am one over there, too. God Bless to all and yours. :)

Goofyoldfart

dagger dog
10-25-2013, 12:00 PM
I cast the Lyman 225-415 GC FN, and have shot a few in my Savage Hornet 1 in 14 twist using 8 grs Unique, they show promise but I have to many irons in the fire and haven't really went any farther than to bounce soda cans @ 25-50 yds.

The mold drops 0.223" with wheel weights , there are 2 versions of that same number the older one drops in the 47 gr range and the newer mold like mine drops at 53-54 by the time you install the checks and lube they hit right at 55 grs. The bullet is short and should work well in a 1 in 9, especially if you can throw in some lino to get them 0.224-,225" and drive them faster.

I've shot 223 Rem 1 in 9 twist with 40 gr VMAX jwords out to 200 yrds with moa accuracy, so like jmortimer says its the length not weight.

I know cast boolits can be a whole different world especially in rifles, this is just my 2 C.