PDA

View Full Version : gas check maker???

mac266
10-20-2013, 12:51 AM
I read another thread where some folks recommended to another guy he invest in a gas check maker. I've been casting for a decade and have never heard of this. Can someone post a link or at least a little knowledge on them? What material do you use to make the checks? I currently buy Hornady copper gas checks, but copper is somewhat hard to come by.

gunrunner88
10-20-2013, 01:11 AM
mac here's the link,it's called Freechex II http://www.freechex.net/
I have used this with .012" aluminum from Home Depot/Lowes and cooper sheets that are available online. I picked up an arbor press to use with this at Harbor Freight for $20.00 with coupon and it's great. Videos are on youtube.

Dale in Louisiana
10-20-2013, 02:03 PM
I read another thread where some folks recommended to another guy he invest in a gas check maker. I've been casting for a decade and have never heard of this. Can someone post a link or at least a little knowledge on them? What material do you use to make the checks? I currently buy Hornady copper gas checks, but copper is somewhat hard to come by.
I'll second the FreeChex. I have FreeChex III's in a couple of calibers. Between a Harbor Freight arbor press, a FreeChex III and a roll of Yonky's aluminum, I can crank out my own checks at a rate of fifteen a minute if I feel energetic.

Charlie, the owner/production/shipping/R&D for FreeChex is a great guy to deal with, as is Yonky.

$110 for the FreeChex III is a bit of a step in raw numbers, but when you have one, you're no longer at the mercy of the lack of availability of your favorite caliber's checks from Lyman or Hornady.

dale in Louisiana

milprileb
10-20-2013, 05:13 PM
There is a forum here on Gas Checks. Worth looking at.
You will see two makers referenced. Pick the one whose tool
has features you think best.

I have the same tool and experience as Dale concerning Free Chex III and Yonky strips as well as using Arbor press with the tool / die. I also have highest regard for Charlie , his ethics, his tools and his service.

After a 18 month use period, my tool is paid for about twice over, I have great gas checks and never run out. Just one thing I don't have the crazy reloading component market denying me.