PDA

View Full Version : Old Time Lube

ASM826
10-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Old Lyman and Javelina stick lube, found in a box of lube sticks. Thought some of you would like to see a picture. I don't know if I should use it because it's good lube and it would be right to finally see it on boolits or if there is a collector that would want it enough that I should pass it along.

williamwaco
10-19-2013, 11:01 PM
I remember the Bear Grease but I never used it.

I used about a box car load of the other two.
I eventually settled on the Javelina.

If I had them, I don't think I would use them just for the nostalgia sake, BUT I wouldn't actually buy them either.

Don't know about the Bear Grease but I have some bullets lubed with the Bees Wax/ Alox in 1972. They shoot just fine today. I am sure it would work fine if you decide to use it.

runfiverun
10-20-2013, 12:25 PM
I used the last of my old javalina lube to make an excellent lube by mixing it 2 sticks to 1 with carnuba red and then adding about 15% white lith grease, and 3% lanolin.
I could live with that mixture forever.. [except for the warming shot being out of the group in the cold]

gwpercle
10-21-2013, 05:20 PM
I still use the old school black Lyman stuff for handgun boolits. Got some in boxes just like yours. Its good for lower velocities...use it. The Javalina should still be good also.
Gary

ASM826
10-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks, guys. It gets used this fall.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-22-2013, 09:33 PM
I used a lot of that Lyman Ideal lube when I started out because that was the most popular stuff around. Then some advances were made and the lube to go with became the old NRA formula stuff made with Alox 2138 and beeswax (50/50) now no longer made. I bought enough of that stuff in bulk to last a number of lifetimes and am still using it. it works fine although it is not a good idea to use it in hot temperatures/sun Many other good lubes have been since developed and shooters have a lot more latitude to work with. LLS

Horace
10-22-2013, 11:18 PM
On the site joesalter.com there`s one empty yellow and black"Ideal Lubricant" box going for $50.00.

Horace

ASM826
10-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Fifty dollars for an empty box:!:

I would give one of these boxes to someone if they wanted it for a collection. I'm not afflicted with a collecting habit, I accumulate stuff to use it.