PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 round ball loads, do I have this down?

Pratt4570
10-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Ok I've been lurking for a while and have been reading through some old posts on here about loading for 45-70 with .457 round ball. I want to do some single and triple round ball loads for my 7.5" Magnum reaserch BFR revolver. For the single loads I see it is best to use something like thermal receipt paper around the ball, a light crimp and 10-13 grains of unique in a fired, unsized case.

Now for some questions and concerns:
-do I need more of a charge in the revolver?
-can I use trailboss, 2400, red dot or any other fast pistol powders, I haven't done a lot with load development.
- what about moly coating the round all, or would this be a waste of time and money.
-what kind of load should I use for the triple ball?
-what do I do to improve grouping/accuracy as I read many had poor results with the triple ball.
-what about using new cases I have over 300 or would it be better to use my fired brass.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

starmac
10-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Somebody that has done it will chime in, but I don't forsee good groups with the triple ball loads.

Pratt4570
10-20-2013, 07:20 AM
if someone found a way to pull 6-8" groups at 25 I would be more than happy.

btroj
10-20-2013, 09:40 AM
My Marlin give groups in the 8 inch range at 25 yards. I think I used 10 gr or so of Unique.

While fun to play with it wasn't something I did more than a few times, no real purpose.

Pratt4570
10-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Any advice on using faster powders/pistol powders in this?

rintinglen
10-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Unique is as fast as I've tried in RB 45-70 loads. I loaded up a hundred of these single ball loads a few years back, varying the charge from 10 grains up to 15 grains of Unique. From my Marlin Cowboy, I got 50 yard groups in the 8-12+ inch range, with no discernible pattern. Four or five shots might group closely, but there would be the inevitable flier(s) that would triple or Quadruple the group size. I saw nothing worth pursuing in the rifle.

In handguns, I have done a lot of experimenting with light-for-caliber wadcutters, 2-3 75 grainers in a 357 or 3 110 grainers in the 44 mag. I have used Reddot, Bullseye, WW-231 and Unique. Charges will be low. I used 3 grains of Reddot or Bullseye in the 357, along with 3.4 grains of 231. In the 44 mag, 6.5 grains of 231 was too hot, 6.3 grains of Unique was better. I did not chronograph any of these loads, fearing that either I'd get erratic readings, or a dead chrony. For your purposes, I might try 8 grains of Reddot to start and work up, assuming multiball loadings. One thing to watch for when stuffing multiple projectiles in the case is that the bottom boolit doesn't bulge the case wall. I usually have to size the first boolit in 1-2 thousandths smaller than the top boolits.

Pratt4570
10-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Is that the only pressure sign to look for? And can I used pistol powders for regular bullets? I don't see a problem with it if weight is close as long ad I reduce it to start.