PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

medic44
11-05-2007, 02:30 PM
My son came to me yesterday and said "My muzzle loader won't work." It turns out that he shot it this summer and did not clean it. I've got the action working but there is rust in the barrel. Any ideas:(:(

shooter575
11-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Dig out the elbow grease...New bore brush,good fitting jag with lots of patches and all of the cleaners you have for a start
Having the kid doing the pushing and pulling would be a lesson he would not ever forget.
I have seen some crappy looking bores still shoot pretty good though.Just dont tell him that.

mooman76
11-05-2007, 03:23 PM
What shooter said. In the long run it's going to take allot of elbow grease. Use a good rust penitrater and allot of scrubbing. You might want to use a good gun type lapping compound when you are done to smooth the bore out. Hopefully it will still shoot but chalk it up to lesson learnt!
I had a ML some time ago that a friend wanted to buy. It wasn't a great gun but I made it, it was my first one I made and it did shoot real well. I avoided selling it to him because he was the kind of guy that grew up spoiled and doesn't take care of anything. Needless to say he kept after me until I gave in and sure as anything he did what I thought he would. Shot it and through it in the back of his truck and left it there for months and this was in Alaska that has a very damp climate. Another friend bought it and brought to me asking how to fix it. I didn't want to mess with it seeing the condition it was in. I told him to scrap it. I'll not do that again!

medic44
11-06-2007, 06:40 AM
6 hrs and lots of elbow grease. Bore looks almost new. We got lucky!

RugerFan
11-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Order LBT lapping compound and make sure ask for the muzzleloader instructions (because they aren't normally included). I can tell you from personal experience that it works.

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/