PDA

View Full Version : Vintage RCBS Presses - What's the difference between the JR2 & JR3?

bedbugbilly
10-19-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm hoping someone here can fill me in on the basic differences between the RCBS JR2 and the JR3 reloading presses. Is the JR3 and "improved" version of the JR2 - and if so, how or what is different?

In getting in to this "reloading" - I did it due to the cost of ammo - little did I know it was this "addictive" and was going to turn into a "hobby" :-) LOL - I started looking for a heavier vintage cast iron press for depriving/sizing, lubing, etc. Well, I guess you could say that I've "turned green".

I found a RCBS JR2 that is like new - what a neat little press! I don't think this thing will ever wear out. From the paperwork that was with it, it was new in 1963. I'm only 11 years older than the press but it looks a lot better than I do in regards to age!

In the process of locating a single stage - I heard of another RCBS - it's a JR3. I haven't picked it up yet but it's now mine and it also is supposed to be like new shape. Darn, these older single stage presses might be addicting too?

I'm just wondering what the differences are between the JR2 and the JR3? Ram travel or size? I haven't seen the JR3 yet but know the guy that has it - I bought it sight unseen as I know the guy and I don't think there is any way I could go wrong on buying it. Since I don't have it yet, I can't lay the JR2 and JR3 side by side to see what's different.

Is there anybody out there that can fill me in on them? I'll be primarily loading pistol cartridges so I'm assuming both will work O.K. for that. I'm not planning on doing rifle but who knows what is down the road as time goes by.

Thanks for any help and information.

Pressman
10-19-2013, 03:01 PM
The difference is the handle. JR2's had a tendency to break the handle at the thread shoulder. They have a 1/2 inch thread shank. That wa increased to 9/16 and the press renamed JR3. A good many broken JR2's were returned to RCBS for repair and all will have the 9/16 thread shank.
FYI the RS is a JR3 with a new name to reflect the marketing of the press, Reloader Special.
Ken

bedbugbilly
10-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks Pressman - greatly appreciate the information. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that there was a difference in the handles in some manner. I took a look at the JR2 I have and it appears to have the larger handle so quite possibly it was sent back for repair? I'm tickled pink with it - I can surely see why folks like 'em as it is a sturdy little press. The handle/arbor move like silk and I have a feeling I'm going to like 'em just fine. My plan is to leave one here to use and probably take the JR3 out to AZ and leave it at the house out there. I have some 38 spl empties out there from shooting that need to be stuffed and re-used again so I'll at least keep busy when we go out. Many thanks again - your help is appreciated!

seagiant
10-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Hi,
I bought a used and neglected Jr2 and sent the cam block back to RCBS and they sent me a new upgraded handle and block back! Gratis of course!

dsh1106
01-26-2016, 08:52 PM
Bring this back form the dead ....

I have the JR press, how is this different than the JR 2?

Pressman
01-31-2016, 06:39 AM
Scott, there was no JR, all were JR2 or 3. The 2 designation comes from RCBS's second attempt to make a junior size press. The first attempt was the Model B.

Would always love to see pictures :)

Ken

rbuck351
01-31-2016, 07:13 AM
So when did the RS start? I bought mine in 1968 IIRC. It came with the press and a set of dies in 38spl for 29.95. I can't remember if it had a shell holder or not. I had no idea of the few extra things you might need to actually make some ammo. Now 48 years later I look at many thousands of dollars of loading stuff and casting stuff and think about how much money I've saved.

LUBEDUDE
01-31-2016, 10:47 AM
Ken, is it true that only 500 Model B's were made?

dsh1106
01-31-2016, 01:37 PM
Scott, there was no JR, all were JR2 or 3. The 2 designation comes from RCBS's second attempt to make a junior size press. The first attempt was the Model B.

Would always love to see pictures :)

Ken

My bad ... I went and cleaned it up and there was a "2" on there....

Scott

seagiant
01-31-2016, 01:45 PM
My bad ... I went and cleaned it up and there was a "2" on there....

Scott

Hi,
You might want to call the nice lady at RCBS and see if they will do the (JR3) "upgrade" for you!

Pressman
01-31-2016, 05:49 PM
Dude, that is the story. Buzz Huntington also said the same. Sounds about right, that was one production run of frames. They then found the hand fitting and assembly was equally as costly as assembling an A and the project was halted. From what I can find of their advertising it took nearly three years to sell all 500 presses.

Anyone who has ever taken one apart can quickly see that it is sort of a poor design for the ram.

Ken

LUBEDUDE
02-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Thanks Ken!