PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong???

Milton
10-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Well I am still learning and practicing! I took some commercial cast bullets,scraped the blue crayon lube out of the bullet groove in order to pan lube the bullets.I melted 1 lb of paraffin ,1 lb of vaseline and 2 tbsp of STP together and tried to pan lube the bullets.When I pushed the bullets out of the set lube ,lube pulled out of the groove about 1/3 of the time.What am I doing wrong?

Beagle333
10-19-2013, 12:50 PM
If it's a wide lube groove, sometimes I gotta use a cake cutter or it will do that on quite a few of them. A boolit with 2 or 3 narrow grooves works better, but I do get almost 100% of my wide ones to keep the lube if they are "cut" out.

Milton
10-19-2013, 02:10 PM
The bullet does have a single wide groove,thank you for your help!

ElDorado
10-19-2013, 02:33 PM
I don't pan lube very often, but read Goatlips page on pan lubing. He heats the lube and the bullets in the oven so they both reach the same temperature, thereby creating better adhesion. It sounds plausible, but it's not something I would try at my house. Our couch isn't long enough to sleep on.

http://goatlips.hrillc.com/goatlipstips.cas-town.com/

tomme boy
10-19-2013, 04:06 PM
What STP are you using? There are a bunch of videos on UTUBE that show using the gas treatment. DO NOT use the gas treatment. Use the OIL treatment.

Milton
10-20-2013, 06:18 AM
I used STP oil treatment! Who in thier right mind would use gas treatment in a lube???
I heated the bullets with a hair dryer before applying the lube hoping that would give better adhesion.
I will try the cake cutter and hope that works!
Thanks all!!!

runfiverun
10-20-2013, 12:20 PM
there is a temp window that allows easy removal and clean cutting at the same time.
my guess is it's gonna be around 90-95*.

Milton
10-20-2013, 12:54 PM
90 to 95,well that lets out leaving it in the fridge!! Trouble is ,how do I get the lube/bullet mix to that temp range?I guess I need a good thermometer to check melt and solidification temps and see how that works!
Thank you!

runfiverun
10-20-2013, 09:48 PM
it's a trial and error type thing.
you develop a feel for it after a bit.
the melt temp of Vaseline is right about 95-100f btw.