PDA

View Full Version : New press...Pacific Super Deluxe

Dr.S
10-19-2013, 03:07 AM

25 bucks! That powder puff blue has to go,maybe I'll zebra stripe it.
there wouldnt be another like it.

Char-Gar
10-19-2013, 07:01 AM
I am a fan of old pacific presses. They can be bought for a very good price and will last several lifetimes. You done good!

Mk42gunner
10-19-2013, 10:10 AM
I really like mine. I never realized just how much access a person gives up with an O frame press until I started using that same press.

Robert

Bent Ramrod
10-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Light or powder blue is the original color for the Pacific Supers. It was the color of my Super, the first press I ever got. If I recall, the price used at a gun show was $25 also. The bolsters on the sides strengthened the frame so it could be used for case forming and even for bullet swaging, after a fashion. The next weak point for swaging became the linkage, which was best replaced with tool steel pins and lever.

I never swaged enough bullets to damage my Super but the linkage had limited mechanical advantage so I eventually replaced it with a RCBS Rockchucker, with the more powerful compound linkage. The Pacific Supers are good presses, though, and the design is very aesthetic. I remember the ads that showed how one could make a long necked .250 Savage case in a Pacific Super by squishing a .30-06 case into a .250 die without the depriming setup.

Dr.S
10-19-2013, 05:16 PM
I think I'll paint it forest green with gold on the raised letters for the Industrial look.Or black with gold letters.What do you guys think for color schemes.And no I'm not keeping it original.

seagiant
10-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Hi,
I guess I'm old fashioned! Yep! That's it! Excellent press and what the new guys should be buying! IMO!

LUBEDUDE
10-20-2013, 03:55 AM
I'm with SG 100%!

Why do so many new guys buy whimpy stuff, when Plenty of All American Beef can had for far less!

Plus it just Screams Cool!

Dr.S
10-20-2013, 08:15 AM

People without at least one vintage press should be savagely beaten.

Pressman
10-20-2013, 10:40 AM
JohnF do you have a date on that ad? Early 1950's Pacific ads and literature are hard to find. Which leads me to speculate that poor marketing after WWII led to the demise of Pacific by 1959 which led them to be sold to Deitmeyer.

Ken

roysha
10-20-2013, 12:20 PM
People without at least one vintage press should be savagely beaten.[/QUOTE]

Whew! I guess I'm doubly safe since my "vintage" press is a Savage Straight 8 press.:smile:

codgerville@zianet.com
10-20-2013, 12:44 PM
WHEW!! Guess I'm safe too, I have a Pacific Power C that I bought new, don't use it much though.

Char-Gar
10-20-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm with SG 100%!

Why do so many new guys buy whimpy stuff, when Plenty of All American Beef can had for far less!

Plus it just Screams Cool!

It am amazement to me, why folks continue to buy light weight breakable reloading presses when there is so many unbreakable equipment out there made years ago. I have two 1930s Pacific and one 1950s Pacific press on my bench that have been purchased in the last four years. The most I paid for one was $30.00 and they function as good as new.

I don't know where the notion came from that if the press didn't come out of the box red or blue and load 1000 rounds at a setting it isn't worth having.

Dr.S
10-20-2013, 03:01 PM
The ad is from June 1956

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
10-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I love my old presses. Thought about selling one not to long ago. I proceeded to slap myself in the face and that snapped me out of it.

Bent Ramrod
10-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Pressman,

All the older issues of Guns are on the Net. The ads are as interesting as the articles now.

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/classic-guns-magazine-editions/

Pressman
10-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks Bent Ramrod. I have down loaded all of them. It is a lot of reading to catch up on, paying close attention to the ads. I did find ads from GT Smiley that I did not know existed. But there are so many more issues to go through.
Ken

Dr.S
10-22-2013, 04:09 AM

The Super Deluxe arrived at 2pm,it was repainted by 215pm.

Dr.S
10-22-2013, 04:13 AM
I downloaded a 100 guns magazine "megapack" from one of the torrent sites.You could spend days looking at ads.You can download a free pdf to jpg converter to copy the ads easy.I still have some touching up to do on the press.

Char-Gar
10-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Your press is looking good and I am glad you have such an appreciation for old American iron.

While looking at your refurbished press, I am reminded of a generation of shooters who took old cheap military rifles and sanded, refinished, chopped and otherwise spruced them up. The collectors of today still curse us under their breath.

LUBEDUDE
10-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Your press looks great John!

seagiant
10-23-2013, 02:09 AM
Hi,
Me Gusta! Very nice! Almost like black leather and some things look good in that!

1hole
10-23-2013, 10:40 AM
The old iron C presss were far more rigid than is now presumed and newer O presses are much less rigid than is now presumed. And cast alum alloy presses are MORE rigid than iron but obviously not as massively strong overall. Anyone with a dial indicator and a magnetic mount can prove it to themselves.

Compound toggle links provide such an increase in leverage that I won't use the old simple toggle presses for rifle resizing anymore.

Char-Gar
10-23-2013, 10:58 AM
The old iron C presss were far more rigid than is now presumed and newer O presses are much less rigid than is now presumed. And cast alum alloy presses are MORE rigid than iron but obviously not as massively strong overall. Anyone with a dial indicator and a magnetic mount can prove it to themselves.

Compound toggle links provide such an increase in leverage that I won't use the old simple toggle presses for rifle resizing anymore.

I started reloading in 1958 with a Pacific Super C press. It had the simple leverage with upstroke design. Everybody I knew used this press. There was no problem full length sizing cases up to 375 Holland and Holland with this press, although it did take some muscle. When the down stroke came along I was happy because you could lean on the press handle and use your body weight to do the job rather than arm muscle.

A downstroke compound press was heaven on earth to use. It didn't do a better job, but it did make the job easier.

I have a number of old upstroke Pacific C presses on my bench and they get used for neck sizing rifle brass, seating bullets and loading handgun ammo. When I have a rifle case to full length resize, I go to the old RCBS A2 for that job.

A fellow with an old iron C press can use it for everything, but if he wants to size a couple of hundred 30-06 cases he will get his workout for the day.

Dr.S
10-24-2013, 01:57 AM
I havent used the Super C yet because I'm waiting on empties.But my lyman Spartan does a number on the palm of my hand.I think I'm going to turn a ball on my wood lathe to put on the handle.Last week I went on a reloading binge of 800 rds,almost enough to get blisters.