PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone vacuum sealed cartridges??

BNE
10-18-2013, 11:46 PM
I'm not sure which forum to put this in, so please move this if its in the wrong one.

I have a friend that send me a picture of some 9mm cartridges in a vacuum sealed bag. The idea is for long term storage. It looks pretty cool. Have any of you ever done this and did you have any issues with the ammo afterwards?

Kskybroom
10-19-2013, 12:12 AM
I do buy not for storage. Most over the time I hunt with a TC.
Ill Vacuum Pack 4 rounds and a Bic Lighter to carry in my zippered jacket pocket.
For the cal of the day....... Dont know why (OCD) ........

Rangefinder
10-19-2013, 12:26 AM
My vacuum sealer is used for a LOT of things besides food--ammo included. Never had a problem, makes anything put inside hurricane proof.

Scharfschuetze
10-19-2013, 12:32 AM
I'm not sure what the advantage would be. It certainly couldn't hurt I guess.

Here's my take after four decades of shooting ammo in the military that was often stored for years.

Most ammo that I was issued in the Army was in watertight M2A ammo cans that were incapable of holding a vacuum. Over the last decade or so, much of the 5.56mm Green Tip ammo issued CONUS (Stateside) came in shrink wrap that was waterproof, but neither the cans or the shrink wrap were vacuum sealed. Most of the foreign surplus ammo (German, Russian, Romanian, etc.) that I've bought was often in a sealed metal (think sardine can) container or in heavy vinyl "combat packs", but I don't think they were anything more than water and air tight.

I'm sure that if there was an advantage or some value to vacuum sealing, the military, which often stores ammo for many decades, would be all over it.

realllynow
10-19-2013, 12:44 AM
sound like a good idea. anyone played with the fiocchi sealed cans? there supposed to be good to go for years

TXGunNut
10-19-2013, 11:13 AM
My goal is to keep moisture out, air won't hurt anything. I can see the value of sealing out moisture using one of these machines but don't see the point of pulling a vacuum first. Couldn't hurt, I guess.

Uncle Jimbo
10-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Never vacuumed loaded ammo, but I do vacuum pack powder that I know I will not be using for a long time. I have also vacuum packed primers if I know I will not be loading for a while.

BNE
10-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the input folks.

BubbaJon
10-19-2013, 10:24 PM
It works great. Makes a nice hard flat package that's easy to stack, can be buried with no worries about corrosion, and doesn't clink or rattle. Small enough to stash in odd places.

bedbugbilly
10-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Just my 2 cents worth which really isn't worth that . . . :-)

I would think this would also work well with cast boolets!? I've just started reloading but I did cast up about a 1,000 boolets for the 38 spl. I kind of like the ida of vacuum packing 'em after they're lubed and ready to be loaded - say in packs of 100. I've shot BP for years and I used to cast round balls up and then store them in plastic freezer containers - I'd spray 'em down with WD40 or similar to try and keep 'em good. I'd cast up a lot in different calibers - and some didn't get used for a long time. I would think that vacuum packing those would keep them nice and shiny until you were ready to use them?

TXGunNut
10-20-2013, 11:40 PM
If you're looking to avoid oxidation a vacuum environment may just accomplish that. And as pointed out above a vacuum bag may stack better than an airtight bag.