PDA

View Full Version : Left my pot plugged in too long ?

capt.hollis
10-18-2013, 09:40 PM
I was pre melting my lead so I turned the pot on and ran to the store real quik for some cervezas. Well I forgot I had it on 4 hrs later, when I got back the pot had a thick layer of yellow powdery looking stuff on top. Did I cook all the goodies out of the lead? It was about 1" thick of this powder.

Ole
10-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Most of the good stuff should go back into the melt if you take a dry wooden stick and stir the heck out of it

If you really have 1" of dry powder on top of your melt I don't think that's SN or SB oxides.

Reloader06
10-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Yellow stuff sounds like Lead Oxide. Dangerous stuff if it is. Smarter guys will be along shortly to say for sure. A lesson on not leaving the pot alone when energized. Gremlins love easy opportunities. Please be careful, you don't want to come home to the Fire Dept.

Matt

btroj
10-18-2013, 09:56 PM
You knowingly left a pot on with nobody home to keep an eye on it?

Ask Lloyd about fires from a lead pot left on.

capt.hollis
10-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Yes knowingly I left to leave for 5 minutes, had a buddy of mine that needed a tow back to his garage, during that time I didn't even think about the lead! Won't be doing this again.

runfiverun
10-18-2013, 11:59 PM
it's lead oxide

dbosman
10-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Litharge Lead oxide, specifically a lead mono-oxide. The Nitrogen in the air causes the yellow color.
That much should be considered hazardous waste. Please be careful of it and with it.
I'd try to mix it back in to fresh pots of lead, one spoon at a time. Trying to stir an inch back into a couple of inches of lead is going to create air born particles.

capt.hollis
10-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Litharge Lead oxide, specifically a lead mono-oxide. The Nitrogen in the air causes the yellow color.
That much should be considered hazardous waste. Please be careful of it and with it.
I'd try to mix it back in to fresh pots of lead, one spoon at a time. Trying to stir an inch back into a couple of inches of lead is going to create air born particles.will take caution, and Thank You.