PDA

View Full Version : sp 101 issue

roberts1
10-18-2013, 08:34 PM
I was at the range today shooting some 158gr swc over 4.6gr of titegroup through my sp 101 4.2" barrel. After about 25 rounds down range I tried to pull back the hammer to fire it single action and it was very difficult to pull so i decided to open it up and it was extremely difficult to swing the cylinder out. I had just loaded it and fired one round. I emptied it without difficulty and realoaded it, it shut fine and cocked fine. I fired it once (single action again) and then upon trying to cock it again the same result. Thinking it had something to do with my loads i put it up and shot something else. When I got home i measured the remaining rounds and they are fine. the empty cases are fine. The gun is clean and relatively new maybe 400 or less rounds through it 38 and 357 at different times. Time to contact ruger or is there something I've overlooked?

paul h
10-18-2013, 08:54 PM
It's possible you got a shaving of lead or some unburned powder in a spot that is binding up the gun. I'd do a detail strip and cleaning of the gun, apply a good gun lube sparingly and re-assemble. If it's still bound up, have a good gunsmith or Ruger look at it. I'm banking on a good detail strip, clean and lube will have you back in action.

contender1
10-18-2013, 09:23 PM
It's also possible the ejector rod may have come unscrewed a little. Hold the ejector star, and try & turn the rod. If it does,,, it's loose.

theperfessor
10-19-2013, 12:40 AM
I found that sometimes happens when I get burned powder under the ejector sitar. I learned to point the muzzle up and let the powder and crud fall straight down. Hold it sideways and crud happens.

Piedmont
10-19-2013, 12:42 AM
I found that sometimes happens when I get burned powder under the ejector sitar. I learned to point the muzzle up and let the powder and crud fall straight down. Hold it sideways and crud happens.

+1. I think this is what happened.

To the guy who commented on the ejector rod coming unscrewed. I don't think the SP-101 and GP 100 have an ejector rod that screws in like that. The Security & Speed Sixes do and all of the S&Ws.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-19-2013, 08:52 AM
+ 2 with crud under the ejector star

TCFAN
10-19-2013, 09:15 AM
What the others have said. Also you might check your loads and make sure they do not have any rounds with a high primer.That has happened to me with my SP101.Make the cylinder hard to turn.......Terry

dilly
10-19-2013, 09:25 AM
In addition to checkng for high primers, make sure your rounds aren't jumping crimp.that will lock you up too. I would do just a bit more troubleshooting before sending it in, perhaps buying a box of factory and testing that. However Ruger will take good care of you if there is a problem.

Petrol & Powder
10-19-2013, 10:29 AM
+3 (or more) on the dirt/crud under the ejector. It doesn't take much to hold the ejector a little "proud" of the rear face of the cylinder and that effectively makes the cylinder longer. That condition will make the cylinder drag and difficult to open/close.

roberts1
10-20-2013, 01:09 AM
thanks guys ill break it down tomorrow and give it a look and another cleaning . I looked for high primers and double checked the oal on all the remaining rounds thinking that could be the case and even rechambered a few to see if there was clearance which there was. It felt like the brass was jammed against the frame on the fired round. Just dont know how that could happen.

btroj
10-20-2013, 09:44 AM
A high primer will do that, I learned the hard way. If cases aren't slipping fully into the chambers it will also happen.

What load and bullet? I can get this regularly with the Mihec 359640 in mag brass in my GP100. The taper at he front of the chamber hits the bullet ogive and cases aren't fully in the chamber. Case head drags and makes cocking difficult.

roberts1
10-20-2013, 06:48 PM
I took the gun apart to clean it. It wasnt too dirty and everything looked good. Cleaned and reassembled it and decided to look over the rounds i had taken out of it again when i noticed a small nick on one primer. I think i found the smoking gun here (yes pun intended) anyway, ill have to go back to the range to see if ive got it figured out. Thanks for the suggestions and input

williamwaco
10-20-2013, 07:04 PM
I had that exact symptom Saturday with a brand sp101 loaded with 3.5 gr Bullseye in .38 special cases.

After three cylinders, the cylinder didn't want to close. When it was closed, it didn't want to turn.

The problem was solved by a careful wiping out of the frame around the cylinder and and the outside of the cylinder especially the underside if the ejector.

I did not find where the crud was, but the wipe down solved the problem. This was done with a dry shop rag. no solvent.

Newtire
10-26-2013, 04:24 PM
I've had no problems with Ruger customer service at all but you might not want to mention anything about shooting handloads. I think it voids your warranty.