PDA

View Full Version : looking for a odd load !

wyattjames
10-18-2013, 08:20 PM
I am wondering if anyone has a load for 12 ga 00 buck not using a plastic wads or gas seal? a olod nitro card load I just got the 1st edition lyman shotgun book and it doesnt list any so any help would be great thanks

Uncle Jimbo
10-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Pacific's Shotshell Handloading Manual. Third Edition

2 3/4", CCI 109 Primer or Win. 209, 12 #00, 34 grs. Herco, H + 1/4 Wad column, Roll Crimp. 1320 velocity.

(H=.135 Nitro card)
(1/4= 1/4" Fibre Filler Wad)

This came from the manual. Use at your own risk.

wyattjames
10-18-2013, 09:18 PM
thanks for the info greatly appreciated ,

WRideout
11-06-2013, 07:58 AM
I had the same question. I acquired some .31 round balls, which I would like to load in a 12 ga just to see what they will do. I did load one ctg with them using 1 1/8 oz load data from the Alliant manual. The problem is that they don't crimp well; buck takes up more room than shot, and sticks out. I had a thought that I could make my own fiber and card wads, which would take up less room in the hull.

Anybody have a load that uses some combination of fiber wads, federal hull, and Red Dot, Unique, Blue Dot, or SR4756?
Wayne

longbow
11-06-2013, 09:20 PM
You could check out the BPI site. They have some loads listed that use the old style card/fiber/hard card wads.

I have tried slug loads using nitro card wads over the powder with no plastic gas seal and got lots of blow by. I was using the shotcups cut off gas seals that had been used under bore size slugs. I also have several "wad slugs" so decided to use up some shotcups on top of nitro card and hard card wad columns. The blow by melted the petals on many of the shotcups! These were not loads specifically for the card wad columns though so that may make a difference.

Longbow

JWFilips
11-06-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm interested in a similar style old loading for an old Double Barrel 12 gauge Fox Sterlingworth I inherited ....The Modified barrel shoots like a full choke and the full choke shoots like a rifle at 40 yards with 7 1/2 shot ( with modern plastic shell / plastic wad... shot shells) would love to use this on upland small game but it is just unusable with modern ammo.
I also have an old Stevens double 311 that I reamed the bores on to make it shoot plastic shells ( had the same problem with it) However I wouldn't want to do that to the old Fox girl! Is it possible they may have a load for upland game?

cpileri
11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
This might help:

C-

cpileri
11-07-2013, 11:38 AM
And here:
Just watch your weight (payload) of the buckshot and hope this works for you.
C-