PDA

View Full Version : winchester model 59 22 rimfire single shot

Russell James
11-05-2007, 04:10 AM
Fellas, whilst out hunting with the young RJ, we managed to lose a part off the above rifle!
Its been in our family since it was bought new so Im keen to fix it.
The part connects the trigger to the under side of the bolt and is held in place by a leaf spring.A fairly simple but great old rifle!
The barrell has the following on it " Made in USA Winchester repeating arms Co. New Haven Conn.Patented Aug 28 1898. Model 59 short, long and long rifle.
Fellas I"d be real thankfull if someone could help out with even a drawing that I could make it myself.
thanks Russell James

NVcurmudgeon
11-05-2007, 07:51 AM
RJ, that's a real calamity. Are you certain about the model number on the rifle? There was a Model 59 semi-auto shotgun, introduced around the year 1959. It had a barrel made of aluminum, covered in fibreglas, and was well-known for its "different" balance. It is possible that Winchester used the same model number twice. Winchester was using model numbers in that range in the late 1920s or early 1930s.

9.3X62AL
11-05-2007, 08:15 AM
RJ--

Any chance it could be a Model 67? That one has one-piece unitized action and barrel, and firing pin must be manually pulled back with a knob on end of bolt to fire. Another "near-miss" possibility might be a Model 69A or 75, a very similar example to the M-67 that has distinct action and barrel, and box magazine-fed--essentially an upgraded version of the M-67. I ask this because there is an exploded drawing of the M69A/75 on pp. 1020 of the Numrich Gun Parts Catalog #22, from which you might derive the part you need. Often a phone call to the firm can yield uncataloged parts as well.

www.gunpartscorp.com

woody1
11-05-2007, 10:00 AM
RJ, that's a real calamity. Are you certain about the model number on the rifle? There was a Model 59 semi-auto shotgun, introduced around the year 1959. It had a barrel made of aluminum, covered in fibreglas, and was well-known for its "different" balance. It is possible that Winchester used the same model number twice. Winchester was using model numbers in that range in the late 1920s or early 1930s.

The Winchester Model 59 Single Shot 22 was made 1930-31. Very few made but is similar to it's forbearers including the 1900/1902/1904 and 58. Mayhaps parts from one of them would work also? The other models are much more numerous. Regards, Woody

Bob Jones
11-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I've got one I inherited from my dad, I learned to shoot with it. Great old gun.

Can't sell you a part, but if you need a picture or dimensions to fab a replacement let me know.

Check out Numrich, they have unbelievable parts inventory.

Mk42gunner
11-05-2007, 05:45 PM
I believe these are made on one of Browning's patents that he sold Winchester in the 1890's. In addition to the models quoted by Woody, I think these evolved into the model 60, 67 and 68.

The Thumb Trigger was very similar also.

Robert

Russell James
11-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all youre help, although after exploring all options it looks like I will be making the part.An interesting model though, made in what appears to be small amounts in the middle of the Depression. Once again thanks.
Russell James.

Russell James
11-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Good news , out today hunting and I found the missing part from the 22!
Thanks for all the tips and advice.
regards Russell James.
{The little fella shore is happy now}

Dale53
11-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Russell;
Congratulations on a "good save"!!:drinks:

Dale53

Mk42gunner
11-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Outstanding!

I am glad you found the part. I bet the little fellow is even happier.

Robert

Russell James
08-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Fellas, whilst out hunting with the young RJ, we managed to lose a part off the above rifle!
Its been in our family since it was bought new so Im keen to fix it.
The part connects the trigger to the under side of the bolt and is held in place by a leaf spring.A fairly simple but great old rifle!
The barrell has the following on it " Made in USA Winchester repeating arms Co. New Haven Conn.Patented Aug 28 1898. Model 59 short, long and long rifle.
Fellas I"d be real thankfull if someone could help out with even a drawing that I could make it myself.
thanks Russell James

Recently had to repair the bolt on this same rifle with a new spring and fix the bolt handle and am having trouble getting it to fire properly. Whilst its a simple rifle does any one know where I can get a drawing/ diagram of the internals of the bolt. I have nearly run out of places to look.
Regards Russell James

Echo
08-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Russell, your finding the admittedly small part that had been lost in the wild reminded me of a time I lost a small pocket knife in the brush, in company. And I found it again, later, different company. There is more to the story, but it won't be given here...

Russell James
08-07-2008, 03:26 AM
Thanks , yes it was great to find the part but now this damn bolt has been a real bear to put together. dearly love to find the dimensions or drawing for it.
Regards RJ

corvette8n
08-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I once broke a leaf spring in an old pistol, I put the pieces on a copier and sent the copy to Gun Parts Corp West Hurley NY.
I told them I wanted two more and gave them my credit card #, about a week later I got them in the mail, cost about $7.00 including shipping.

Maybe you could do the same so you could have a spare.
They also carry schematics which they email to you.