PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow morning hunt!

Junior1942
10-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Headed out deer hunting in the morning with my 50 caliber Traditions Buckskinner and my Lyman 50 caliber Plains Pistol/Pirate Pistol as I've started calling it. Rifle load is Lee 320 gr REAL @ 1250 fps, and the pistol load is 177 gr Hornady PRB @ 1050 fps.

If a deer gets close enough, i.e., side-on shot @ ~25 yds, I'm using the pistol. If my brother shows up, we're going to big buck territory in the river bottom. If he stays home due to rain, I'm going right behind my house.

Bo1
10-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Good luck Junior...
I'm gonna try to go get em as well...

Bo

johnson1942
10-18-2013, 06:46 PM
good luck junior and have fun,johnson1942

OnHoPr
10-18-2013, 11:56 PM
I hope you get that 25 yd shot Jr, if you feel confident and not raining for a bit stretch to 30 yd if its got a deep chest. I hope it doesn't rain so you can go after the big horns. Good luck and keep yur powder and caps dry.:2gunsfiring_v1:

Sure would like to see the hole that the REAL makes.

winelover
10-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Good luck, Junior. I'm headed out with Lee 200 grain conicals in my ROA. I'll be sitting in tree-stands that are set up for bow hunting distances.

Winelover

Garyshome
10-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Good luck, Hope ya get one!

idahoron
10-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Go Getum! Ron

Junior1942
10-19-2013, 09:05 PM
We saw nothing but squirrels. I guess if we'd've been squirrel hunting we'd've seen nothing but deer :-( Headed back in the morning! You other guys give us a story! My daughter sent me this message a few minutes ago: "Killed a 4 point this am." That is all she said!!!

PS: I did make a discovery re the Plains/Pirate pistol. The belt hook hooked onto my pants pocket wants to pull down my pants. I carried a shooting bag on one of my saddle ring slings, so I hooked the belt hook on a strap. It worked great! That's how I will carry it from now on. The butt hangs perfect for a cross-over draw.

winelover
10-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Sat for 4 hours in the morning and saw two but not within pistol range. Going out this AM to try again.

Winelover

Junior1942
10-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Sat for 4 hours in the morning and saw two but not within pistol range. Going out this AM to try again.

Winelover

Keep us posted!

starmac
10-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Your daughter sounds like my neighbor. He texted his wife, and all it said was bull, that was it. We had to wait for nearly a week to find out what he he had got. lol

winelover
10-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Went out yesterday AM, didn't see anything. Around 9 AM, I got out the "rattlin horns" to see if I could get any reaction. Just as hung them in the tree and picked up the ROA and a buck appeared about 70 yards away. He was heading straight towards me but then veered off into some cedars, when he couldn't find his opponent. I lost sight of him, so I grunted once and he reappeared. I looked for a small opening ahead of where he was going and cocked the ROA.

As fate goes it, he didn't cooperate. Didn't go out in the PM. Had ribs on the smoker all day and as we sat down at the table the same buck showed up in the small food plot behind the house. Got a good look at him, he's a legal Arkansas buck (3 points one side), the other side is just a long single spike.

Still six days left for Muzzleloading, so I'll keep at it.

Winelover

Junior1942
10-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Yesterday morning in the river bottom my brother saw four does, and he missed one with his H&R 45-70. I saw three does ~125 yards away and walking left-to-right through the timber and bushes. No way could I get a shot. About noon I headed out to the gravel road and the truck. I stepped out of the woods and into the edge of the private road right-of-way just as a small doe darted across the road. No time at all for a shot. I stepped out in the road and another small doe darted across the road. I could have shot her easily, but the bullet would have gone down the road and a vehicle might have come out at the wrong moment. I lowered my rifle.

This morning here at the house I stood up from behind the clump of small trees I was hiding behind in order to stretch my legs. When I sat down again I saw a deer rump and flag high-tail it away from about 50 yards out. That was a sad moment....

Boz330
10-22-2013, 08:38 AM
We have a 2 day early ML season here in KY. My Godson and me hauled the camper to the farm we hunt on Saturday morning and hunted Saturday evening and Sunday. We saw a number of deer both bucks and does but way out of ML range. But we know where to set up now when regular rifle season comes in.
Sunday morning was just beautiful as the sun was rising. For me getting some meat is just icing on the cake, being out in nature is the real reward. It was especially good this weekend since I just had my left knee replaced 4 weeks ago yesterday. Fortunately this particular stand isn't too much of a hike. Had to take a minute and thank the good Lord for blessing me with the show and good friends to hunt on and with.

Bob

Wilkie
10-22-2013, 10:40 AM
We have a 2 day early ML season here in KY. My Godson and me hauled the camper to the farm we hunt on Saturday morning and hunted Saturday evening and Sunday. We saw a number of deer both bucks and does but way out of ML range. But we know where to set up now when regular rifle season comes in.
Sunday morning was just beautiful as the sun was rising. For me getting some meat is just icing on the cake, being out in nature is the real reward. It was especially good this weekend since I just had my left knee replaced 4 weeks ago yesterday. Fortunately this particular stand isn't too much of a hike. Had to take a minute and thank the good Lord for blessing me with the show and good friends to hunt on and with.

Bob

Well put!

bigted
10-22-2013, 12:45 PM
not sure if I go huntin so I can camp out or whether I go campin so I can go huntin. either way it is always good to get out and enjoy the smoke of a fire in the evenin and the sharp bite of cold in the am hunt. its all good when in the sticks with a fire stick and the company of another soul to silently witness the awesomeness of the surroundings.

good luck with the harvest and have fun with huntin. I miss deer huntin as up here in the interior there are no deer. just huge ol hairy moose n bear ... DANG !!! ... :groner:

Junior1942
10-22-2013, 02:23 PM
What bigted said! Only I'd have to add campfire cooking to my list.

What Boz330 said too!

Junior1942
10-22-2013, 05:30 PM
I forgot to tell y'all a story from opening morning. There's a pipeline some 300 to 400 yards from where I hunt. It's lined with leaning deer stands. Two of the opening morning hunters were using semi-auto muzzleloading rifles. One fired 3 fast shots, and the other one fired 5 fast shots. I figure he had an AR black rifle muzzleloader..... Yep, it POed me highly.

johnson1942
10-22-2013, 09:33 PM
junior, they really arent enjoying themselves, they are in another world, and they should meet the psycho game warden we have up here. he is frankly the most extreme law enforcement officer ive ever seen. he would think he died and went to heaven if he ever run into those guys up here. he even sat way off and watched our county sheriff to see if he could get anything on him, and our sheriff is as clean as they come. just stay away from them, they might be careless also. keep haveing fun.

horsesoldier
10-22-2013, 09:47 PM
sounds the wardens outside of yakima.....good luck and hope you fill your tags!

Wilkie
10-22-2013, 09:50 PM
I forgot to tell y'all a story from opening morning. There's a pipeline some 300 to 400 yards from where I hunt. It's lined with leaning deer stands. Two of the opening morning hunters were using semi-auto muzzleloading rifles. One fired 3 fast shots, and the other one fired 5 fast shots. I figure he had an AR black rifle muzzleloader..... Yep, it POed me highly.

Were those Flint-lock AR's or In-line? :bigsmyl2:

starmac
10-22-2013, 11:13 PM
I was never around one, but that must have been a wheel lock. lol

bigted
10-23-2013, 12:03 AM
gotta feel sorry for them fellers that have need for so many shots at the terrible and nasty snot blowin deer. I guess I just don't remember them to require such fire power but then I been away for 15 years so I guess maybe some of dem deer may have imulicified into a bigger and stronger aminul and require a much more steamy rifle to gain an added protection from.

[smilie=1: ... watch for em that they don't get outta their comfort zone and have a messy accident in the seat of their britches. gosh how terrible it must be. just hope that they can catch the easy goin muzzleloader approach to life. 1 shot = 1 huge grin which = another shot followed by another huge grin = ... :drinks:

winelover
10-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Went out yesterday AM, never saw the 3 X 1 buck I was hunting on my acreage. Did, however, bust a cap on this 4 X 3 with the ROA.

Load was 30 grains of Pyrodex "P" , wonder wad, Lee 220 gr conical (alox lubed) followed by a wonder seal. Ignited by a Remington #10 cap.

Shot was made around 15 yards and I saw him drop after another 20 yards.

Take notice the golf-ball sized fibrous growth on the right side of his neck,just below the ear. Has anyone ever run into this before. Hope he's safe to eat, since I'm about done with last season's venison.

Probably, should give Arkansas Fish & Game a call. Called Fish & Game and they said it was common and not to worry.

Winelover

Boz330
10-23-2013, 09:43 AM
We don't exactly rough it anymore but have the campfire, but cook in the camper.
I have spent my fair share of time in tents and out buildings when I worked as a guide in NM. And early on deer camp was a pop up camper with slit latrine for the necessities. My hunting buddy's daughter hunted with us for a couple seasons and that was when we upgraded to nicer facilities. She wasn't quite as enamored to the rustic side of hunting as us. She hasn't hunted with us in awhile but the facilities have soldiered on. I have to admit that as I've gotten older coming into an already warm camper is kind of nice. I have hunted out of a wall tent with a wood stove and can't say as I miss the wood cutting and uncomfortable toilet facilities when it is mid 20s outside.
Deer camp more than anything is about "Good Friends, Good Eats, and Good Beer", and the occasional deer harvested. The farm that we hunt on is pretty well stocked and in reality it isn't hard to fill the freezer. Taking a nice buck with the surrounding hunting pressure can be difficult though. We did have one particularly good season though.

Bob

OnHoPr
10-23-2013, 06:28 PM

Those weren't minute men, they were milli-secondmen.

A big CONGRATS winelover with the BP pistol and cast boolit on a decent buck. Looks like you'll have to fill up the red wine rack again.