PDA

View Full Version : Boolit warping

gsdelong
10-18-2013, 04:31 PM
I have a problem that is new to me, using a lightweight boolit for the 45/70. On the mold blocks the cavity is about 1/4 to 1/3 the depth of the blocks. This is not the collar button but a design with multiple lube grooves. When I open the mold it will not stay parallel due to the unequal friction and the bands are bending. I have tried letting it cool more but that does not seem to help. I am using #2 alloy. Is this a function of the width of the handle blade that fits in the block grooves? Any thoughts?

Wayne Smith
10-18-2013, 07:04 PM
I have an NEI Walt made Collar Button mold of about the same depth of cavity and have no problem with it. I'm not sure what you mean by your question: is this a function of the width of the handle blade that fits in the block grooves?

Are you asking if the mold handles are causing the mold to open non-parallel? You will have to tell us the mold maker and the handle maker to answer that.

leeggen
10-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Show some pics of the deformaty you are asking about. The bands are bending????? More imfo would help alot.
CD

geargnasher
10-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Rap the handle hinge once with a rawhide mallet before opening the mould, and lube the pins with ester oil. If all else fails, smoke the cavities with a butane lighter.

Gear

bhn22
10-18-2013, 10:01 PM
I really can't picture this particular issue either. Got any pics?

gsdelong
10-19-2013, 08:08 AM
I threw them all back in the pot. I have received a few ideas if they don't work I will take pics and post. Greg

fryboy
10-19-2013, 08:22 AM
i think i can picture what you're talking about ... the grooves are sticking to the casting , the pressure on the mold when trying to open it opens the bottom of the mold a bit first ( as the grooves stick ) my thoughts are make sure that there isnt a burr in one or several spots on the grooves causing a hangup and allow a lil more time to cool before opening , this will make sure that the grooves ( which are prolly the last spot to cool in the casting ) have a lil better chance at hardening up

a sharpened #2 pencil to shade the edges of the grooves may also help ( kind of lubes them so to speak )

mold maker
10-19-2013, 09:01 AM
The LEEmenting process will also help, by polishing the grooves of the mold. I'd suggest tooth paste as a polishing compound.

HARRYMPOPE
10-19-2013, 10:34 AM
When you open the mold push one side of the block towards the other.this causes them to open proper and they generally fall right out.

gsdelong
10-20-2013, 07:47 PM
I appreciate the input and when I get another chance too cast I will post details. Flyboy is right on with his understanding of the problem. Greg