PDA

View Full Version : Slugs sticking in Lee 12 gauge slug mold

hawaii five-0
10-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Some times the slug wont release from the center pin of my Lee 12 gauge slug mold( part that forms the rear of slug) What am I doing wrong? Do I need to heat it up, cool it down, or change alloy? Says to use soft lead on the mold box. Is this why, or is it the mold temp. Thanks in advance

Echd
10-18-2013, 01:51 PM
In both hollow base and hollow point molds, get the pin really, really hot. Smoking your cavities beforehand can help also with release, but heat on the pins will help you more than anything else.

tomme boy
10-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Check for burrs on the base piece. Mine was doing the same thing and I took sandpaper to the V part and smoothed it up. Does not stick anymore.

longbow
10-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Yup, check for burrs! Use a magnifying glass or drag a Q-tip around the edges. If the Q-tip snags there is a burr.

I did the same as tomme boy and smoothed mine up with fine sand paper ~ like 400 grit. Cast fine now.

Longbow

Old Scribe
10-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Lee does recomend smudging the mold cavity before casting. I know this has helped when I've cast round balls.

Pb2au
10-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Get some zillion grit sandpaper and deburr the center pin. Mine the same thing, and I was ready to return thud mold via taping it to a brick and throwing it through the front window of Lee Precision.
Calmed down, debarred the edges, casts great now.