PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Foul Up

williamwaco
10-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Confession.

Wasn't paying enough attention earlier this week and loaded 100 rounds if .38 Specials with the resizing die backed out about 3/8inch.

I guess they were "Neck Sized". They were sized enough I didn't notice any difference on force to expand them or to seat the bullets.

When I discovered what happened, I thought NO WAY. I am not pulling 100 rounds.

I calipered them and the base area was several thousandth too large. ( Same size as unresized cases. )
I tried them in my TC and my Smith and they chambered just fine.

I thought "Well?" Everyone says "Neck sizing will improve accuracy." - Maybe they will improve accuracy.

I took them to the range and fired four 5 shot and one ten shot groups.
The five shoters averaged 2.71 inches and the 10 shot measured 3.00.

TC 2G 15" Bbl
Weaver 2.5-8x set on 2.5x
25 yards
Sandbags

Next week I am going to try them in my Smith and Wesson 686.

Now.
With all else constant, that same load with full length resized cases, averages 1.75 for 24 5 shot groups.

Now it is your turn.

Anyone ever try "neck sizing" revolver cases?

Garyshome
10-18-2013, 12:55 PM
No but I had a problem loading up some 9mm for testing. Just could not get the powder measured correct. Kept screwing up the scale, and not checking for proper measurement. It was only 30 rounds so I pulled them all and they were all wrong. No ka-booms today!

Scharfschuetze
10-18-2013, 01:15 PM
I've not neck sized 38 Special or 357 cases, but I do it all the time for 45 Colt cases. While I've not noted any increase in accuracy, I think the case life is extended and I've not noted any issues with chambering in my revolver; this after up to 10 reloads per case. Of course my loads are standard velocity loads at probably about factory pressures. Might not work for higher pressure bear loads in a stronger revolver than mine.

If your cases become recalcitrant in chambering after a few loads, just F/L size 'em the next time and you'll be back in business.

paul h
10-18-2013, 01:40 PM
I think I did try them in my contender years ago and didn't find any benefit in accuracy, might have done the same in my blackhawk as well. I wouldn't expect any increased case life, all my straight wall pistol cartridges fail from split case mouths and that's a factor of how many times and how extensively you bell and crimp them.

I've got a few different 357's so want ammo that will easily chamber in all of them. F/l sizing allows that, and so that's what I do.

I've tried partial sizing and neck sizing in rifles, haven't seen a difference in accuracy but I'm not a competitive shooter. I've shot sub moa groups with all my centerfire rifles, so fl sizing doesn't seem to hinder them either.

bhn22
10-18-2013, 01:52 PM
I once experimented using a Lee FCD to size 44 mag cases. I removed the crimping pieces and went at it. I had to decap in a separate die of course. I didn't notice any real difference in group sizes, but quit the practice when I realized that some of the cases didn't chamber in my Redhawk without real effort. I later got even with the hated FCD by removing the carbide ring and making it into a simple crimp die instead.

HangFireW8
10-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Neck sizing doesn't necessarily make for better accuracy. Consistant bullet pull and concentric loads make for better accuracy.

shorty500M
10-18-2013, 08:40 PM
partially or necksize only as you say for one old .45Colt of mine that has old antique oversized chambers that are at saami maximum dimension along with having .457 throats and a ,454 groove diameter. cases last much longer and i figuire the closer fit between case and chamber definitely cant huurt accurracy. plus the .457 diameter Keith style slug weighing in at 283g in ww metal seems to be a favorite in this old 25-5 S&W. it thrives on H4227 and is accurreta enough i have it zeroed at 100yd for long range shooting and deer hunting with the iron sights

9.3X62AL
10-18-2013, 11:34 PM
I also neck-sized 45 Colt cases for a time. My RCBS tungsten-carbide sizer die in this caliber GROSSLY under-sized my cases, to .469" from an as-fired diameter of .478"-.479". I bought a steel RCBS sizer die, and its final diameter is .476"-.477", depending on case make. These fatter-finished cases plunk right into all chambers, and last MUCH longer in the bargain. Now I full-length reesize my 45 Colt brass "Old School" with case lube and the steel sizer, and all is well.

HeavyMetal
10-18-2013, 11:53 PM
For my S&W model 52 I polished out a steel 310 38 special sizer die to reduce the over working of match brass during sizing with carbide dies.

With Mehia's HBWC she'll shoot into one hole off a sand bag if I do my part,LOL!

Down side is said ammo won't fit in the TC 357 barrel or my Police Positive, so they get fed a diet of different brass!

Petrol & Powder
10-19-2013, 10:52 AM
With a straight walled revolver cartridge I can see no benefit from sizing only the front of the case. In a bottle-necked case there may be an advantage in neck sizing so that you don't keep pushing the shoulder back during each reloading cycle. I think the only result will be that you'll create rounds that don't fit in some chambers.

9.3X62AL
10-19-2013, 01:44 PM
I suspect the primary benefit being sought here is extension of brass case life via reduction of shrinking/expansion cycling. I couldn't really discern an accuracy advantage in my situation, but I suppose such a scenario is possible. Mostly, I was happy to dispel the Coke-bottle cartridge aspect and sidewall faults after 4-5 refills.

missionary5155
10-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Greetings
I am a partial resizer. But then I also segregate brass to particular revolvers. Maybe with a Ransom rest someone would be able to discern an accuracy difference.
But for me I can see no reason to over crunch my brass. If perfect fitting brass at the case head is all I end up with I am smiling about it. Just seems silly to me to mess with a near perfect fit.
Mike in Peru

44man
10-20-2013, 06:24 PM
I messed with it for a while. Maybe a small difference but soon brass would no longer chamber so i had to FL again. I gave it up and just FL. Veral Smith talked about it to keep brass in better alignment but I have not seen much difference.
It has been proven with rifles too, that FL in no worse then neck sizing unless you push shoulders back.

williamwaco
10-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys.

I expected more differences in opinion.

Seems like most people have had about the same experience.