PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Miha Cramer mold and solution

Wayne Smith
10-18-2013, 09:45 AM
My 45 Miha HP mold was giving me fits, not closing, being very stubborn, and hard to cast. I decided to rehab it. Took it into the family room and started to pull the HP pins. Several wouldn't pull through. I decided to unscrew the pin shafts to get them out.

Lo and Behold - Each of the shaft screw threads were rusted to the shaft! I have let this mold cool on my hot plate in the garage, sometimes staying there overnight. That was obviously a mistake. I disassembled each HP pin and re-assembled with a drop of Sprue Plate Lube on the threads.

I guess I got a little too much on a couple. The mold works great but did smoke a little and I had a few boolits to toss back in the pot until it stopped smoking. That's in the process of casting around 300 boolits with it.

The mold is now and forever more cooling in the air conditioned family room on the brick fireplace.

cbrick
10-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Yep, that's routine practice for me the day the mold arrives and each time I use it. Bull Plate on the shafts and threads. Yep, easy to get just a bit too much on them but that's a far better thing than the alternative. :mrgreen:

Rick

Smoke4320
10-18-2013, 10:29 AM
I push the pins to the outside of the mold then take a Q-tip moistened with bullplate lube and rub on the shafts . Then push Pins to inside and lube that side .. then a little touch on the pins ..
This can be done with the mold is still warm
Works well for me

if you have to leave quicker hit it with some wd40 .. just know with will all have to be washed and lubed before casting again