PDA

View Full Version : My sons second deer

gds
10-17-2013, 09:34 PM
My son who is almost 18 took his first deer a couple of years ago and has not shot one again since. Well he finally got a second one. He really likes my savage stevens 200 in .308 winchester. And I have a habit of testing all kinds of bullets. Currently this season have at least 4 different boolits and j-word bullets to test on deer. My standard .308 load with the Lee 155 gr pointed boolit is 29.5 gr of reloader 7. The boolit is simply water dropped wheel weights. gives me 2200fps out of the savage and functions my M1919, as well as works in an L1A1 and a DPMS .308 AR. very accurate.

In my testing I got great mushrooming in water jugs and wet books. However I was not expecting the damage I got actually seeing it used on game.

she was not a big doe at all, but she is tender and he did it all on his own. Shot her, drug her, cleaned her, and cut her up.

Entrance wound

Exit wound, yes that is a quarter

I now have 3 other bullets to test before I come back around to an all cast super sonic boolit

John Allen
10-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Congrats, that is a heck of an exit wound.

TCLouis
10-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Congratulations on hs success.

NICE exit!

44man
10-18-2013, 08:16 AM
Very good. I like to see the results of different velocities with cast.
Those are the kind of deer I keep, give away the big ones! [smilie=l:

M Hicks
10-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Very nice work and congratulations to your son. I look forward to the day mine are old enough to hunt with me.

OnHoPr
10-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Congrats to your son with the tasty morsels.

Grendel99
10-19-2013, 01:34 AM
Nice! Congrats to your son for doing all the work from shot to freezer. A lot of adults don't even do that anymore! I'm surprised at the damage, looks like you have a great load combo. Did the deer drop? Blood trail? Range of shot?

gds
10-19-2013, 05:26 AM
Thank you gentleman.

She ended up about ten yds from where she was shot but traveled about 20 to 25 yds because she kind of made a 1/2 circle. excellent blood trail. my son was all upset at first because he shot her just a few minutes before last light and he thought he had gut shot her. He has helped track some deer that were gut shot and he knows the difficulty in recovery. There was some stomach matter on the ground, but it was just a small amount and then it turned into a very good blood trail. the stomach was damaged, but i think it was more from hydro-static shock. At least best I could tell based on the massive internal damage. You can still see some around the exit wound in the picture above.

Nice! Congrats to your son for doing all the work from shot to freezer. A lot of adults don't even do that anymore! I'm surprised at the damage, looks like you have a great load combo. Did the deer drop? Blood trail? Range of shot?

missionary5155
10-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Good morning and tell your son " Well done " !
I can remember my son in Minnesota and his first deer(s). He should be out in the bushes now doing the stick and string routine.
Mike in Peru