PDA

View Full Version : Lookie what I found!!!

mikeym1a
10-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Went to see what the salvage yard had since I got my SS in the bank. They had about 175lbs of WW's. So, I got a bucket from them, and started loading them in, tossing aside the lug nuts, nails, and other junk. Then saw the rounded end of a very large chunk. I snatched it up fast and dropped it in the bucket. Ended up with about 56lbs of stuff. Not as cheap as my favorite tire store, but didn't have to travel anywhere to get them. Got stuff home, started the pot, filled it. Brought the chunk inside, cleaned it. No writing. Tested it with my Lee hardness tester. Got a reading of .84. Their chart on goes to .79, which is 8bhn. So I guess I have a chunk of 3lbs 12 oz of pretty pure lead. And I don't even have to smelt it! Sometimes, life is fun! :-o

mikeym1a
10-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Oh, and now it's getting dark...............pooh.

Well, I hustled outside, and skimmed what was in the pot, and dropped what was left on the benchtop into the pot, covered it with sawdust. after a bit, skimmed again, started dipping. Filled my Lee mould to the brim 7 times. That's about 4lb 3oz on the average. There was still about 3/4 of a mold left, but left it in for the next time, maybe tomorrow. Cut off the fire, came inside, made fresh coffee. Today wasn't too bad, after all. 8-)

frankenfab
10-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Congratulations

7Acres
10-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Good haul. Enjoy the smelt!

Bzcraig
10-17-2013, 10:07 PM
A good day indeed mikey!

John Allen
10-17-2013, 10:12 PM
I have yet to get any good lead from my junk yards hopefully this means I have a big score coming.

mikeym1a
10-18-2013, 02:09 AM
My main tire store saves them for me, but, it's only about 50-60lbs/mo. The other big tire store in town requires that the store sell their used WW's to the salvage yard, and send the check to corporate. They can't sell to individuals. So, I go to the salvage yard and get them there. The good part of that is that they have already cleaned out most of the iron. Still some zinc, but not much. I was surprised by that chunk of lead. Usually I find stuff like that in the lead box, at twice the price of the WW's. These last few hauls of WW's have had a good bit os SOWW's. Theres about 6 lbs laying on the bench waiting to be smelted. I find the smelting relaxing, as long as I don't spill any on my feet............... It ended the day nicely, with 28lbs 11oz added to last nights 48lb 11oz. And I've still more to do. My son alerted me to a '60s era single shot savage pistol that a friend wants to sell. If I don't get that, I'll probably go get some more of the WW's. Still working to my goal of 3000lbs. :-D

mikeym1a
10-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Finished up the WW's this afternoon. 38lbs 15.5oz. giving me a total of 115lb, 4.5oz. I also had 6lb5oz of soww, which is pretty much pure, shiney lead. Then I went to my fav gun shop, and took the owner my extra copy of the Lyman #4 manual. I espied on his shelf a can of 4227, and an can of 4831. Metal cans. Old, new stock. Got those, and a few hornet shell, and a 25-25 shell, for R&D. Not a bad afternoon. Have to work tomorrow. Good thing. That'll pay for the powder! Not a bad day at all. Feel I accomplished something this week. Cheers!!!

Oh, the 6+lbs of soww does not include the chunk of lead that started this thread. So I ended with approx 11lbs of PB. 8-)

williamwaco
10-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Went to see what the salvage yard had since I got my SS in the bank. They had about 175lbs of WW's. So, I got a bucket from them, and started loading them in, tossing aside the lug nuts, nails, and other junk. Then saw the rounded end of a very large chunk. I snatched it up fast and dropped it in the bucket. Ended up with about 56lbs of stuff. Not as cheap as my favorite tire store, but didn't have to travel anywhere to get them. Got stuff home, started the pot, filled it. Brought the chunk inside, cleaned it. No writing. Tested it with my Lee hardness tester. Got a reading of .84. Their chart on goes to .79, which is 8bhn. So I guess I have a chunk of 3lbs 12 oz of pretty pure lead. And I don't even have to smelt it! Sometimes, life is fun! :-o

You can find an expanded Lee Chart here.

http://reloadingtips.com/reviews/lee_bnh_chart.htm

mikeym1a
10-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks!! After you mentioned it, I did remember reading about that a while back, but had forgotten it. It's printing as we speak. That gives it a bhn of 7. Lead with just a smidge of tin in it. :grin:

el34
10-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Lead would need about 6% tin to bring it to 7BHN. My guess would be 2% antimony.