PDA

View Full Version : Changing interests in shooting

jonk
10-17-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm curious, how many of you over the years have found your particular interest areas changing, either for a collecting or shooting standpoint?

I started out mainly interested in plinking with .22s. I next got into military bolt guns in a big way. In the last year I find myself more and more switching to muzzleloaders- either original or replicas of revolutionary through Civil War stuff. I'm also finding a new fondness for handguns, to a certain extent.

How about you all? Where did you start, where are you now?

paul h
10-17-2013, 03:56 PM
I've been through several phases. Started out with centerfire hunting rifles, that turned into medium bore to big bore phase, the contender pistol phase, the wildcat phase, big bore revolver phase, the english rifle cartridge phase, getting guns for my kids phase and now I find myself in the AR phase and revolver phase. Haven't been through the 1911 phase, CAS phase, or self defense phase nor the blackpowder phase.

I've never really been a collector. If I don't find myself shooting a gun or interest has faded it'll be sold to get something else. Still have at least a dozen different handguns and rifles I'd like to get, trouble is I can't see selling any of what I currently have to fund them.

Big Boomer
10-17-2013, 04:01 PM
I started out like many do with .22 rimfires and single-shot shotguns for the first 25 years of my life. Then I got the .357 Mag. bug that expanded to the .41 Mag. and then the .44 Mag. At that point I decided that rimfires were not for me and got rid of them all except for a couple (a .22 Springfield competition rifle and a Colt handgun) that were gifts from old friends. I have since passed those two on to my grandson since my benefactors are now deceased. After discovering the .45 Colt in custom 5-shot persuasion and two more conventionally chambered, and the .45 ACP, I rid myself of all the other magnum handguns. Along the way I went on to centerfire rifles of calibers from .22 to .243 to .30. Because I found a Mossberg 500 at a giveaway price, I now own one of those. I am satisfied pretty much with what I have and feel that nothing more is to be gained. However, some years back a nice like-new S&W M27 with a 5" barrel and nickel plating (and a nice price tag) came my way so I'm now back into a smaller caliber magnum. So a fellow can change his mind. That's o. k. too. Big Boomer

starmac
10-17-2013, 04:07 PM
I guess I am different, I pretty much like them all, except I just never really got into semi auto anything. I am pretty much a blackpowder to bigbores in rifles and handguns, and very rarely sell anything for some reason. I tell my wife it is a savings account. lol I have given away far more guns than I have ever sold.

mckenziedrums
10-17-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm too new to shooting to really give a good picture... but I did start out with milsurps (had my C&R just a few months after shooting my first milsurp!) and I do enjoy the one AR I have from a fun plinking standpoint. I have noticed as I've progressed in my reloading and now casting that I'm eyeballing cartridges I never would have considered before.

mold maker
10-17-2013, 04:30 PM
I've been through the whole 9 yards of interests, with the collection growing with each change. The problem is I can't seem to part with anything. I just buy another safe.
The same problem exist in the reloading room, with 4 presses, and shelves deep with dies. The floor is held down with ammo cans of boolits and ammo.

oscarflytyer
10-17-2013, 04:31 PM
moved a cpl 22s awhile back, and selling off some milsurps that I have collected over 20 years. Currently into lever guns - Marlins and Savage 99s. And also cpl SA Ruger Revolvers - but I have had many of those cycle thru my hands. last, moving to lower recoil rounds due to old rebuilt shoulders.

fishnbob
10-17-2013, 04:36 PM
I started out with .22's and shotguns and finally lost interest and found them to be dangerous to have on hand and destroyed them all. I feel so much safer knowing the police is only a phone call or 20 minutes or so away. My pump up air rifle is comforting to have around for the raiders of my bird feeders.

Win94ae
10-17-2013, 04:49 PM
I acquire firearms for hunting, and defensive purposes. So if I run across a firearm at a good price, that will do the job better than what I have, or fill a void, I'll buy it.

dagger dog
10-17-2013, 05:13 PM
As others a 22 was my first experience, I purchased my first gun a shotgun for hunting, more 22's levers and bolts, double barrel shotguns, my first center fire revolver, a semi auto hand gun, next was a muzzle loader along with casting round balls to shoot. First center fire rifle was a milsurp Mauser, semi auto center fire rifle, hi cap semi auto handguns.

Sold all my evil black guns went with revolvers, single actions and double actions rim fires and center fires, a couple semi auto 22 hand guns and rifles, pump shotguns, single barrel shotguns and rifles, couple top break revolvers.

Right now just about every thing I own is wood and blue steel, I have two handguns with black grips and as soon as I find wood stocks for one at a reasonable price , it will be one old top break that's nickel and black grips.

I guess old men and old guns kinda go together.

375supermag
10-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Hi...

i started out with .22rifles and shotguns for hunting small game(slugs for deer).
When I became an adult, I switched to rifles for deer and bear. I started shooting handguns in competition at about age 25 and continued for about 10 years or so, until my eyesight started to go south.

Now I just hunt and target shoot with rifles, handguns and shotguns...never got into black powder. Still mostly shoot handguns...big fan of revolvers SA and DA and 1911s. I buy more guns these days for my 19-year-old son than I do for me.
I still have a few toys to buy before I retire in 3 years or so...a few rifles in calibers I don't have or wish to re-visit, a shotgun or two and a few handguns. Once I retire, I should have time to devote to CASS matches (something I always wanted to do) provided my health holds.

youngda9
10-17-2013, 06:57 PM
shout 4K+ rounds of pistol, mostly 357 and 44, each of the last few years. Quit that almost cold turkey this year for rifle paper punching at 100 yds doing load development work. Went through a short 45-70 phase with a sharps and guide gun and then quickly realized I had no use for either and sold them off. Used to shoot a lot of rimfire sporter and don't find myself practicing much for that either lately.

ShooterAZ
10-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Well, the last gun I sold was an AR15. I picked up a Model 94 and a Ruger Old Army...for shooting cast. I have never lost my affinity for handguns, but the game sure has changed since I started casting.

Reverend Al
10-17-2013, 07:41 PM
I started out target "plinking" with .22's and milsurps (mostly .303 British LE's which were cheap and available at the time) at about 16 years old and then switched over to BP muzzle loading for about 5 years, then it was on to PPC pistol, IPSC pistol, some Trap, some Skeet, quite a bit of Cowboy Action Shooting, a smattering of Sporting Clays, etc., etc., etc., all of which was inter-spaced with several years of big game and upland game bird hunting too. The trouble is that I am now 60+ and still thoroughly enjoying any and all of the shooting sports (and mainly trying to help out any new shooters that are willing to listen and learn!), but I didn't part with very many of my "previously enjoyed toys" and so I now have about 150 + and still keep buying more regardless of the numbers! The good news is that I can always switch back to any of my previously enjoyed shooting disciplines by just walking over to one of the various gun safes and pulling out a suitable gun for the job at hand ...
My biggest problem is that I still like to shoot ANYTHING that goes "BANG" ...!!!
:bigsmyl2:

btroj
10-17-2013, 07:59 PM
All the time. I go with whatever seems interesting at the time.

Competition isn't a consideration any longer, I grew tired of rule Nazis and morons who can't shoot.

I now go with what is fun to me at the time. If it isn't relaxing to do, I don't do it.

M-Tecs
10-17-2013, 08:16 PM
I started out with .22's, 45 Colts,45/70’s and shooting trap. I still actively shoot everything. I have not lost interest in anything but I have gained interest in areas I thought I would never like such as full auto and cowboy action. I started out just having fun than I got very competitive and now I am mostly interested in just having fun again.

marvelshooter
10-17-2013, 08:21 PM
I started shooing in .22 gallery league and slowly moved into 3 gun (.22 CF and .45) competition. I achieved a few milestones but grew tired of the long days away from home and mostly gave them up. I still shoot in the gallery league and play with cast boolits in old rifles on the weekend if I feel like it.

ShooterAZ
10-17-2013, 08:24 PM
All the time. I go with whatever seems interesting at the time.

Competition isn't a consideration any longer, I grew tired of rule Nazis and morons who can't shoot.

I now go with what is fun to me at the time. If it isn't relaxing to do, I don't do it.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I lost most of the vision in my right dominant eye, so I have some trouble with depth perception. I also had to switch from shooting rifles from righty to lefty. I gave up the USPSA for the same reasons as you. I still shoot a lot, and still do quite well. I just had to do some adapting, and am in it just for the fun of it now...no pressure.

Bzcraig
10-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Who are you guys trying to fool? Any change in the art of acquiring firearms is nothing more than an excuse for another. And some of y'all have more than one of the same gun! Life is sweeter with more guns! :bigsmyl2: :cbpour:

Spawn-Inc
10-17-2013, 09:16 PM
i started with a 22lr as well, bolt action savage which i don't plan to sell unless i really need the money. I'm mostly into handguns because of the range i joined.

one of the tricks i've learned is to buy some ammo of the gun you want, then you have a valid excuse to buy a gun to safely shoot it in :)

wv109323
10-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I have always had a knack for competition type firearms.(pistol and rifle) I have not ventured from from that theme. I love the smell of gun powder early in the morning. Occasionally I have been known to purchase a lever action rifle.

LynC2
10-17-2013, 09:29 PM
As a teenager I was an avid hunter with my .22 single shot. Later I acquired a single shot 16 gauge shotgun and added quail and dove hunting to my excursions. Then Viet Nam came along and after 4 years of that I started shooting a lot of pistol and some rifle. I did a bit of benchrest cast bullet rifle shooting and then later some "J" benchrest too. Then I decided I needed to get a M1 to play with from the DCM and until a couple of years ago I only shot HP and Palma. Now I am back shooting cast bullets in my pistols and rifles; while having a ball again!

John Allen
10-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Same here. I used to be into Military WW2 guns now I find myself heading back to the Civil war and and Indian War Times. I still like my ww2 stuff but rarely shoot it anymore. Once you get bit by a smokepole it is hard to get over. As they say smokeless powder is just a passing fad.

Love Life
10-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Started with a 22. Never much got into shotguns as I don't enjoy duck, dove, pheasant, or quail hunting. Plus I was able to hit what I aimed at with a rifle! :bigsmyl2:

Been through quite a few handguns (revolver and auto) through the years and used to be quite good until I got some nerve damage awhile back.

Rifles. Now that's something I love!! I've gone through many rifle phases. From ultralight rifles for hunting, nice bluing and wood rifles, and now I'm currently in the fad of heavy rifles.

I reckon once I stopped hunting the herbivores is when I made my change to my most current fad in rifles. When I hunted deer I was a spot and stalk hunter.

Since I do predator hunts and ground squirrel I sit for longer periods so rifle weight is moot. Yep. All I shoot now are coyotes, ground squirrels, paper, and steel.

John Allen
10-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Love Life at Dixons gunmakers fair they had a false muzzle, muzzeloader bench rest gun that had to be at least 20 lbs. it was a beast.

Love Life
10-17-2013, 10:21 PM
That would be interesting to see. I wonder what type of accuracy they got and what ranges they were shooting at.

John Allen
10-17-2013, 10:23 PM
i did not look at the groups for the exact size but they were shot at 200 yards and you could cover them with a quarter.

rking22
10-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Started with a single shot 22 , competitive 3 position and hunting then high power ,handgun sillewet ,smallbore siiiewet ,air rifles ,Flint locks,10 meter shooting, then a Sharps ,then sporting clays ,trap, skeet ,international skeet , back to revolvers , now some semi auto pistols , long bows , .... I guess my interests change as time passes , thing is I still play at all the rest when the urge strikes. Presently only going to hunt with prewar stuff and shoot some vintage skeet. Have never and any interest in plastic/tacticool/LRP/ ect. Guess that might be next.... or NOT. Blued steel and walnut has been a constant along with 22 rimfires and pump guns ! Last purchases were a 16ga Model 12 from 1914 and a Rem 33 , full circle I guess.

Love Life
10-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Amazing. Just simply amazing. I love the history of benchrest and target rifles. I see groups posted by some of the black powder guys shooting the holy black with iron sights and I think "Dang." Most people can't shoot groups like that at 200 yds with a centerfire and a high mag scope.

TXGunNut
10-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Got my start in serious shooting with police duty weapons, PPC guns, riot shotguns and even an ugly black (actually green) patrol rifle. I no longer compete or carry a badge and like my physique my taste in guns has gotten bigger and slower. I'll break in a new shotgun now and then and shoot my carry gun and black rifle now and then but I have the most fun with leverguns and SAA revolvers these days, Holy Black makes it even better. Most days I can't even get excited about my bolt guns.
But .22's....there's something I've always loved, hopefully always will. Every time I take them out I wonder why I don't do it more often.
An old friend and I were always in different "phases" of interest. When we met I liked the medium bore handguns, he liked big bores. Twenty years later he liked medium bores, I carried a 1911. Our tastes were always slightly at odds so we had something to argue about for over 30 years. He's been gone a little over a year now, sure miss the lively discussions we had.

wallenba
10-17-2013, 11:08 PM
After giving everything a taste, I've kind of settled down with my bolt action rifles. They give me the most rewards for my reloading efforts. I have two favorite handguns as well, but most of my guns are now safe queens.

captain-03
10-17-2013, 11:15 PM
US Army retired ... so I have always been interested in the US military small arms. Have a bunch of Garands, carbines, '03s, 17s, and 1 Krag. Then went to the more modern military arms with the M1A and AR platforms.

Unlike most here, 22s never really caught my eye -- that is until recently!! Now I have this passion for US military 22 trainers and competing with them. I am the smallbore match directer for my local range and just love to shoot the trainers (Win 52D, Kimber 82G, USMC Rem 40X, Rem 513T, H&R 12, Mossberg 44 and 144). Rarely shoot much of anything else these days!!

waksupi
10-18-2013, 12:37 AM
I've went through quite a few disciplines over the years. I've been working on selling off all my long guns that I didn't personally build. I'll still have more than I can shoot.

David2011
10-18-2013, 01:54 AM
First gun was a Marlin .22 that I still have. Most of my rounds are spent on USPSA pistol competition. One of my competition pistols was bought from a builder and I built the other one, a 1911. I always liked handguns but started shooting rifles a few years ago. The current thrust it to build more of my own rifles. I have one completed that is 100% my work and another almost finished. There are more actions in the safe so there will be more builds. I could buy a nice Savage 110 for what I can build one for but I like the building and then hunting with a rifle I built. We're still eating on last year's harvest that I took with a rifle I built and expect to take at least a couple of deer this fall on hunts near San Angelo and San Antonio.

It's more than just the shooting, though. Something else I've really enjoyed lately is introducing other shooters to progressive equipment and expect to teach several friends to reload that have never done it before. Maybe someone will be interested in casting, too.

David

texassako
10-18-2013, 10:05 AM
My tastes in firearms have slowly evolved, but always leaned towards the unusual calibers. I never really got into the shotgun sports or muzzleloaders. Lately the handguns are lonely and forgotten in the back of the safe while I mess around with several rifles.

popper
10-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Love Life - ever read about the old codgers who started the Long Island shooting comp with Scots (IIRC)? Old M.D. made the clincher @ 800yds(?), iron sights. No sighting or fouler shots, just go pull the trigger. Got into shooting 5yrs ago with a 40SW, then 30/30, 22s, shotgun & 308. Learned to reload & now cast & coat. If I ever find a local 200 yd range. About the only thing on my bucket list, other than visiting Alaska which probably won't happen.

Boyscout
10-18-2013, 09:24 PM
I love my 1911, my Ruger MK II, my CZ 452 .22 LR........ but the guns I love most are the ones my grandfather and father owned. I want to hunt with everyone of them. We buried my father today, and I will hunt something this year with the 16 Gauge Ithaca Double he passed on to me even if it's just squirrels. I may have to hunt out-of-state so I can kill a deer with the .35 Remington he gave me (with cast bullets of course). My taste in guns hasn't changed but what I shoot out of them has.

Lucky Joe
10-18-2013, 09:29 PM
I think I've been through every phase and find my self returning to the standards, single shot shotguns and SXS's, Winchester 94"s in the .30-30 even looking at a .30-30 Savage bolt gun and revolvers. Been cleaning out a lot of stuff over the last couple of years, I'm not going to leave my wife with all the guns in the world. More important than the firearms are the friends I've made due to the firearm interest. But then again I may start all over again, I'm only 65 yrs. old.

rking22
10-18-2013, 10:34 PM
Boyscout , so sorry to hear of your loss. I know how you feel about hunting with those guns that connect you and your father. I do the same every year ,usually not with his gun , but with one that takes be back to those times and memories.