PDA

View Full Version : Question on RCBS 38 / 357 Dies

bedbugbilly
10-17-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm looking at possibly getting a set of RCBS 38/357 dies to try but have a question. In looking on Midway - they show two different 38/357 Carbide 3 die sets. One is listed for Cowboy Action Shooting and recommended for that activity and loading the lead bullets for it. I also noticed that several other brands had two different sets - one for CAS and one for what I presume is "normal" loading.

I'm using cast lead 158 gr SWC and a 150 gr Round Nose - both that I have cast up. Will the regular set of dies work O.K. or will they deform these slugs when seating? Or should I try and get the CAS set if I will primarily be using cast boolits?

Also - can anyone recommend a source for these dies (and other dies) that's a sponsor on this site? The next thing is to find a source that has a set in stock - I'm looking for carbide. I'm pretty new to it and am still finding my way around. Thanks.

45FP
10-17-2013, 07:32 PM
I shoot mostly cast boolits in 38/357, .44 and 45 and only use standard carbide dies, never noticed any problems from them.
YMMV but I guess you would get good results from standard dies too. Good idea to go with carbide.
As for a source for them midway is where i get most of my stuff from.
Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

David2011
10-18-2013, 02:24 AM
Definitely Carbide. Kudos for wanting to buy from a site sponsor. I've loaded cast with regular RCBS dies in several calibers since the early '80s with great accuracy and no problems but 'em Cowboy dies sure are purty! I think that if I had to replace my .45 Colt dies I would go with the Cowboy dies just 'cause I like working with nice tools.

David

LUBEDUDE
10-18-2013, 04:25 AM
I have regular dies and some of the Cowboy dies in the same caliber. Don't know if I see a performance difference in any except maybe the 44-40. Now in the 45-70 I've only loaded .458's, haven't tried .459 or .460.

And in 45 Colt I've only loaded .452, no .454's yet.

And as David noted, for a few extra Bucks you get the case hardened look with Brass lock rings which look extra special-while at the same time knowing that they are made for cast Boolits.

All things considered, I think the Cowboy dies are worth it.

captaint
10-18-2013, 10:08 AM
The cowboy dies SHOULD have a slightly larger expander. I have set for my 38-55 and they work great. If I'm not mistaken, mine came with 2 expanders, one for Pb and one for jacketed. Mike