PDA

View Full Version : Which states outlaw lead?

shaper
10-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Just wondering which states actually outlaw or restrict owning lead. I know some states are slowly phasing out the use of lead in wheel weights. I keep seeing posts from members that cannot find lead in their area.
Are there members that flat out cannot find it in their state and must have someone to ship it in?

jmort
10-17-2013, 09:21 AM
No state outlaws lead. Here in California, no lead COWW and now now hunting with lead. For me at least, lead is very hard to find "used." I have found a single salvage yard that has lead to sell occasionally. You can own it everywhere.

shaper
10-17-2013, 09:39 AM
So if you can't hunt with lead, what are you going to use?
My intent in the post was to find the areas in the country where our members have the most difficulty, or the total absence in finding lead. Myself, I have no difficulty in procuring what I need, so I would not mind helping a member in this hobby. I know there are people that have more than they can use in a life time. but there are people that have a hard time just getting started.

jmort
10-17-2013, 09:46 AM
"My intent in the post was to find the areas in the country where our members have the most difficulty, or the total absence in finding lead."

It is scarce here in So. Cal. Hunt with copper.

shaper
10-17-2013, 09:52 AM
So to keep hunting, the people in CAl. will have to cast bulletes with copper?

Defcon-One
10-17-2013, 10:03 AM
I think that they use Copper Solids w/HPs, manufactured ammo. About $2.50 -3.00 per round, maybe more!

Pretty hard to cast a copper bullet, especially at home!

fishnbob
10-17-2013, 10:08 AM
If the Libs cannot take the guns, then they go after the ammo or make it too costly to use. Brilliant!

ShooterAZ
10-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Here in AZ Game & Fish are asking for "Voluntary" use of non-lead bullets for hunting the units that are along the boundary of the Grand Canyon. They re-introduced The Condor up there, and as we all know, the Condors have an enormous appetite for lead. Game & Fish is checking hunt camps in those areas to educate hunters, and are giving out free boxes of lead free hunting ammo. WW is next to impossible to find here, but I still manage to scrounge plenty of lead, mostly roofing lead from construction demos.

grampa243
10-17-2013, 12:25 PM
new york has out-lawed lead wheel weights..

but i get range lead and lead pipe from plumers fairly offten.. the one plumer only wants some round balls in return for lead he gives me :)

Crytes
10-17-2013, 01:10 PM
in those places that outlaw lead for hunting do they allow jacketed and if so were would pc bullets fall in?

Aunegl
10-17-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm seeing Bismuth boolits in our future:

"Lead replacement:
The density difference between lead (density 11.32 g·cm−3) and bismuth (density 9.78 g·cm−3) is small enough that for many ballistics and weighting applications, bismuth can substitute for lead. For example, it can replace lead as a dense material in fishing sinkers. It has been used as a replacement for lead in shot, bullets and less-lethal riot gun ammunition. The Netherlands, Denmark, England, Wales, the US, and many other countries now prohibit the use of lead shot for the hunting of wetland birds, as many birds are prone to lead poisoning owing to mistaken ingestion of lead (instead of small stones and grit) to aid digestion, or even prohibit the use of lead for all hunting, such as in the Netherlands. Bismuth-tin alloy shot is one alternative that provides similar ballistic performance to lead. (Another less expensive but also more poorly performing alternative is "steel" shot, which is actually soft iron.) Bismuth's lack of malleability does, however, make it unsuitable for use in expanding hunting bullets."

fredj338
10-17-2013, 04:09 PM
So to keep hunting, the people in CAl. will have to cast bulletes with copper?

No, to hunt in Kommifornia, you will have to use a monometal bullet, no lead core. So that means commercial bullets. All Kommifornia did was insure a drop in hunting revenues going forward. It won't save a single Condor or anything else.
No state I am aware of bans lead in general, but many do control how things like ww are disposed of. So in Kommifornia, no lead ww & everything lead has to go thru hazmat, not just thrown out. So you have a huge market out here if you want to sell some good lead.[smilie=s:

Defcon-One
10-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Condors, like Manittes in Florida are dieing off due to the normal cycles of nature. ie. They are nolonger viable. They are obsolete. They do not compute.

Why do Liberals, who claim to Love nature, have such a hard time when natural laws come into play. Sometimes, you have to let nature take it's course.

They will not save either, no matter how much they try or how much of our money they spend trying to. Nature always wins these battles. It is natural!

Crytes
10-17-2013, 10:06 PM
I think the problem is that liberals think too much of themselves and human influence in general. So for every precieved problem they look for a human cause and then feel good about them selves thinking they can solve it. And then because it is a threat to them feeling good about themselves they adhear to their theories and models reguardless of what simple and obvious observation will tell them. Just look at how fast the planet is warming up we should all be fritters by now.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Minnesota, Land of the Liberal Loons, has done this.

A state mandate that any state owned vehicle, when being maintained, only non-lead wheels weights can be installed.

What this does,
any private owned garage that maintains vehicles for the State,must stock non-lead wheel weights for the State vehicles they work on...why would they choose the hassle of stocking Lead wheel weights too ?

Reaper
10-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Bury your gut pile----Starve a Condor

Garyshome
10-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Crytes... Libs are not that smart. after all they all support abortion don't they?

fryboy
10-17-2013, 11:46 PM
only up until just after birth abortions ... any after that they protest violently and somehow seem to think that even the baddest of axe murderers can be saved ( as if ...geez )

new cars come with steel ww's , it's not that we dont have lead ww's around here in the middle but i tend to believe ( from the various comments i get when searching ) that some old retired guy with nothing else to do and with 20 tons at home beats me out in every shop i've tried , me i have to work for a living so when i can get by those shops the story is always the same " we save them for this old guy who's been getting them for years.... " , i do find a few at a scrap yard but ... he wants the same price for ww's ( with clips ) as he does for lead bars or various other scrap lead , telling him that 20-30 % of it's junk iron doesnt matter so i dont buy them from him as i'd rather give a vendor here the same amount per pound and not have to smelt it

shaper
10-18-2013, 08:29 AM
I get coww at the local metal recycle yard for .50 per pound. After seperating and smelting they will buy back what I can't use, for what I paid for it. Can't beat that.

capt.hollis
10-18-2013, 09:30 PM
In Texas we can't use lead shot on Ducks, but you can hunt over the same damn pond using lead shot on Dove. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it? What a joke .