PDA

View Full Version : sprung sks firing pin?

samwithacolt
10-16-2013, 10:50 PM
For those of you who handload for the sks, do you ever get slamfires, and do any of you have a sprung firing pin(after market).
I have had a couple of slamfires and doubles on the range, which obviously gets some frowns from the range nazis. Yes, my bolt is clean, yes the pin is floating. It rattles back and forth in the bolt. I think it is just because I am using CCI large rifle(yes, I am seating them correctly).
I'm thinking of buying a spring loaded pin. Thoughts?

220swiftfn
10-17-2013, 02:07 AM
Well, if you're using the CCI Mil-spec primers and are getting slamfires, I'd tend to think that there's something else going on. The firing pin and channel need to be dry and clean on these, often there's some cosmoline left in there because someone just hosed it out with wd-40 and called it "good".

This advice null and void if you're not using CCi Mil-spec primers, and if you aren't, you might want to try them, they have a thicker cup to help with floating pins......

Dan

nhrifle
10-17-2013, 02:18 AM
It is my understanding that the primers as originally loaded in the round were harder that what is available today, which explains why you are having slam fires. I had an SKS awhile ago that had a firing pin stuck forward. Thankfully I was alone on the range, because those things have a scary-fast rate of fire in full auto! Once I cleaned the bolt, all was well.

If your bolt is clean and you are still getting slam fires, my next guess would be to try a different brand of primer. Winchester have always treated me good. Maybe some Wolf primers if you can find them.

The spring loaded firing pin mod is never a bad idea on these old warhorses though.

Multigunner
10-17-2013, 07:11 AM
When I owned a Yugo SKS the first time I loaded it I racked the action with muzzle pointed straight down and then checked that round for damage. I had expected bullet nose damage but instead found a very deep dent in the primer. I was surprised that it hadn't slam fired with such a deep dent, had it not been a milspec cartridge it probably would have gone off.
I figure that letting the bolt fly forwards when the rifle is pointed down increases the problem by adding the weight of the pin and reducing friction.

Apparently the original design called for a pin return spring but they found these could be a source of misfires in extreme sub zero weather due to thickened lubes.

andreadavide
10-17-2013, 07:34 AM
I'd rather work on the primer side rather than tweaking a good project.
The SKS is a wonderful weapon in itself.

Shooter6br
10-17-2013, 08:35 AM
I replaced mine with SS spring loaded pin for safety

samwithacolt
10-17-2013, 08:47 AM
The last time it happened, I did have it pointing down as I wanted it pointing in a safe direction. It blew a nice hole in the dirt. I can only get the regular CCI large rifle locally, and I'm lucky if I can even get those. I think I'll buy the sprung pin. Why take the chance of accidentally letting one go?

blueeyephil
10-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I put the spring firing pin in mine as a precaution. But now my mil ammo has misfires. I've been thinking about putting the original back in. I don't reload for this one, so I'm not using the softer primers.

zomby woof
10-17-2013, 12:05 PM
You said the bolt is clean and it floats, but did you take the firing pin out and check the channel. I had the same problem with my Romainian. The bolt was clean and the pin floated. I took apart the bolt and there was cosmolene inside the bolt. Check this first before buying a spring kit.

Multigunner
10-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I've seen images of tiny discs of primer cup plating and lacquer that were pushed into the firing pin hole in the bolt face and gathered in the channel causing a pin to stick.
There were a surprising number of these cleaned from the bolt in those images.
Probably an issue with certain lots of ammo, or it the firing pin opening gets a sharp ridge from excessive dry firing.

gew98
10-17-2013, 09:19 PM
I've seen images of tiny discs of primer cup plating and lacquer that were pushed into the firing pin hole in the bolt face and gathered in the channel causing a pin to stick.
There were a surprising number of these cleaned from the bolt in those images.
Probably an issue with certain lots of ammo, or it the firing pin opening gets a sharp ridge from excessive dry firing.

Back in the 80's when vietnam era chinese 7,62x39 in 1100 round cases on 10 round chargers was available for less than $85 delivered I shot many thousands of rounds out of two vietnam bringbacks with zero issues regarding ammo. One rifle I had to replace the handguard/gas tube assy as it was bullet holed. Same rifle was badly pitted inside and out and absolutely hated brass cased ammo. But same era ammo as the rifle was made functioned through it without a hitch. Those were the days when you could take two 1100 rd crates and two SKS's to the sand pit and when one rifle got to hot to hold or see the sights through the heat waves you folded out it's bayonet and stuck it in the sand....and onto the next SKS.
The copper washed steel cased , steel jacketed boat tailed chinese ball ammo of that era was exceedingly good quality

milprileb
10-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Back in the 80's when vietnam era chinese 7,62x39 in 1100 round cases on 10 round chargers was available for less than $85 delivered I shot many thousands of rounds out of two vietnam bringbacks with zero issues regarding ammo. The copper washed steel cased , steel jacketed boat tailed chinese ball ammo of that era was exceedingly good quality

I am unaware of any SKS or AK 47 fired at me in Viet Nam that did not function flawlessly with Chicom 762x39mm ammo. but hey... that is just a unappreciative GI venting his opinion.

KCSO
10-18-2013, 09:40 AM
On every SKS we sell I strip the bolt and clean the firing pin chanel. So far all of them were full of dry sticky cosmoline and once they get cold they slam or go full auto. If not that check to see if the tip of the pin is bent. I have never had a slam fire from a properly cleaned gun in good condition.