PDA

View Full Version : Ejector model Handi rifles

glockky
10-16-2013, 09:37 PM
I was just wondering what your all's thoughts were on handi rifles with ejectors instead of extractors?

Lonegun1894
10-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Mine are ejectors, so it is what I am used to and prefer. I recently shot a friends extractor and it shot just as well, but I had to remind myself that I had to extract the case instead of the gun doing it for me. I really don't see much difference, but think I would prefer extractors for range use and ejectors for hunting.

barrabruce
10-17-2013, 01:28 AM
ejector can be a pain sometimes.
Ejects case when you don't want it to and doesn't take much to lock a case in requiring a cleaning rod to extract.
A positive extractor could be a good thing.
I put a bit of cardboard to stop the ejector working when I want too.

I tend to ding my cases up which irritates me after only 50-60 firings.

Both good and bad .When I grew up an ejector was considered way more sufffisticated than extractors in shotguns anyways.

rbuck351
10-17-2013, 05:24 AM
I have a 22H ejector type and you have to be careful where it's pointed when opened or the brass is gone.

Jeff H
10-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Ejectors much preferred.

Gloves are required for the better part of the year here and for most of hunting season anyway. Picking at little case heads with gloves, or cold fingers, is silly when you could have the gun simply get the case out of the way for the next.

It's plenty easy to catch or capture an ejected case. I don't understand when I read of complaints that it's a hazard to one's eyesight either. If you have a firearm in your hands, you should already be using eye protection and should also have an idea where you should and shouldn't be pointing things.

10-17-2013, 06:44 AM
What lonegun1984 said.

bikerbeans
10-17-2013, 06:47 AM
The ejector or extractor dates a Handirifle CF barrel. About 10 years ago, HR1871 started switching from ejectors to extractors (their shotguns are still ejectors). It took them a few years to implement this change. In the case of some handi barrels, 444M & 223 come to mind, the twist rate also changed at about the same time as the ejector switch. The 444M from 1:38 to 1:20 (also, the bore seems to be a tad "tighter" on the 1:20 twist barrels) and 223 from 1:12 to 1:9.

It is possible to modify a Handi ejector to extractor or vice versus. If anyone is interested in doing that, send me a PM and I will get you the information.

thanks

BB

Jeff H
10-18-2013, 09:11 AM
......It is possible to modify a Handi ejector to extractor or vice versus. If anyone is interested in doing that, send me a PM and I will get you the information.

thanks

BB

Does that work on the "GenII" extractors? I think I have seen the info you are talking about and I have gone over it many times trying to determine if it will work with the one I have. My extractor cam is the little dog leg thing and there's a flat spring on top of the extractor.

I am liking my little AAC Handi so much, it's highly likely it will be mine for a long time and I want to convert it quite badly. I have a 1:9 ejector .223 Synthetic Youth from which I could determine hole spacing.

Thanks.

Jeff

NVScouter
10-21-2013, 12:14 PM
My handi in 45-70 is ejector and my BC is extractor. I really like the ejector better.

vabeachman
10-21-2013, 02:35 PM
i got an ejector one. wish i had an extraction. 22h brass to a pia to find.

Hammerhead
10-21-2013, 03:04 PM
My older Handi (357/30-30/410) is an ejector barrel and I always liked that. I got in the habit of catching the shell every time I opened the action.
Then I bought a 45 Colt Classic with extractor. I got used to the extractor, and now the ejector sometimes catches me off guard.
The 357 brass in particular really comes out fast and you have to be ready.
I guess after owning both I prefer the extractor because I can choose when I want to remove a spent or unspent cartridge.

Jeff H
10-21-2013, 05:08 PM
My older Handi (357/30-30/410) is an ejector barrel and I always liked that. I got in the habit of catching the shell every time I opened the action.
Then I bought a 45 Colt Classic with extractor. I got used to the extractor, and now the ejector sometimes catches me off guard.
The 357 brass in particular really comes out fast and you have to be ready.
I guess after owning both I prefer the extractor because I can choose when I want to remove a spent or unspent cartridge.

If I had an extractor .357, I'd happily trade you.

Over on GBO, there are instructions in the FAQs on how to convert from ejector to extractor. Looks easier than going the other way.

rbuck351
10-22-2013, 07:35 AM
If you think the 357 brass comes out fast, try a hornet. It will launch empties 20/30 feet if you're not careful where the breech is pointed. I try to have them hit my chest, but if you miss and let one fly over your shoulder while in the field it's gone.

vabeachman
10-22-2013, 10:04 AM
If you think the 357 brass comes out fast, try a hornet. It will launch empties 20/30 feet if you're not careful where the breech is pointed. I try to have them hit my chest, but if you miss and let one fly over your shoulder while in the field it's gone.
You got that right. Going change mine over to extraction. Seems pretty easy, just got to get a dremel tool.
Here is the webpage that shows how. http://www.brimstonepistoleros.com/articles/hr-ejector-mod.html

badgeredd
10-22-2013, 11:09 AM
It really is quite easy to soften the ejection so brass doesn't violently fly out of the chamber. Just remove a little from the spring length.

Edd

dagger dog
10-22-2013, 03:52 PM
I been popped on the head too many times, and I don't like to mistreat my brass, so it's extractor for me, plus I ain't fast enough to get off a second shot any way.

stana
10-23-2013, 09:15 AM
I hate the stuck case syndrome in handys. Is an extractor more positive than the ejector? How do you tell if you have a extractor? I just picked up a like new Handy 357 that just extracts. That was unexpected, but I'll be happy if it's more positive.

Jeff H
10-23-2013, 05:19 PM
I hate the stuck case syndrome in handys. Is an extractor more positive than the ejector? How do you tell if you have a extractor? I just picked up a like new Handy 357 that just extracts. That was unexpected, but I'll be happy if it's more positive.

From the ones I have had and examined, the roll pin that sticks out the sides of the lug and engages the sides (inside) of the receiver is what actuates the ejector or extractor. On the extractors, the camming action caused by you opening the action extracts the case. On the ejectors, the camming action if effectively tripping a sear (so to speak) which allows a spring to do the extraction. From my limited observations, I would guess that the extractor could be more reliable in that respect.

I have heard of, but have never experienced, cases sticking in a Handi, but I also don't load at the top end in them and never shoot enough at one time that a dirty chamber would be a contributor. Most of the Handi chambers I have had looked like they were threaded instead of reamed - my .223 and 300 BLK being the exceptions.

I could imagine that a little cleanup work on the extractor/ejector could improve things too - as none of mine have been finished to a high degree outside, let alone inside. It has been suggested on GBO that you can boost the ejector force by inserting a BB ahead of the spring to assist in evicting balky cases. Polishing chambers is mentioned as well. The only work I have done on the 300 BLK has been to clean up the extractor and I did that before I even shot it.

John Boy
10-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Have a H&R BC with extra Target Model barrel. Have no issues with the ejectors, just cup ones palm over the chamber with ejection - case comes right into the hand. Actually find it easier than pulling the case out with an extractor

Jeff H
10-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Have a H&R BC with extra Target Model barrel. Have no issues with the ejectors, just cup ones palm over the chamber with ejection - case comes right into the hand..........

Even with gloves on.

Hammerhead
10-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Yup, just don't forget.

glockky
10-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Well I picked up an ejector 30-06 ill let you know what I think after a trip to the range.

Bullshop Junior
10-27-2013, 04:14 AM
I prefer the extractor.

glockky
11-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Well I took the 30-06 to the range today and was very suprised. My 180grain ballistic tips shot just over an inch at 90yds with a four shot group.

Then I tried some 165gr GC lead bullets loaded with a couple charges of 30-31 and got a 4"-5" group at 90 yds. No leading just bad accuracy guess I have some more load development. Any suggestions?

Hammerhead
11-03-2013, 06:39 PM
My Handi has a very short throat, so I load lead bullets very close to the lands. Some of my light lead loads engage the lands.
I never shoot lead after jacketed (or visa-versa). I clean it real well after shooting jacketed with a good copper solvent, then clean the bore again with mineral spirits, then a thin coat of liquid alox in the bore to 'butter' it. The alox dries down to nothing.
All my lead bullets get coated with liquid alox as a second lube. Sounds like work, but it really makes for an accurate, easy to clean gun.
A few patches wet with mineral spirits cleans the bore real nice. No more scrubbing lead.
I do the same with my .357 Handi barrel and lead loads.

glockky
11-03-2013, 07:56 PM
So u think the bore being dirty from 4 or 5 jacketed rounds can cause the lead to shoot bad

Hammerhead
11-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Don't know, just telling you what I do to maximize accuracy in my gun.