PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying what kind of junk I bought.

greywuuf
10-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Well I bought some old gun parts... They apear to be mid 19th century original cap lock. Can any one help me identify it?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=370359231

Is that percussion drum a factory thing? It looks like a conversion piece to me, but the again I do not see mount holes on the side plate for a hammer (frizzen) spring.....the entry pipe does not seem to match the rest and the bent buttplate suggest a wide, flat, rounded toe....something like an English fowler. It is a .69 cal. Smooth bore. So... Other than rusty junk, what did I impulse buy?

mooman76
10-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Some of it like the barrel looks old but some parts like the drum don't look that old. It's common though for older guns to have needed parts replaced over the years. That's the best I got, the rest are common parts and may or may not be old.

salpal48
10-16-2013, 08:31 PM
from Your Pictures The parts seem to be english. butt plate , trigger guard, Rod cap and wedge slots and wedge are could be 1837 or 1841 brunswick . Those 2 had an elongated butt plate but they were in Brass . The lock is sort of generic except for the vertical line in the rear
Hope this helps

greywuuf
10-16-2013, 08:38 PM
It all helps, I am trying to decide what stock to build for it, and also if I should "restore" it, or leave it "distressed"

KyBill
10-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Leave it distressed when you do a stock you will need to rough it a bit . I have only redone one to good condition ! But beauty is in the eye of the OWNER . you may even pick up an ole stock to modify.Happy hunting in the sea of iron . you can tell my old habits from my email address seaofiron@yahoo.com KyBill