PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my new h&r 45-70 single shot

crackerjack57
10-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Hello again Ladies and Gents.

Thanx so much for all your help so far with the issues I was having with my 7.62x39 in both the norinco Bolt and my Russian SKS. after finishing i am shooting 180-200 grainers and even paper patched getting shots touching at 100y with the Norinco and about 1 1/2-2" with the sks. after I got the paper patching thing mastered (or at least closer to mastered) its hard to believe what a piece of paper can do!!

I bought a new toy! Single shot H&R 45-70. where to start!! I want to reload, am not opposed to paper patching, I need to buy proper molds for that rifle and anything else needed. am casting for everything else already so what am I best to get? hollow base mold? im thinking around the 405ish grain area. any loads that could use powder that I am already using? 2400, 1680, 4227 and unique. im thinking that 1700 ft lb range and better. the old style lee loader or conventional dies???

I'm open to suggestions, loads, stories and if you wouldn't mind a brief reason for your suggestion so I can learn. for example, on the 7.62x39 i finally found out that I could shoot a 200-220 grain bullet in either of my rifles and the accuracy at distance is something I never would of thought but someone gave me a little additional insight and challenged me to try.

Thanx for the insights and looking forward to some great input.

aspangler
10-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Nice grab. The H&R, is it a Handi rifle of a Trap door? A good place to start might be the load that I use. It is Trapdoor level with about what you are asking for. It is 25 gr. of 2400 with a dacron filler and a Lee 405 gr 457 Fn boolit poored out of 50/50 pure/ wheel weights. Air cooled and seated to 2.55 in. Lubed with LEE liquid alox. This load hols 5 shot groups at 100 of less than 11/2 inches.Mild recoil and mild pressures as well. Try it. I think you will like it.

crackerjack57
10-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Nice grab. The H&R, is it a Handi rifle of a Trap door? A good place to start might be the load that I use. It is Trapdoor level with about what you are asking for. It is 25 gr. of 2400 with a dacron filler and a Lee 405 gr 457 Fn boolit poored out of 50/50 pure/ wheel weights. Air cooled and seated to 2.55 in. Lubed with LEE liquid alox. This load hols 5 shot groups at 100 of less than 11/2 inches.Mild recoil and mild pressures as well. Try it. I think you will like it.

Ok thanx. That gives me a starting point. My handy rifle is brand new. Just crack barrel, load, lock and fire. Don't think that's a trap door. It's a modern rifle. What are the reasons for hollow vs solid base? Paper patched or are gas checks needed? What diameter bullits should I be casting? Allow what fps can I expect from your load and ranges? By the way, thanx for the input.

Jupiter7
10-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Just in case you're looking through load manuals, the handi rifle will handle loads up to the lever action pressure limits. Leaves lots of room for load development.

TCLouis
10-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Someone I used to shoot with at the local range had one years ago.

His statement was, 'Your shoulder will give out before the gun does.'

Tackleberry41
10-17-2013, 08:58 AM
I shoot the 500gr lee bullets out of mine with 12.6gr of unique, that gets me subsonic.