PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Winchester Model 1200 - Can anyone help me with some info!?

olivestab
10-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Hello, I just made a sudden deal on a Winchester Model 1200 in mint condition, I am Very, very happy.

I've been a newbie enthusiast for the past 2 years and I've done alot of research on guns before I buy them, but this deal was very sudden. I have been planning to look up shotgun information when I had the money to buy one in the future, but someone wanted to trade me their shotgun for a guitar I was selling!!!

Anyways, I have a beautiful shotgun, and with the small amount of research Ive done so far, it turns out that Its a gun that I would have wanted.

Its got some chokes, I think it may be 28 or 26, I cannot tell.
Its chambered in 12 gauge @ 2 3/4s.

I guess my only question is what I cant shoot out of it?
I would rather forget the chokes and have more choices to shoot.
As far as what type of 12 gauge, Something suitable to shoot pirates with, or possible home defense.
(maybe a little hunting)

Hogtamer
10-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Well, a 12 ga will handle anything that walks, crawls or flies. The issue is not what you can't shoot, but matching a load for your intended purpose. It is a versatile weapon, able to kill a deer @ 100 yds with the appropriate slug, take down upland birds and waterfowl with appropriate shot loads, or defend your home with a load of buckshot. The first thing to do is learn ow to handle it SAFELY, always treating it as if we're loaded to kill! Be safe above all and have fun with your new weapon. Lots of help here on this site whatever you pursuit.

olivestab
10-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Well, a 12 ga will handle anything that walks, crawls or flies. The issue is not what you can't shoot, but matching a load for your intended purpose. It is a versatile weapon, able to kill a deer @ 100 yds with the appropriate slug, take down upland birds and waterfowl with appropriate shot loads, or defend your home with a load of buckshot. The first thing to do is learn ow to handle it SAFELY, always treating it as if we're loaded to kill! Be safe above all and have fun with your new weapon. Lots of help here on this site whatever you pursuit.

Thanks alot, I made this thread before I did some research and found that I can pretty much shoot anything that fits ins a 12 GA 2 3/4s as long as I have the widest choke on the barrel.

My only other question is ammo types like steel shot, I dont know what that is, but I hear that only certain shotguns can shoot it.

William Yanda
10-16-2013, 07:16 PM
You should not shoot that. It will make a loud noise and push hard on your shoulder. Send it to me for proper disposal.

olivestab
10-16-2013, 07:24 PM
You should not shoot that. It will make a loud noise and push hard on your shoulder. Send it to me for proper disposal.

Thanks for the generous offer, I might also send you my mosin nagant, It was also very loud and hurt my shoulder! :(

dragon813gt
10-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Steel shot is for hunting waterfowl. Idiots got involved so you haven't been able to shoot lead over water for awhile now. Chokes are usually whats rated for steel shot. And the pattern will be different then lead. I can't remember if the pattern opens up of closes compared to lead. The newer ones say right on them what pattern they are for lead/steel.

olivestab
10-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Steel shot is for hunting waterfowl. Idiots got involved so you haven't been able to shoot lead over water for awhile now. Chokes are usually whats rated for steel shot. And the pattern will be different then lead. I can't remember if the pattern opens up of closes compared to lead. The newer ones say right on them what pattern they are for lead/steel.

Well I may be shooting over water but it wont be waterfowl.
I guess Ill just stay away from oddities and stick with lead...

bikerbeans
10-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Once you see the price of a box of non-lead 12ga shotshells you will want to stick with lead shot. There are some shotguns with removable choke tubes that are not recommended for shooting steel shot. I have no clue if your 1200 is one of them. I bought a new 1200 in the early 70s, don't remember much about it other than it was a big step up from the rusty, chopped barrel break action 12 I was hunting with.

BB

BB

dverna
10-16-2013, 10:33 PM
The 1200 was my first shotgun. It had a Hydrocoil stock on it. Not a bad gun at all but no heirloom. I was dirt poor and used a MEC 600 Jr to load shells. Man that was over 40 years ago.

Like others have said it will handle almost any job you want a shotgun to do.

Good luck with it.

Don Verna

Hardcast416taylor
10-17-2013, 03:02 PM
I`ve had 2 of the Win. 1200 shotgun. The Win chokes you mention are probably from IC (improved cyclinder) or Mod. (modified choke) or Full that needs no explanation. Modified choke will be an almost universal use choke tube for most all uses. If you wish to shoot all lead slugs (not the sabot version) in this barrel you can use the IC tube with better results since it has little restriction to contact the sides of a slug. The Mod tube will also handle a slug, just not as well. For about anything except ducks and geese an 1 1/4 oz load of lead shot #5 or #6 will be fine. Low brass target shells are also fine for rabbits and squirrels as well as clay pigeons.Robert

kostner
10-17-2013, 08:37 PM
I have two Winchester 1300 and love them both. Also have a Mec Jr. amd reload both shoot & slug. My first shot gun came off a police boat and cost $100 and the second came from a friend that need $200 both are smooth shooting guns. Happy to own them them. You will love your too.