PDA

View Full Version : XD45 and 230 Grain boolits. You're experience?

Murphy
10-16-2013, 07:44 AM
I have yet to try cast boolits in my XD45, but I have done a good deal of online reading so far.

*PLEASE* only reply to your experience using 230 Grain RNL or TC style boolits. 200 Grain boolits, etc need not reply.

In particular, the Lyman style #452374 and LEE 230 Truncated styles. No tumble lube designs.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Murphy

RobS
10-16-2013, 08:16 AM
The XD line have barrels with short throats as does many newer semi-auto hand guns these days. The Lyman 452374 is a nice design however the newer molds from Lyman can cast undersized. I use to own an older Lyman 452374 mold that was actually a bit different than the today's design but both of them shot well and function like butter through an XD. The Lee 230 TC design will drop closer to 235 grains or a touch more but the boolit does function very well once you figure out the COAL needed to chamber. The only thing that I don't like about the Lee TC is that its a bevel base but it wasn't a deal breaker. The Lee TC boolit was the more accurate for me out of my XD. If I was going to choose, and knowing I prefer a flat meplat, it would be the Lee TC because it was more accurate for my needs. Now-a-days, I designed my own 230 grain boolit that I use and it's a good, accurate one that I can use as both a revolver and a pistol boolit. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-235R-D.png

Murphy
10-17-2013, 07:33 AM
RobS,

Thanks for your reply. After much reading, it seems to be a trial and error experiment particular unto each gun.

I do like the style of the LEE 230 TC over the Lyman #452374, the meplat of course being the biggest reason. I've always liked the design just for that reason. And, its factory available. I already have one six cavity LEE 230 TC and intend to start with it. I'll most likely be focusing on seating depth and go from there. The old standard of pulling the barrel and using it as a guage, doesn't seem to be the 'norm' for the XD's. But thats part of the fun at times.

Any others care to chime in with their experience and the XD45 with a Lyman #452374 or the LEE 230 Grain TC (non-tumble lube) boolit?

Thanks,

Murphy

HiVelocity
10-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Murph, Why non-tumble lube bullet?

I shoot the Lee 230gr tumble lube in my XDs, as well as the NOE 452-230-hp/rnfp with NO problems. The tumble lube bullet isn't a bevel base, its a flat base. Just food for thought.

I'm also using plain based gas checks too.

HV

LUCKYDAWG13
10-18-2013, 09:33 PM
i use the Lyman #452374 in my XDs works just fine or it did when i sent it back i use bullseye & redDot powders

Murphy
10-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

HiVelocity, due to influences like Skeeter Skelton and others from back in the day I've just always been a fan of grease groove boolits. I know I can change this at anytime, I have just never been a fan of not being able to cast, lube and load a boolit in the same afternoon. Old school thinking I know, but it's part of how I've done it for decades now.

Thanks for your input and thought's.

Murphy