PDA

View Full Version : Lubing Bullets?

terryt
10-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Hi:

Does anyone lube their bullets while they are still warm "NOT HOT" after coming out of the mold?
Is their a way to lube a bullet and then put it in the tumble to apply the lube?

I am looking for a way to lube the bullets without running them though a sizes.

Thanks,

Terryt

TMenezes
10-16-2013, 12:58 AM
Why yes I do. I prefer tumble lubing and shooting as cast. No sizing for the bulk of my shooting. I do have one 429421 mold that casts so big that I feel its better to size.

MtGun44
10-16-2013, 01:48 AM
Never. I size and lube all my boolits, room temp boolit and lube.

Bill

Edubya
10-16-2013, 06:55 AM
Give it a try and tell us how it worked. Experimenting and sharing is what this site is about.

EW

dilly
10-16-2013, 08:41 AM
I've never heard of a tumble lube that requires heat, but there are a lot of tumble lubes out there. One of the foremost examples is 45-45-10.

I'm not sure I'm following you 100% but if you are just looking for a good tumble lube try that one.

mckenziedrums
10-16-2013, 09:02 AM
I'd imagine most if not all tumble lubes will stay on the lead even if it's still cooling... Can't see any reason they wouldn't still stick to a warm boolit.

mdi
10-16-2013, 12:25 PM
A lot of folks will warm their bullets before tumble lubing. Some like to warm the alox also. Warm bullets and warm alox allows for a much evener coating without applying too much lube (the most common problem with new alox users). I have thinned my alox with mineral spirits for easier application, quicker drying and occasionally warm it for the same reason, but for quite a while I have just "dip lubed" using 45-45-10. I like to cast a bunch of bullets, inspect after cooled, and when I need a batch to load, I'll lube then...

For me, it all depends on the diameter of the bullet whether I size or not. I know the throat and groove diameters of all the guns I cast for and that and that determines the bullet diameter I need. For tumble lubing/dip lubing sizing isn't a requirement.

whelenshooter
10-16-2013, 12:56 PM
You don't say whether you're lubing handgun or rifle bullets but I lube most everything I have (rifle and handgun) with liquid Alox at room temp. In cold weather I might thin it a bit (mineral spirits) to get it to flow better. It works whether sizing or not.

David

williamwaco
10-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Terry,

I think you may be trying to "over think" the issue.

It is very easy, very common, and very effective.

The most popular commercial lubes are Lee Liquid Alox and Xlox

They are EXACTLY the same. I use Xlox mostly because it is less expensive than the major brand.

You can get Xlox here: http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/order.html

You do not need to heat either the lube or the bullets.

See:

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_111201a_lla_test.htm

for more information about the effectiveness of this method.

terryt
10-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Hi:

Thanks to all of you for the information.

Terryt