PDA

View Full Version : Ohaus Mould & Handles

tonyjones
10-15-2013, 10:36 PM
I have an Ohaus 2 cavity .454 Round Ball Mould with handles that I bought from a member here at CB. The handles that came with the mould are similar to two Lyman handles for single cavity moulds that I own. The hinge pins are nearly identical and the prongs of the handles on the Ohaus mould are about 1/4" longer than those on the Lyman handles. The wood handles are the same length but the "Ohaus" handles are larger in diameter. The "Ohaus" are dark red while the Lyman are brown/tan. My Lyman handles have what appear to be brass ferrules while the "Ohaus" are chrome in color. They also have indentations to help keep the wood handles in place.

Does anyone know who made these handles and what other makes of moulds they will fit?

Thanks and regards,

Tony

Wayne Smith
10-18-2013, 07:09 PM
If RCBS is using the same size handle cuts that Ohaus did the handles are a touch thinner than the Lyman handles.

tonyjones
10-18-2013, 10:30 PM
The prongs of the "Ohaus" handles mic .317" thick while the Lyman prongs mic .314". It looks to me like the "Ohaus" handles would fit a Lyman/Ideal SC mould and that my Lyman SC handles will fit the Ohaus DC roundball mould. I'm just wondering if the "Ohaus" handles would fit a Lyman/Ideal 2 cavity mould as well as what else they might fit.

Regards,

Tony

tonyjones
10-20-2013, 09:14 PM
I went to Classics & Stickies and read (for the third time) The Right Handles Pic Thread by Suo Gan. There they were in Picture 6. My "Ohaus" handles actually are old Lyman 'large' 2 cavity handles. My old Lyman 'small' 1 cavity handles are just like those shown in Picture 7. Problem solved!

Classics & Stickies really is an excellent resource.

Best regards,

Tony