PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 1876 .45-60 WCF ammunition

deckstine
10-15-2013, 08:41 PM
New to this site. I recently purchased a Winchester Model 1876 sporting repeater using .45-60 WCF. Any suggestions for obtaining ammunition or reloading? I’ve tried to locate just the brass casings; having a hard time. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

John Allen
10-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Buffalo arms usually has the odd balls.

fouronesix
10-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Graf has the Lee dies
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/7677

Then pick up some 45-70 brass, run though the 45-60 sizing die, trim and you should be good to go. A Lyman 45 cal rifle M die works well for neck expanding for cast bullets.

The RCBS 300 & 325 grain bullets work well in the 45 cal 1876s.

missionary5155
10-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Greetings
One of my favorite calibers. First is this an origonal or one of the rescent reproductions ?
If original then I highly recommend you get some accurate throat measurments if you are going to shoot smokeless. Original Winchesters (like mine) are well noted to have fat throats. If the throat meameasures .463 and you try to shoot .458 diameter lead then accuracy could be plain awful.
BP is far easier to get working well in originals. Your case will hold about 53 grains of 3F with a creal box wad on top of the powder topped by a 300 grain soft lead boolit of proper diameter.
With the 1876 model you must be careful with the overall cartrige length so adhear to that. Too long and the loaded cartrige will stick out the front of the cartrige lifter and jam the lifter. Not real good. If this ever happens resist the temptation to force the lifter up. The better way is to open the mag tube at the muzzle. Remember the mag tube spring is under tension and the cap will want to fly away. Dump the loaded rounds out the mag and the offending cartrige should fall out also.
Buying ammo is very expensive to me. I can reload my cast boolits for about 15 cents a round. Loaded ammo is well over a dollar a shot. You can make your own brass from 45-70 brass.
These are fun rifles to get to know. Mine will rattle and clank with the best of them. But for a 100 yard hunter they will do everything I wil ever need done.
Mike in Peru