PDA

View Full Version : Starrett No. 230 for a new caster

texassako
10-15-2013, 07:19 PM
I have an extra micrometer after finding a better one at a local antique mall. I want this to go to someone who needs it. Someone who thought a Harbor Freight caliper was good enough. Or maybe someone a senior member knows of that needs one. Someone who has been asked several times how they are measuring their boolits by the experts here. It is a little worse for wear with a name engraved in it, no box, and some grinder marks here and there to fit some past application. I will decide who gets it in a few days to give people a chance to see this post.

BrassMagnet
10-16-2013, 02:41 AM
I would recommend Cag40Navy.

Jevyod
10-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Hello, been lurking for a few weeks and finally joined! I am just getting into casting ( haven't cast any yet ) But have gotten some wheel weights and sorted them. The reason I am getting into casting is I just bought my first ever handgun ( a 9mm ), and being new to handguns, I really am not a good shot. As a result, I will need to put a lot of shots downrange to learn how to shoot. With funds being rather limited, and factory ammo running at 18 per 50, I cant shoot that much. Anyway, I really could use a micrometer to slug my barrel. I only have a calipers to measure, and have been told a micrometers is better. So that's a bit about me and how I could use it! But really I am sure there are others that could use it more, so I am not at all offended if I don't get it! Blessings.
Ps. I have already been reloading a yr and a half, so I am not totally new to that!:bigsmyl2:

JB Weld
10-17-2013, 10:14 PM
I would like to put my name in the hat. I am a new hand-loader. I have spent the last year gathering supplies and components. I am getting ready to set up my bench and the one thing I have not bought yet is a caliper. I know that the Starrett would be a great addition to my small set of tools. My goal right now is to build loads for increased accuracy from my rifles. I hope to cast my own boolits one day. Especially for my 35 Rem and old Savage 840 in 30-30. I have a steady supply of lead from my friend who owns a tire store, but I have a bunch to learn before I melt any lead.

Thanks!

Baryngyl
10-18-2013, 01:57 AM
I would like to put my name in for consideration.

I have been casting off and on since about 1986 or 1987, my first mold was a Lyman for the 58 cal black powder H&R Huntsman.

I now cast for a few calibers including 7mm, .308 (30-30, 30-06, 300 win mag), .44 pistol and .458 rifle.

I have been loading and shooting all bullets as cast, tumble lubed with out sizing all this time, I been thinking about getting some Lee sizing dies and size bullets for the last few years but have not done so as I still have not slugged my bores at all mostly due to not having had soft lead (which I now have) and reading that my Harbor Freight 6 inch stainless steel calipers are not accurate enough to measure the slugs.

Thank You
Michael Grace

texassako
10-19-2013, 11:09 PM
It was a tough decision, and the micrometer will be going to Cag40Navy.