PDA

View Full Version : Wax from cheese

psl sniper
10-15-2013, 02:47 PM
i started using that red wax that comes off the baby bell cheeses as a bullet lube for 9mm loads. anyone else try it? seams to do the job and its free (lots of people at work eat them.)

williamwaco
10-15-2013, 02:58 PM
I have read that it is carnuba. That is the same as JPW.
If that is true it should work very well.

There are several posts here about using it and they report it works well.

I am currently experimenting with Turtle Wax.

psl sniper
10-15-2013, 03:46 PM
straight

psl sniper
10-15-2013, 03:47 PM
I have read that it is carnuba. That is the same as JPW.
If that is true it should work very well.

There are several posts here about using it and they report it works well.

really? lol that might be interesting.

zxcvbob
10-15-2013, 03:52 PM
I've saved a bunch of that red cheese wax; am planning to mix it with toilet ring wax to make boolit lube. I tho't the red wax would be too hard without mixing it.

psl sniper
10-15-2013, 03:58 PM
i havent had issues with it. i live in a warmer climate so it seems to stay nice and soft. ive done around 500 rnds with it. so far so good.

runfiverun
10-16-2013, 12:34 AM
it's not carnuba.
it is closer to the lube most commercial casters use.

OnceFired
10-16-2013, 12:49 AM
So you're making some of the tastiest boolits around, eh? :)

boltons75
10-16-2013, 12:53 AM
So you're making some of the tastiest boolits around, eh? :)

So when you encounter an unfriendly and need to draw on them, you can tell him "say cheese".

Grump
10-16-2013, 03:13 AM
That stuff is way too low in melt temp for me.

Quite easy to mop it up when it gets melted in the center console's cupholder. Just go out to the car at lunchtime and it's a puddle. Sops up nice with a paper napkin.

Sasquatch-1
10-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Brings a whole knew meaning to the term "eat lead sucker". I haven't used it for lube but have used it for fluxing and cleaning when smelting.

Full Mold Jack
10-16-2013, 07:43 AM
it's not carnuba.
it is closer to the lube most commercial casters use.

This.

From what I have researched babybel wax was at some point in history carnuba but no longer is.

With that said, I don't know what it is and I may be wrong.

zxcvbob
10-17-2013, 04:50 PM
if I recall correctly, cheese wax is a mixture of microcrystalline wax (kind of like synthetic beeswax) and paraffin. It might have a trace of carnauba, who knows.

Smoke4320
10-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Who said cheese doesn't kill ?
or could this be used to market to the luneys in Crazyfornia .. Its Food ! its Food ! just doing my part to feed the homeless animals !!!

runfiverun
10-18-2013, 11:18 AM
there's a link gear put up in the quest thread around page 120 or so that links to food grade/non food grade waxes, telling how they are used and their different property's.

paraffin waxes come in so many grades of hardness, melt temp, and pliability I don't think one person could keep track of them all.

youngda9
10-18-2013, 11:21 AM
I would love it if I smelled grilled cheese every time that I fired my rifle !!

geargnasher
10-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Babybel uses at least two different dips on their cheeses: A sterile, very stretchy, low-melt-point paraffin-micro blend for a sealer and a second, colored dip to protect the sealing layer during handling and storage.

I've added Babybel rinds to lube to reduce tack and improve elsasticity, it works great in small quantities.

Gear

John Allen
10-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Youngda, I was thinking the same thing.

Bassmaster
10-20-2013, 11:00 AM
I've added 6 of these rinds to my variation of Darr's lube...no problems here

montana_charlie
10-20-2013, 11:53 AM
So, how long do you boil a turtle ... to get the wax out of it?

mdi
10-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Not sure, but I believe bottle sealing wax is/was carnauba, but cheese wax wasn't. I would think pure carnauba wax would be way too hard for good lube and may be hard to keep in the grooves. I have used Maker's Mark sealing wax and it was very hard and had to be mixed with a lot of bees wax(but no so bad after I used some of the contents of the bottle...).

geargnasher
10-20-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure I could name a bottle sealing wax that is for sure carnauba anymore but maybe there are some still.

There's plenty enough carnauba in JPW if you cook off the solvents. In fact, you can make pretty good Darr lube just with JPW, a little Vaseline, and any of the high-zinc oil treatments.

Gear

alfloyd
10-23-2013, 10:07 AM
"eat lead sucker".

Do you sell lots of these suckers?
They would make your blood lead level go way up. :)

Lafaun

williamwaco
10-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Well, after 100 rounds with straight Turtle Wax, I can report "almost zero" leading.

I could see a very light trace, but one single round of the same load lubed with Xlox wiped the bore totally clean.

Load

.38 Special
358-158-RFP Lee
3.5 gr Bullseye
CCI Primer.

I am casting today but this week end I hope to have enough bullets to load up 200+ rounds of that load and do some accuracy testing.

geargnasher
10-23-2013, 09:36 PM
WW, you may recall as I've mentioned it here somewhere before, but when I was in college and casting/shooting a lot of .38 Spl. I made it a side project to fix the sticky of LLA. Cooking LLA and TW together until all the water and other solvents had finally sputtered off and then replacing them with a variety of paint-type solvents (denatured alcohol, laquer thinner, turpentine, and a few others) finally yielded something useful and similar to Recluse lube. I think alcohol was the thing I settled on as it was less finicky about residual water and emulsifiers in the TW than the other solvents were.

Gear

Sig
10-24-2013, 07:10 AM
I've added Babybel rinds to speed green to stiffen it. I thought it was carnuba. Whatever it is seems to work pretty well.

mold maker
10-24-2013, 09:38 AM
The red sealing wax on several wines, Makers Mark, cheese, and any number of others, were canuba wax, at one time. Just like modern day crayons, it has been replaced with a cheaper product. It seals, tears, and appears the same. Most use a modified plastic with red color.
Nothing is sacred. Toilet bowl wax rings used to be Bees Wax, but has been replaced with a cheaper product called "slack wax" which is the dregs from crude oil cracking.

MUSTANG
10-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Interesting.

I have yet to make my own lube, have been waiting until the large supply I bought years ago is exhausted, which is rapidly approaching. I have been saving the red wax from Sams Club/Costco Cheeses & Wine bottle seals for a few years in preparation. I also pick up JPW when I see it on a dented can sale at stores. Have quite a bit of the food grade paraffin for sealing in food canning as we can food from the garden & small orchard.

Speaking of paraffin, wonder how the paraffin and crud removed from an oil field pipeline PIG would work. One of my jobs as a teen many years ago working in the oil fields was to drive around and pick up the pigs from various sites and transport them to the yard for cleaning and repair as needed. I never had to clean one of the pigs, but just lugging them around I can tell you that the paraffin and sludge may get on you, but it does not want to come off the PIG.

Ahhh Haaa, a possible new prefabricated boolit lube product? :Bright idea::kidding:

Mustang

Grapeshot
04-10-2014, 08:45 AM
I used the cheese wax from baby belle melted in with bees wax and vegtable oil or virgin olive oil for my black powder lube. So far it has held up well in my .45 Colt and Schofield boolits and my .45-60 WCF loads for my 1876 Uberti Cross Fire Trail carbine.