PDA

View Full Version : Flintlocks

Jamesconn
10-15-2013, 08:01 AM
I would like a flintlock rifle instead of a more modern one, but all the ones I can see are expensive reproductions. I don't need a replica I just want a flintlock instead of a 209 primer rifle. Have y'all seen any?

Nobade
10-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Thompson Center Hawken and Renegade, and Lyman Great Plains rifles both work well and are not terribly expensive.

-Nobade

docone31
10-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Start here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivTWnV_rwJ0
I follow this gentleman. He does some great stuff.
Build it, takes practice but you get a better rifle.

Pb2au
10-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Thompson Center Hawken and Renegade, and Lyman Great Plains rifles both work well and are not terribly expensive.

-Nobade

+1 to this. Both make good muzzleloaders at a nice price point.

PTS
10-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Pedersoli makes a high quality black powder gun including flintlocks at medium range prices. I have and enjoy their Kentucky and Pennsylvania Long Rifle.

Old Scribe
10-18-2013, 12:00 PM
+1 to this. Both make good muzzleloaders at a nice price point.

Agreed. With flinters especially, you want quality and that comes at a price. The locks on flinters can be troublesome at times, but once it is tuned it's a thing of beauty to behold and shoot.

OverMax
10-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Have y'all seen any? Not lately. Most are hunkered down tight that own one because I think it's the on going shortage problems concerning ammo & reloading supplies. If you have time you quite easily could piece meal one together over time bidding for parts now & then on EBay. Or quite often visit your local gun shops and pawn shops (Used) Gun Racks for one. My suggestion would be to buy a new Lyman or Traditions or watch this links Recent Additions

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

Odinbreaker
10-19-2013, 03:19 PM
I have a Lyman DeerStalker flint in 54 cal with a 50 cal green mountain barrel and a 54 cal smooth bore barrel.
It works excellent.. Not traditional but an excellent gun. Has a nice recoil pad

Ajax
10-19-2013, 06:59 PM
try the http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php?fbb_session_id/3057f854a7e4101d308bf4929ad1580bf910a78605f3d820e0 e602ff9ef98944/fbb_uid/19171/

Andy

flintlock62
10-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Do you have the skills to buy a kit and put it together? Don't go cheap on a flintlock. Get a kit with a L&R lock, or a Jim Chambers. Chambers are the best.

I would like a flintlock rifle instead of a more modern one, but all the ones I can see are expensive reproductions. I don't need a replica I just want a flintlock instead of a 209 primer rifle. Have y'all seen any?

Good Cheer
10-20-2013, 07:40 PM
I've picked up Traditions flinters for pretty good prices. A Deerhunter that set me back $100 is one of the most reliable flintlocks I've fired. Having a longer smoothbore barrel put on it to make a light weight all around critter getter.

kens
10-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Start here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivTWnV_rwJ0
I follow this gentleman. He does some great stuff.
Build it, takes practice but you get a better rifle.

This guy said inlay the lock FIRST, before the breechplug.
I respectfully disagree. The touchhole should be at the end of the breechplug. you have to know where is the end of the breechplug inside the barrel

waksupi
10-20-2013, 09:59 PM
This guy said inlay the lock FIRST, before the breechplug.
I respectfully disagree. The touchhole should be at the end of the breechplug. you have to know where is the end of the breechplug inside the barrel

Absolutely.

fouronesix
10-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Jamesconn,
Good to see you're still around and saw on another post you are in college there in OK. I imagine your budget is pretty tight- as a struggling college student with little disposable income. Been there, done that but a very along time ago!

You could poke around local guns shops and bring up your interest in muzzleloaders and flintlocks. Surely somewhere in that area will be a few older types who shoot flintlocks or used to. You can be on the look out for used flintlocks or parts. Try to stay with a quality lock as others have suggested. Flinters are finicky sorts, so it pays to get a good lock to begin with. You could even get lucky and locate a muzzleloader builder somewhere in your general area. Many of them have extra parts and projects laying around.

Anyway, good luck in school and hope you can find a flintlock.