PDA

View Full Version : Pitted bore

Johnny Slam
10-15-2013, 12:10 AM
I bought a TC .50 cal Hawken and it actually shoots round balls very well. I'm concerned about rust/pitting in the bore, mostly from the tip of the muzzle going about 5 inches into the bore. I'd really like to get some feedback, hopefully to make me feel better. With a patched ball, the lead never touches the rifling like a cast maxi or ribbed bullet would, so I Imagine a pressure leak around the patch in pitted area's wouldn't be affect accuracy as an actual bullet? It shoots pretty good, so maybe it's not a big deal. I'm still getting acquainted with the rifle, but I would say it's holding a 4 inch group at 50 yards. I haven't shot with open sights in a decade, so I guess if my eyesight wasn't degraded it would be closer to 2 inch groups at 50 yards. Any opinions? Thanks.

mooman76
10-15-2013, 12:58 AM
If it shoots good enough for you, I wouldn't sweat it.

Magana559
10-15-2013, 01:04 AM
I have no idea on BP but in a smokeless rifle one would shorten and recrown the muzzle.
Might be taboo so don't quote me!! Just passing by and speaking my mind!

Nobade
10-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Should be more like 1 inch groups or better at 50 yards if it is working right. But if it is acceptable now, no sweat just use a bristle brush when you clean to get any fouling out of the pits. Otherwise it's not going to hurt anything, like you said the ball never touches the bore. If you want, it can be rebored to a larger caliber at some point in the future, or a new barrel can be installed. Shortening it isn't all that great because of the under rib, but can also be done if you desire. Oh, you can put abrasive paste on the patches and do a bit of firelapping as well if you desire. Smooths out the sharp edges of the pits and may improve accuracy.

-Nobade

Fly
10-15-2013, 10:29 AM
I had a old CVA I got for a very good price because it had not been cleaned.
Same deal pitted & I thought I would look for another barrel.But after shooting
it, I found it shot dam good.

Some times it can be used as is.
Fly

docone31
10-15-2013, 10:51 AM
I use patches lubed with lapping compound. Did well.
Five patches and it did the job.

waksupi
10-15-2013, 11:20 AM
If it shoots good, don't mess with it.

Muddydogs
10-15-2013, 11:26 AM
I have a Knight .54 I picked up used that had rust and pits in the bore. I cleaned it with some rust and bluing remover, it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with sabots. When hunting with the rifle I run a lightly oiled patch down the bore after its loaded to protect the now bare bore.

wch
10-15-2013, 12:02 PM
If the extent of the pitting is truly five inches and you want to avoid as much expense as possible, ask your gunsmith to ream out that portion of the barrel.

dondiego
10-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Soooooo, you have a .50 cal bore from breech to 5 inches from muzzle and then you have a 52 cal bore for the last 5 inches?????

wch
10-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Soooooo, you have a .50 cal bore from breech to 5 inches from muzzle and then you have a 52 cal bore for the last 5 inches?????

Yep, the smallbore guys do it often to meet requirements with their equipment: extension tubes and such.

dondiego
10-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Interesting. I assume that you wipe out any rifling.

wch
10-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Yes, but a patched ball should have attained an accurate spin and velocity before entering the "no zone".