PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone buy their 22LR cases?

303british.com
10-14-2013, 09:55 PM
I realize most people just use range pick ups, but I wondered if anyone buys spent cases from their rifle club or the scrap dealer.

I alway bought buckets from my club. We have an indoor range and several serious competitors shoot there regularly. As a result, there's a lot of higher quality brass available. I buy it from the range director. It saves him driving to the scrapyard and I get clean brass (a lot of Eley and Lapua). I pay less than $1/lb with very few throwaways.

How about you?

Utah Shooter
10-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Yes I definitely do! I do not make ANY projectiles that are not Eley or Lapua!

303british.com
10-15-2013, 03:22 PM
I get mostly Lapua, SK and Eley. Maybe 30% is Federal, Win and other mixed headstamps. I was trimming some Winchester brass to make 43 grain bullets, but I trimmed too close to the crimp mark on the case and a lot of them cracked when I point formed them. Ooops!

http://saffordsportinggoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/x22lrhlf.jpg

I won't use Win cases for my shorter bullets!

Theditchman
10-17-2013, 05:06 PM
I buy and sell them all the time

Theditchman
10-17-2013, 05:33 PM
I de-rim them and anneal and clean and sell them

newcastter
10-17-2013, 07:10 PM
I de-rim them and anneal and clean and sell them
Just out of shear curiosity what are you charging and for what kind of brass?

plus1hdcp
10-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Just out of shear curiosity what are you charging and for what kind of brass?

Also interested.

Utah Shooter
10-17-2013, 07:28 PM
You know a year ago I did 500 of them and sold them to a member here. I think he ended up paying 8 bucks or so plus shipping. Not worth my time if that is all I get for it.

Theditchman
10-17-2013, 08:03 PM
well...I only do it when I get the brass and don't know if this is the right place to say but I charge 25 per 525....I don't sort them out they are mixed make..not good for target but great for plinking...the odd 25 is just in case of a cpl missed bad ones...

newcastter
10-17-2013, 09:07 PM
You know a year ago I did 500 of them and sold them to a member here. I think he ended up paying 8 bucks or so plus shipping. Not worth my time if that is all I get for it.
Totally agree with that but I was looking more on the lines of it was worth every penny of his 8 bucks for what he got.

newcastter
10-17-2013, 09:09 PM
well...I only do it when I get the brass and don't know if this is the right place to say but I charge 25 per 525....I don't sort them out they are mixed make..not good for target but great for plinking...the odd 25 is just in case of a cpl missed bad ones...
If you get that than more power to you, I would rather buy a brick of 525 for $25 shoot them then derim etc.

Theditchman
10-17-2013, 09:44 PM
certain people seem to love them....I have a pneumatic de rimmer and can do 20 a minite with no effort then I put them in an oven at 1200 f for 20 minites ..then give them a good clean...you man did get a good bargain for 8 bucks though..

sprinkintime
10-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Around here Lapua and Ely are like gold at the range, just happy I get what I get.

Utah Shooter
10-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Totally agree with that but I was looking more on the lines of it was worth every penny of his 8 bucks for what he got.

Well this is when I first got started so I am unsure of how well they were made.

Theditchman
10-18-2013, 03:03 PM
you have to look at the time and effort thing....derimming is a really boreing process...by hand how long does it take you to de rim 500 22lr cases and clean and anneal and clean again.....if it takes you 4 hrs and bores you and can do something else you enjoy and make more than 25 bucks in those 4 hrs ..then its worth buying them....if its part of your joy to do it then of course its not....but..enough people get from me to make it worthwhile for me to do it,,but..if I was trying to make a living from it I would starve to death..lol..I would rather sell finished bullets but how can an average man afford to do that anymore...so...although a lot of people say "I would never buy at that price" enough do..I am exhausted..LOL