PDA

View Full Version : I learned something new today - derimming punches

303british.com
10-14-2013, 09:49 PM
I've only ever used Dave Corbin 22LR derimming dies. Many years ago, I bought two punch holders and some spare punches. A few months ago, I ordered five replacement punches. This is where I learned something new.

The "new " punches I ordered are 2.25 inches long. The old punches were 2.00 inches long. When I installed the newer, longer punch, I could not slide a case onto the punch. there wasn't enough clearance. I thought, "Oh, perhaps Corbins makes two different lengths for the reloading press and swaging press." So I emailed.

Dave told me that the "new" punch holders are counterbored. I emailed him back to confirm if the counterboring was 0.250 inches in. If that's the case, I have five new punches, but will have to order the holder for $50. :(

Does anyone have the counterbored punch holder and can post a picture of it?

alfloyd
10-15-2013, 01:54 AM
Why don't you just shorten the punches 1/4 inch?

Lafaun

303british.com
10-15-2013, 06:19 AM
That's my intention, but only after they have worn down, after using the new punch holder.

MUSTANG
10-15-2013, 05:28 PM
303british.com:

Not sure this will help on the derimming punch question, but I have attached a picture of the Old Style and New Style Punches from Corbin.

These are from the Corbin Core Seating Die (.224). The old top punch style for this die was 2 & 1/4" with the new style being 2 & 1/2" long. The old Style has a bushing (Required with old Style Punch) with the new style having a longer shoulder and no bushing required.

Mustang

303british.com
10-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the pictures.

Dave emailed me last night and is sending a new punch holder for free. I guess they changed the design a year or two back. He told me the counterbored holder is less prone to snapping off. I'll post a picture of the old and new holders when the new one comes in.

303british.com
10-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Here's a picture of it from the corbins.com website. I ordered a second just in case something happens. You cannot see the counterboring. As I said, I'll post a close up of it when they arrive.

MUSTANG
10-16-2013, 06:22 PM
303british.com:

I see that your set up is for a Standard press (RCBS, Lee, Lyman, etc), whereas mine is for the Corbin CSP-1 press.

Mustang

303british.com
10-16-2013, 06:56 PM
I bought a pneumatic press from a member here and it is made from an RCBS reloading press. Before that, I used an RCBS Rockchucker to form jackets. I do have an RCECO 224/6mm jacket making set, but have not used it, except to try when first I got it.

I like to keep my bullet making dies mounted all the time on their presses. The bullet making dies are mounted to a Series II press and two Walnut Hill presses.

steady1
10-16-2013, 09:51 PM
My RCBS could use a shorter punch length to hit the sweet spot. I cant adjust the long punch due to die being so high in the threaded top of the press. If it was shorter, I have more threads to lower the die for proper fit. Cutting it off would be a good option.