PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe ?

milkman
10-14-2013, 06:30 PM
I have just started having problems with the primers backing out on my 35 Whelen. After a great deal of help I determined that my loads were not creating enough pressure and the shoulder was being set back creating a head space problem.
Since my original loads had the boolit being engraved by the rifling and the cartridge was still forced forward, my plan is to reverse the boolit and place the gas check against the rifling, and load the original 38.5g of Rel 15 which Quickload shows as creating 21K psi.
Am I overlooking something hazardous and is that enough pressure to get the shoulder blown back out?

leadman
10-14-2013, 07:25 PM
An easier and cheaper way to blow the shoulder forward is to use Cream of Wheat cereal as a filler, no bullet or boolit. I would start with a powder like Unigue at about 15 grs, fill case to the top of the neck with COW, push some wax in the case mouth to keep the contents in the case. Load and fire. If the case did not form all the way up the charge 1 gr and try again until it forms correctly.

Doing what you propose is safe and should not creat a hazard unless the throat is so long that the driving bands are not in the case. The load you are using is probably way on the light side as a 180gr jacketed on Alliant's website has 60grs listed as max. Have you thought of using a polyfil filler with this load?

Posting the weight of the boolit you are using would help.

milkman
10-14-2013, 09:07 PM
The boolit weight is 285g, 38.5g Rel 15 and has been loaded in contact with the rifling and the shoulder was still pushed about 15 thousandths back after multiple firings because of the low pressure load. I don't think loading with nothing to restrain forward movement of the case would result in the shoulder being moved back forward. But I have been wrong before.

MtGun44
10-15-2013, 02:29 AM
With nothing to push the case back, you just stretch it near the base, starting a case separation
process, not good.

Bill