PDA

View Full Version : Question on shell holders in regards to vintage single stage presses

bedbugbilly
10-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Looking for some info in regards to different makes of vintage single stage presses - mainly RCBS, Lyman and Pacific -

I was able to find a vintage RCBS Jr3 - do the "universal" shell holders as Lee sells fit these older presses?

I'm also looking at a couple of older single stage presses - a Lyman Spartan and a Pacific that a guy has. Do the universal shell holders like Lee sells fit those as well?

From what I'm seeing on vintage Herter's presses - they take a shell holder that is different and a person would have to find Herters to fit those - is that correct?

I got the RCBS Jr3 to use for sizing, depriving and trimming cases if necessary. I'm looking at either the Lyman Spartan or the Pacific to take and leave at my place in AZ to do small batch loading (38 spls). For the price of a set of Lee 38 spl dies - I'd probably just get an extra set and leave them there with the press and only have to take a minimum of things to reload back and forth.

Thanks

LUCKYDAWG13
10-14-2013, 07:29 PM
my Lyman Comet single stage press takes a (J) shellholder but i got a X/J adapter
for it to take a standard shellholder my Lyman ST turret press takes a standard

LUBEDUDE
10-15-2013, 01:12 AM
It depends upon how old your Pacific is. Mine is from the mid-50's and takes individual shell holder rams. My understanding is that an RCBS new style ram that accepts new style shell holders will work in these. However, if yours accepts individual shell holders, Lee should work, just so we are not confusing Lee Hand Held Primer Shell Holders-which ARE different.

You are correct about the Herters. They are a totally different animal.

As far as the Lyman Spartan. I have never had my hands on on one. I can't say for sure. What I can say is my Lyman All American an EZ Loader do Not take Lee type shell holders. Either way, I would think that the Spartan could be converted over if it does do not.

Hopefully someone will be along with a more inclusive answer.

bedbugbilly
10-15-2013, 07:57 AM
LUBEDUDE - yes, I'm talking about the shell holders that go on the ram of the loading press

Green Frog
10-15-2013, 12:47 PM
I've seen the modern, "standard" shell holders referred to as "RCBS-type" shell holders, and yes, if the RCBS press' ram takes interchangeable shell holders, then the modern standard will fit. There have been various companies that have made adaptors to use the RCBS-type on Lyman Js, Echo, Herter, Lachmiller and other proprietary type rams.

Froggie

Wayne Smith
10-15-2013, 10:26 PM
My Jr2 uses standard shell holders, I would assume your Jr3 would as well as mine is apparently earlier.

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-16-2013, 12:15 PM
there are adapters readily available for the Herters press, which accept the RCBS-universal style shell holders

gwpercle
10-16-2013, 05:00 PM
The Lyman Spartan I had used universal snap in shell holders. I am using a Pacific Super it's a big "C" press and it too uses the universal holders.
CH4D makes all kinds of adapters and replacement rams to convert the older ones to universal snap in. They got a Eagle Cobra press usable again for me with an adapter.
Everything depends on how "vintage" the press is...reguardless , most presses can be put back in sevice with parts from CH4D.
If you can get an older one cheap, go for it, chances are it can be brought back.
Gary